Would fan games be a possibility?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Would fan games be a possibility?

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:06 am

So... I think it may be best if this question is specifically addressed to @Kara, as I'm really looking for an official Monomi Park view.

A little while back I brought up the idea of a retro-style, and moddable, prequel to the game, here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9252

Having since purchased RPG Maker VX Ace, I now would like to seriously ask: What would be the official position on a *not for sale* fan RPG in the Slime Rancher universe, given three very important points:

-1- NOT FOR SALE. There is a community for hosting free games. Selling a fan game would blatantly break copyright and IP laws, so that will never be a factor.

-2- A clear statement of Monomi Park's ownership of IP. An explicit list of terms would probably be best.

-3- Nothing clearly defamatory or objectionable.

Just to lay everything out here, I have a few ideas that I think may be fun, but I'm not entirely sure I would be able to carry these out. I would also be talking about a small "labor of love" fan game. I'm not a publisher.

If Monomi Park would prefer to avoid any potential IP conflict, I would rather just nip this in the bud.

Thank you.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Re: Would fan games be a possibility?

Postby GravityCat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:27 am

A fangame based on Slime Rancher was being developed by certain users on the SR Wiki Discord some time back. They asked for permission and were told no, so it was abandoned.

I believe the reasoning was because it was based on Intellectual Property and wasn't being developed by Monomi Park themselves, so they couldn't allow it.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Ironically, I recently listened to a podcast about a very different issue, that explained that US law has a mindset that anything you don't defend is a precedent that you are relinquishing control.

Well, I started a single map, so perhaps I can use it for something else. No big loss. :-)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:16 pm

-Please strike down Slime Farmer, I would be so happy-
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby SlimeCone99 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Noggy05 wrote:-Please strike down Slime Farmer, I would be so happy-
me too that games is just... HORRIFYING
I like Slime Rancher... just that what did you expect

Avatar done by anapntes (thanks for that :D)
SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 am

SlimeCone99 wrote:
Noggy05 wrote:-Please strike down Slime Farmer, I would be so happy-
me too that games is just... HORRIFYING

Yeah! I always hate the fact that companies milk off of successful games and try to pass them off as their own with different titles and vaguely different gameplay.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Return to General Discussion