Multiplayer support?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Multiplayer support?

Postby CaptianFrost » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:57 am

I have a suggestion that I think would be really cool at least. I would love to be able to play slime rancher with my friends. multiplayer support would be cool for this game. you could add it where we can trade items with friends as we do with the trade station with NPCs or make it where we can share a ranch and be able to farm slimes together. anyway, that was just a thought.
CaptianFrost
Plort

Re: Multiplayer support?

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:14 pm

No
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:48 pm

♪♫ And on the Second Day of WiggleMass
♪♫ EmeraldPlay said to me,
♪♫ "No! No no no!
♪♫ "No no! No!"

:-D
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:03 pm

More seriously, this is discussed in the wiki. The main issue is that the "bouncy castle / ball pit" style of this game makes it physics heavy. There is no good way to allow network latency. This would quickly spiral into a lag hell.

Also, one of the main themes of the game is solitude.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:04 pm

akkamaddi wrote:More seriously, this is discussed in the wiki. The main issue is that the "bouncy castle / ball pit" style of this game makes it physics heavy. There is no good way to allow network latency. This would quickly spiral into a lag hell.

Also, one of the main themes of the game is solitude.

Solitude may not be the right word here, but the point is similar. The theme is about self choice, guiding our own lives without having others deter us or push us in directions they want us to go. Stories of being an individual, or in the case of mochi, becoming one. Multiplayer conflicts with this key theme to a distinct degree.

Main reason solitude isn't exactly the right terminology is when you look at Hobson's story. Same theme as the others, but to say his story ends with the theme of "being alone" is to ignore its ending."
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:01 pm

I have to start this with -> SPOILER WARNING! <-

Purplecharmanderz wrote:Main reason solitude isn't exactly the right terminology is when you look at Hobson's story. Same theme as the others, but to say his story ends with the theme of "being alone" is to ignore its ending."

OK, but two gentle pushbacks.

First, Hobson is not the protagonist. Admittedly, I think we would disagree on the degree to which the idea of the theme must encompass all actors. I think you and are are not arguing over whether the elephant is a trunk like a tree or thin like a rope based on what is in front of us, but if the elephant is colored "weathered slate" or "distressed slate". ;-) I'm happy to have the conversation, though. I've gushed elsewhere on the story and I'm happy to discuss it.

Second, something I encountered in my secondary game that struck me. It said that Hobson was with Thora, but suddenly disappeared. That leads to a conspiracy theory type question: Do we have proof Hobson is with Thora? Isn't there something in the game saying that the trip to the Far Far Range is ten years? If that is the case, that leads to a few things. I think it's also said on the trip Beatrix was asleep the whole time. This would mean that when Hobson was closing his ranch, the notes to Beatrix could be as old as ten years. They could even be potentially a little older, though I think 12 or 13 years would be an upper cap.

So, Hobson went to Thora. We get requests from Thora, but we never hear from Hobson. That seems odd, since we procured the ranch from Hobson. One would think he would at least say "hi". Then there is the cryptic message that Hobson was with Thora and then disappeared.

What if Hobson bailed on Thora? Or perhaps something happened to him?

Thora might be alone. :-)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:13 am

We do hear from him after the credits, when he tells you about the vaults. The trip from Earth to the Far, Far Range is supposed to take a year, not ten.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:55 am

Ah... sorry. I've been taking care of someone with the flu and not sleeping much. My bad.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:45 am

akkamaddi wrote:I have to start this with -> SPOILER WARNING! <-

Purplecharmanderz wrote:Main reason solitude isn't exactly the right terminology is when you look at Hobson's story. Same theme as the others, but to say his story ends with the theme of "being alone" is to ignore its ending."

OK, but two gentle pushbacks.

First, Hobson is not the protagonist. Admittedly, I think we would disagree on the degree to which the idea of the theme must encompass all actors. I think you and are are not arguing over whether the elephant is a trunk like a tree or thin like a rope based on what is in front of us, but if the elephant is colored "weathered slate" or "distressed slate". ;-) I'm happy to have the conversation, though. I've gushed elsewhere on the story and I'm happy to discuss it.

Second, something I encountered in my secondary game that struck me. It said that Hobson was with Thora, but suddenly disappeared. That leads to a conspiracy theory type question: Do we have proof Hobson is with Thora? Isn't there something in the game saying that the trip to the Far Far Range is ten years? If that is the case, that leads to a few things. I think it's also said on the trip Beatrix was asleep the whole time. This would mean that when Hobson was closing his ranch, the notes to Beatrix could be as old as ten years. They could even be potentially a little older, though I think 12 or 13 years would be an upper cap.

So, Hobson went to Thora. We get requests from Thora, but we never hear from Hobson. That seems odd, since we procured the ranch from Hobson. One would think he would at least say "hi". Then there is the cryptic message that Hobson was with Thora and then disappeared.

What if Hobson bailed on Thora? Or perhaps something happened to him?

Thora might be alone. :-)

While a fair point, the story is told in bits and pieces and the main story is a combination of beas and Hobson's, the main parts being told as a contrast between the two of them. Also account that the loading screens give hints to some extent on story points, but have been known to avoid spoilers. That same loading screen text was even updated to fit the story better. If no one heard from him for a year, and he lived alone with the only person possibly having a clue where he was was thora, not hard to believe he may have disappeared in the eyes of many.

Also the fact we build friendships with mochi and Ogden (and will be building one with vicktor) seems to conflict the idea of being alone, not even accounting for some key points with Casey.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:44 am

Ugh... *waving white flag*

I was wrong. I got stomped.;-)

Sorry, I'm taking care of someone with the flu, and only sleeping randomly. I'll try to be more constructive in the future. :-)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:28 pm

akkamaddi wrote:Ugh... *waving white flag*

I was wrong. I got stomped.;-)

Sorry, I'm taking care of someone with the flu, and only sleeping randomly. I'll try to be more constructive in the future. :-)

Hey your end point wasn't wrong, no need to get down about it.
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Purplecharmanderz wrote:Hey your end point wasn't wrong, no need to get down about it.

Oh, I'm not. I'm just a bit embarrassed that I made such a bad argument. :-)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.
Even me, the great and modest Noggy05!
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Return to General Discussion