Multiplayer CO-OP

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Multiplayer CO-OP

Postby jio9025 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Multiplayer would make this game way more popular . Multiplayer is wanted by everyone , this game would be better if it could be played in 2 players or more . Multiplayer games are the most popular , the single player ones are bad because you get bored of them pretty easy and there aren't any good co-op games on steam . I beg you add multiplayer or make a mod of multiplayer pleaseeee!
jio9025
Plort

Re: Multiplayer CO-OP

Postby GravityCat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:09 pm

This subject has been touched upon many times. The biggest issue with it would be latency.

The game is deceptively hard on computer systems due to the amount of objects and actors floating around, and the ranch especially is known to experience framerate drops due to having a lot of slimes and objects, because of course you would. You're growing food, feeding slimes and producing plorts. You're probably also going to have some slime toys in there somewhere as well. Multiplayer wouldn't be so fun if framerate drops put heavy strain on an internet connection and people experienced dropouts and latency issues.

You also need to consider the fact that to enable multiplayer on a singleplayer game, the game would likely need to be re-worked from the ground up to compensate the connectivity to other systems. You would also need to figure out how it would work. For example, would new players start off with nothing? I'm no expert on the technicals, but from the sounds of it, it's no easy feat.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 pm

No
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Calydor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Stop for a moment and think about what you would DO with multiplayer and whether it would actually improve anything.

Also saying the game is bad unless this exact thing you want is added is not exactly constructive criticism.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby ASimpleFarmer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 am

the single player ones are bad because you get bored of them pretty easy

A game being single player isn't what makes them boring; it's the lack of objectives, quests, adventures, etc. that makes a game boring. Take Minecraft for example. If you can't (or won't) make objectives for yourself, you will get bored quite fast due to not knowing what you should do. Obviously, it's a little hard to compare Slime Rancher and Minecraft, but the point is that neither of these games have clear objectives, nor are they linear in terms of how you reach a goal.

As for games like The Elder Scrolls franchise, they do have clearer objectives, but they are also not always linear. Plus, in order to start most quests, you have to either get lucky or go out of your way to do the quest.

You've also got to remember the play style of Slime Rancher, and how multiplayer would, a lot of the time, make a game that is usually calm, low stress, and how you can just put on a podcast or music and play without focusing too much on one thing. Oh, and it would take a lot of time to rebuild the game to support multiplayer.
I'm just a Farmer! Don't Shoot!
ASimpleFarmer
Plort

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:25 pm

ASimpleFarmer wrote: Oh, and it would take a lot of time to rebuild the game to support multiplayer.

just adding to this, the bloody story would need to be remade as well... like all of them have the same general theme which really contradicts the whole multiplayer concept.
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Phantom268 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 am

Seems like this jio9025 guy just joined the forums just to say that the developers should make a multiplayer Co-op, cause he only has 1 post
I was born in Valentine's day for some reason...♥
(NOT a girl ʸ(ᴖ́◡⚈)♡)
(I guess Saint Valentine gave me that gift :D)

Saint Valentine (the guy who made Valentine's day) wrote:>:(
Phantom268
Rancher

Postby gamer1o7 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 am

just gonna put my opinion real quick. there is nothing wrong with singleplayer games. second even though multiplayer would be good. it would need a ton of quality of life to work properly. and some of the best games ive played are singleplayer. i mean take stardew valley, yes muiltiplayer did come out for it but it stood alone with singleplayer for almost 4 years. being considered a absolute masterpiece.
gamer1o7
Rancher

Postby akkamaddi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Gamer1o7, I always have to upvote Stardew Valley compliments. :-) I also really like your avatar icon. I agree with what you said. I've played very few online games, and there are only two I play regularly, both being browser games.

Phantom268, you will find that a very common pattern around here.

I've posted elsewhere, yes, a multiplayer free-for-all would probably be fun, but that math would be awful. I really think this would only work on a game console, with multiple players on the same console.

I think that there are ways this game could brush up against multi-player and have some collaborative efforts. I know one of the main themes in this game is solitude, so that would be best unlocked as "post game" stuff. But, what I have suggested is a far cry from multiplayer.

But, we gave EmeraldPlay the chance to show up and say "NO". :D Hi Emerald!
akkamaddi
Rancher

Return to General Discussion