Settings For Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Settings For Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Postby SnowPoff » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 am

While most sounds in slime rancher are there for aesthetics, there are also a few audio cues for nearby slimes and items and there are no accompanying visuals. Slime Rancher also doesn't have a deaf/hard of hearing setting to enable any kind of visual replacement for these audio cues.

It would be nice to see a border or icon added to show when these audio cues are playing to make the game for accessible.
SnowPoff
Rancher

Re: Settings For Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Postby Lionmeow » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Although not being someone who's deaf or hard of hearing, I agree. Like some games, a setting could be turned on, and that would cause it to have a label just saying what sounds are playing. For example, "Slime hops.", "Tarr growls", "Twinkle", etc.
very inactive nowadays
Lionmeow
Keeper

Postby Calydor » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Simple subtitles like that could actually be useful, I agree. It should also be pretty easy to implement.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 am

OK, I tried to post and the page refreshed... :-(

Shorter version, I think this would be an excellent idea. An online game I've played regularly since 2014 has a very loyal vision impaired community.

A simple idea: A Sonar Bar that can pop up along the top or bottom of the screen.

Have a few generic icons for events: "Tarr", "Party Gordo", "Jingling Coins", "Machine Alert" (extractor ready), and there are probably a few that I missed.

When an event occurs, the icon flashes in the direction of the event, and then waves pulse across the bar, fading until they completely vanish near the opposite end. That way, if the player is facing the wrong direction, they still see a wave moving and fading, so they know what direction to turn.

I would recommend not having generic bounces and squees be part of the Sonar Bar, unless they can be disabled. Otherwise, it could be filled with white noise.

I don't think this would be too difficult to implement, given the game already has an engine for stereo sound. Also, it would fit in with the "in game" technology and lore very easily. Just have it off by default, and enabled in the options. It may get in the way of some players, but for a hearing impaired player, it could really change the experience of the game.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby lesbrarians » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:39 am

I'm hearing impaired myself, and I agree! There's no real dialogue in the game, so at least I'm not missing out on that, but I know hunting down the Twinkle slimes was probably more difficult for me than for others, because if there was a song or a twinkle in the distance, I most likely couldn't have heard it. It would be a pretty neat little support to have.
lesbrarians
Plort

Postby keybounce » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Sort of like minecraft -- the name of the sound, and a left/right indicator? Maybe intensity for distance?
keybounce
Plort

Postby SlimeCone99 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 am

I agree! It should definetly have that I don't see why not
I like Slime Rancher... just that what did you expect

Avatar done by anapntes (thanks for that :D)
SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby GravityCat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 am

"Ha ha ha!"
"Wee!"
"Wahoo!"

Gripping gameplay

I'm kidding. Things like Tarr or Ferals would be good to see get a visual cue on the screen.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby SlimeCone99 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 am

GravityCat wrote:"Ha ha ha!"
"Wee!"
"Wahoo!"

Gripping gameplay

I'm kidding. Things like Tarr or Ferals would be good to see get a visual cue on the screen.
And gilded gingers and twinkle slimes and party gordos
I like Slime Rancher... just that what did you expect

Avatar done by anapntes (thanks for that :D)
SlimeCone99
Keeper

Postby Seandkat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 am

Yes, Please!
Seandkat
Plort

Return to General Discussion