After a few hours - Some Feedback

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

After a few hours - Some Feedback

Postby crazyman185 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:28 am

Found about this game thanks to watching Jim Sterling's positive impressions on YouTube. First time supporting a early access game for me and so far its been quite a positive experience. :3

I understand its alpha gameplay so there is still a lot to add so I won't bother asking for more slimes or areas or a need for an end game as I know its coming. Also reading your road map mentions adding more challenging gameplay which is great to hear.

I want to talk about some big suggestions rather than small nicpicks.

#1. The Slimes are ultra cute and was a big selling point for me. Tabby, Phosphor, and Honey slimes are my favorites <3 . What I would like to see though is more in-depth behavior from the slimes. Tabby is great example of ya'll doing this already. They are mischievous, playing with things they can't eat and trying to escape, and trying to headbutt you. Some possible examples: Puddles squirting water, Rocks ground pounding, or honey slimes licking themselves cause they are so delicious (and tabbys too!). And interactions between same or different slimes would be neat as well. Tabbys playing with Phosphors cause they are bright, Rocks dueling each other via charging, everything wanting to lick Honeys and the Honeys being scared and rolling away, everything being afraid of Booms, everything being in awe of gold slimes, etc. Since this is immersion rather than gameplay I understand this being lower on the priority list of possibilities to consider.

#2. Caged vs. Open range being a thing. I like using the main ranch for caged slimes, and the expansions for free range slimes. Phosphors in the Grotto and Tabbys in Overgrowth. Perhaps make this a mechanic of choice in how to raise your slimes. Caged being easy to feed slimes and collect ports (via upgrades), safer for the farmer (from rocks and booms, eventually rads) but lacking room for the slimes which means less happiness. Open range however would provide happier slimes but less efficient feeding and collecting of ports plus less safe from hostile slimes. One thing to consider open range plot collecting less tedious (especially if the open range are largos) is a vacpac upgrade that only allows plort collection (or even veggie, fruit, chicken as well). Even with this upgrade it would still be less efficient than caged. The music upgrade in caged could make slimes happier but not as happy as a free range. The idea would be to tie happiness into plort production like favorite food is now.

With happiness in mind, perhaps it could be changed to:

Feeding regular food to caged slime = 1
Feeding regular food to open range slime = 1 with 50% chance for 2
Feeding regular to caged slime with music = 1 with 50% chance for 2
Feeding fav food to cage slime = 1 with 50% chance for 2
Feeding fav food to caged slime with music = 2
Feeding fav food to open range = 3

Another thing to consider is that behavior/interactions I spoke of earlier would happen mostly with open range slimes but not in caged. I think this would be beneficial CPU wise, as it might be a bit taxing if a bunch slimes in a closed space are all trying to interact/do special behaviors.

#3 A buddy slime. Perhaps we could domesticate a slime to do certain tasks. Each having different uses (tho I understand not all slimes being able to be buddies). A tabby would just be a cute companion that played around, a boom or rocky could fight Hostile/Tarr, a honey could be health pac (tho on Cooldown so you don't eat them!) It could also be another money dump (increase their functions, jump height (so they can follow you once u have the jetpack), health, perhaps a holding pen when u do not require their services).

I have a few more big ideas but I wanna play some more before I discuss them in length.

Anyways, thanks for reading!
crazyman185
Chickadoo

Re: After a few hours - Some Feedback

Postby crazyman185 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:45 pm

One time bump.
crazyman185
Chickadoo

Please don't bump threads, unless you need to.

Postby Wonda » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Hey, welcome to the forums!

I like all of the points you presented here.

However, with point 1, more in-depth AI may harm computers that can only run Lowest. Also for point 3, buddy slimes might have to have some way of being distinguished from others. Otherwise, your ideas seem nice.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Re: Please don't bump threads, unless you need to.

Postby Gaster » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Wonda wrote:However, with point 1, more in-depth AI may harm computers that can only run Lowest.

You could use an option to regulate the "Interaction depth", similar to a difficulty selector. The difficulty also tells NPCs how to act/react to certain events (player near, far away, sees something, etc.) so it could be used in a scenario like this just by checking this variable.

I for myself would be annoyed if I couldn't see the full depth of interaction between the slimes and the environments and so on, but without better hardware in my PC that would be the best deal I could get and other players could enjoy the whole experience of cuddly, slimy cuteness (just to mention, I have a good PC, just to be clear) :D
Gaster
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion