How many drones in one ranch expansion???

Help for your technical issues with Slime Rancher

How many drones in one ranch expansion???

Postby Outcheese22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:43 pm

How many drones in one ranch expansion??? You see, in the trailer for the new drone up date, there are clearly three drones in the Overgrowth, but, in the actual game, you can only have two drones in one ranch expansion. So, is it just a bug in the game, or was it meant on purpose??
Outcheese22
Plort

Re: How many drones in one ranch expansion???

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:59 pm

It's on purpose.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby rabbitslime » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Maybe the drone limit should be tied to the ranch expansion size. I feel like the main are needs 2 to 3 more drones. This will just make my slow 40 largo farm more automatic.
Either this, or the drone limit should be tied to how many slimes you have. E.g. 5 drones if you slime population is over 200, 6 if its over 180, 7 if its over 160 and so on. Excess drones you place are permanently inactive.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:40 am

You're overlooking the whole reason drones were created. The development roadmap states regarding drones, "Our goal with drones is to somewhat reduce the amount of manual work required to keep your ranch running while still retaining the spirit of the game we have now." Emphasis added to call out the key aspects of the quote.

If you play on PC, there are mods available to allow more drones (up to 5 per expansion I think). For consoles (and PC for that matter) it's more a matter of changing your play style around the drones. I've saved myself at minimum 10 minutes / 10 in-game hours (and up to 20 minutes / 20 in-game hours) per in-game day with the drones. Right now it takes me 2 minutes to run from one side of my ranch to the other handling food and / or plorts as needed.

That is significant, and has left so much more time for every other aspect of the game. In my experience and opinion, any more than 2 drones would actually take away from the game, not add to it... as you would have little else to do except explore (which at some point there won't be any more to explore), or do science (which one day will also be unneeded as you have 999 of each of those items).
Jeb
Rancher

Postby rabbitslime » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 am

Jeb wrote:If you play on PC, there are mods available to allow more drones (up to 5 per expansion I think). For consoles (and PC for that matter) it's more a matter of changing your play style around the drones. I've saved myself at minimum 10 minutes / 10 in-game hours (and up to 20 minutes / 20 in-game hours) per in-game day with the drones. Right now it takes me 2 minutes to run from one side of my ranch to the other handling food and / or plorts as needed.

That is significant, and has left so much more time for every other aspect of the game. In my experience and opinion, any more than 2 drones would actually take away from the game, not add to it... as you would have little else to do except explore (which at some point there won't be any more to explore), or do science (which one day will also be unneeded as you have 999 of each of those items).

I'd prefer the original game and unmodded. The dev's should really change the limit in certain expansions. There's no way I can keep 4 types of largoes and have them automatically fed without messing the feeding receptacles. I mean a drone can feed silver parsnips to a rad largo.

The only point in exploring is collecting ornaments, roostroes(I feed pure hunter slimes and didn't bother to largo them or get a coop, their 20!) and un-plant-able crops (gilded ginger and kookadoba).
rabbitslime
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

rabbitslime wrote:There's no way I can keep 4 types of largoes and have them automatically fed without messing the feeding receptacles.

I beg to differ. I keep 4 corrals of different largos (8 largos per corral) on The Ranch expansion, and my two drones keep up with all the food-related needs.

Though I only feed them pogofruit, as I don't need a favorite food for double the plorts, and still have two silos filled to the brim with each of those plorts (900 of each).

This requires, as I mentioned, a change to your play style though. I know everyone has their way, and it'd be silly to try and force people to do it one specific way, but 2 drones really is enough.

All I do to manage my ranch at any given time is either manually sell or refine plorts as needed... and you could re-program a drone at the right time to do this for you while keeping your silos full.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby rabbitslime » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 am

Actually the only thing I order drones is to collect plorts and have them sell it. I have 2 more unused drones in the overgrowth, and I left them there on purpose so that if a new update comes with the feature of transferring food to warp depots using drones. It seems drones them selves need more purpose, like depositing a certain number of materials into a refinery, refinery link or having them interact with warp depots.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Return to Technical Support