My two cents

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

My two cents

Postby caramelchameleon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I've been enjoying Slime Rancher very much! I saw Markiplier playing it and decided immediately that I must own it, dear god, it's adorable and everything I love. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game develops with further updates. There's a solid six hours of playtime on my copy of v0.2.4b, and I have a pretty nice setup covered in chickens and more plorts than I know what to do with.

Here are my thoughts as far as suggestions go -

1. A way to sell all plorts in your tanks at once, rather than one by one. I've seen other people suggest this but I'd like to reiterate it, because dropping 50+ individual plorts into the market bin and listening to the chime each time gets tedious.

2. More options for automating free-range slime ranching, especially collecting the plorts. I'm envisioning a little roomba-like robot that will periodically roam an area of your ranch and collect plorts, then return to its recharge station and deposit them. I'd love to keep more free-range slimes, but I'm too much of a sucker for the automated conveniences of corrals, and it's nearly impossible to only collect plorts when everything else in the free-range area is eagerly presenting itself to my vacuum gun. Similarly, a plort collector upgrade for pond areas would be very helpful, so that I don't have to filter out the plorts from the water or worry about accidentally flinging the poor puddlies out with the suction.

3. On the subject of automation - how many slimes to a corral is the automatic food dispenser calibrated for? I feel as though some of my more sparsely populated corrals are constantly swimming in extra food, but there's no way to slow down the dispenser. An option to manually set the dispenser rate would be nice.

4. If you wanted to capitalize on the adorableness of your slimes even more, it would be super cool to have more ways to interact with them or tell them apart. I've seen the idea of having unique sounds for each type of slime proposed, which would be a great start. Perhaps you could offer a way to name an individual slime, or take photos of it. You could also sell toys for slime enrichment - things like balls for them to play catch with, igloos to hide in, bells to bump up against, etc. Each type of slime might have a preferred type of toy, and a more active slime gets hungry faster, thereby producing more plorts. A really tame and well-fed slime might even play a simple game of fetch, bringing the ball back to you and sticking around till you throw it again.

5. Are there any plans for making the teleporter two-way? I'd love to have faster transit to the farther-away areas for convenience, but that isn't terribly important.

Thank you for creating Slime Rancher, it's delightful and you have my full support!
caramelchameleon
Plort

Re: My two cents

Postby Nunn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:13 pm

I love the roomba collector idea!
Nunn
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:31 pm

Welcome to the forums!

As I say in every suggestion thread: Here are my opinions:

Automation in general can be good or bad. It could enhance a player who is determined for efficiency, but hinder a player who likes to go in and care for their slimes. Although, whether or not they use these tools is up to them.

With slimes being unique or having different AI, you run the risk of hurting lowest setting users. Although, the suggestions you proposed can bring up fun experiences for the player.

Teleporters link into my automation statement. Players can use it if they want to or not, but teleporters run the risk of the player missing a "shiny thing" on their trip.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby ninjayoshiguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

I enjoy all these ideas. Sweet!
ninjayoshiguy
Plort

Postby caramelchameleon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Wonda wrote:Welcome to the forums!

As I say in every suggestion thread: Here are my opinions:

Automation in general can be good or bad. It could enhance a player who is determined for efficiency, but hinder a player who likes to go in and care for their slimes. Although, whether or not they use these tools is up to them.

With slimes being unique or having different AI, you run the risk of hurting lowest setting users. Although, the suggestions you proposed can bring up fun experiences for the player.

Teleporters link into my automation statement. Players can use it if they want to or not, but teleporters run the risk of the player missing a "shiny thing" on their trip.

Thank you!

You bring up a good point with unique/complex AIs taking up more processing power, that was something I hadn't considered.

Regarding automation - even with automatic feeders and plort collectors, etc. I'm the kind of person who can very easily spend all in-game day on my ranch, obsessively running back and forth to fill the feeders and empty the collectors, without ever heading out to explore. I'm still playing and I'm enjoying myself, obviously, so this isn't a critique, but if I were given the option to automate more of that routine so that I could spend more time out in the world I'd take it.

I might miss a shiny thing by teleporting from the ranch straight to the deep jungle, but if it takes me several in-game hours trekking through familiar paths to get to newer and less well explored areas, I'd rather stay home entirely, and then ALL the shiny things will be missed.

This is solely my own opinions, of course! I don't want to dictate anything to Monomi Park.
caramelchameleon
Plort

Return to General Discussion