My Ultimate Ranch Layout

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

My Ultimate Ranch Layout

Postby BraveStarr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Every since I started playing this game I have spent a lot of time testing concepts and ideas on how to best set up my ranch for maximum plort creating, selling and newbucks making. I also wanted it to be easily accessible from one area to another for maximum speed.

This is the current result of my experimenting. My goal was to utilize every catchable slime in the game, every plot and gadget spot necessary in my ranch to accomplish it. Sadly, in my opinion, some of the gadget spots are either not convenient or not enough in some areas (the main area mainly) but I did what I could with what I had so the end result is not what I would call perfect but close enough.

I put teleporters in every expansion except for Monchi's Manor and Ogden's Retreat because their teleporters were convenient enough not to have to waste gadget spots. This way I can move around my ranch faster plus I put one on opposite ends of the ranch (The Docks and The Grotto) in case I needed to get from one side to the other faster. I have my reasons why it works. This allows me to setup all my drones to drop plorts into the market (links) while wasting little time between activations as soon as it hits midnight. Actually 30 game minutes before, enough time for the drones to grab plorts from the silos before the market changes and drop them just after.

I also placed teleporters towards the middle of each Wilderness area allowing me to spend less time reaching the back sides. Every teleporter (except the one that connects The Docks and The Grotto) has a Warp Depot near them in case I have an extra item I can't carry. It happens a lot more often than you can imagine, specially in the Glass Desert thanks to the Gilded Ginger. I wasn't able to set up every Warp Depot next to each other at the ranch but they are all in the main area and convenient enough to be useful.

My drone locations are set up so as to be able to get to them fast when entering the areas from any entrance. I'm also able to water most of them with a single shot of water in each area except for the ones in The Grotto (Not a big deal there).

My Market and Refinery Links are next to the silos in every area for easy access and now that the Drones can drop plorts into the Refinery Links it's even better.

As for my slimes I set them up as follows:

1) Each largo was created specifically to avoid having to maintain chickens. This made it easier to feed them and save money on Chicken Coops.

2) The Largos were placed together in each area based on what they ate. Veggie eaters with veggie eaters and fruit eaters with fruit eaters. This made it easier to program the drones to a single type of food and not have to manually feed them or have to reprogram the drones to feed different corrals. The only exception are the Fire slimes in the Overgrowth area. The feeding drone has to be reprogrammed from time to time because there are no gardens there in order to have 3 incinerators. Because this area has carrots and pogofruits that grow naturally plus the chickens I simply reprogram the drone to pick different ones up to feed the incinerators from time to time. Even then I am forced to collect the extra fruits and veggies from other areas from time to time and store them in the silo in this area to help the drones maintain the incinerators. It's the only thing I can't fix but its not entirely bad considering everything else works just fine.

3) I placed the Quantum/Crystal largos in The Grotto because the cave keeps them from running loose all over the range. I keeps them in a confined area.

4) The Dervish/Hunters are also in The Grotto because of the tornadoes. The cave keeps the mess they make to a minimum, confined. They are also on the opposite end of the cave to avoid the tornadoes dropping plorts in the Quantum/Crystal corral to avoid Tarrs. It's not always perfect, if the Quatum/Crystals get out at the same time the tornadoes are making a mess then Tarrs will likely happen but like I said rarely. But I have a Super Hydro Turret in the Grotto just in case.

5) The Tangled/Mosaic largos are in the main area far away from the other 2 corrals because of the Tangled tentacles that can reach things outside the corrals. This is just in case a plort from the other corrals somehow got out and the Tangled/Mosaic managed to grab it and turn into a Tarr. The Rock/Pink largos have been known to roll hard enough to knock one out of the corral from time to time. No need for Hydro Turrets here.

6) The Boom/Honey plorts are necessary for gadget building so its convenient to put them in The Lab area.

7) The Pubble in The Docks make sense, specially thanks to the extra free range pond there. Since they don't need to be fed I can use one drone to collect plorts from the ponds and the other from the free range pond.

8) And to get the most expensive plorts I used Monchi's Manor and Ogden's Retreat to keep more Tangled/Mosaic largos to maximize newbucks acquiring.

Oh, and I put a Gold Gordo at the entrence just because it looks cool there. Let me know what you think about my setup. And if you have any questions please ask. If you have suggestions they are welcome as well. I am always looking for ways to improve my setup.
Attachments
Range Layout 2.jpg
Range Layout 2.jpg (212.08 KiB) Viewed 8992 times
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Re: My Ultimate Ranch Layout

Postby GravityCat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:55 pm

My PS4 Edition Ranch layout was put together with Drones in mind, and like you with the express purpose of using no chickens. Even before the game's official release I've always avoided using chickens as a main food source.

Each expansion has a dedicated slime type accompanied by their favourite food.
*Mosaic Crystals in the main ranch area; my main moneymakers and favourite slimes.
*Quantums are in the Grotto kept in the lower half of the expansion, while Phase Lemon trees are on the elevated bit because slimes get stumped by complex terrain.
*Phosphor Largos are in Mochi's Manor and all are feline largos because fireflies, cats, and square fruit I feel are strongly associated with the Japanese.
*Pink Rads and Rocks are in The Lab because all 3 of their plorts are used in the lower-tier Drills, and produce a lot of Pink Plorts
*The Docks dedicated to Puddle Slimes, because why not.
*The overgrowth dedicated to Honey Largos, again because why not. The Honey Dervishes are in the plot that's boxed in to minimise the chaos they cause with their tornadoes.
*120 Fire Slimes at Ogden's Retreat for no reason.

And don't mind the 5 coops I have scattered across my layout; I'm a bit of a hoarder and the Silo in Ogden's Retreat is for the sake of having 900 of each chicken, for no reason.

As for teleports I keep them relatively simple: On the main ranch area I have a Gold Teleport going to the Dervish Fountain in the Glass Desert if I need quick a water top up. I have a Violet Teleporter going to the Lab, and a Pink Teleporter going to the Hobson End Temple in the Glass Desert which I use as a teleport hub. There, I have teleporters going to the entrance to the Glass Desert teleport room in the Ancient Ruins, the Rock Gordo cave in the Indigo Quarry, the flower field area in Moss Blanket, and Moustache Island.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:30 pm

GravityCat wrote:My PS4 Edition Ranch layout was put together with Drones in mind, and like you with the express purpose of using no chickens. Even before the game's official release I've always avoided using chickens as a main food source.

Each expansion has a dedicated slime type accompanied by their favourite food.
*Mosaic Crystals in the main ranch area; my main moneymakers and favourite slimes.
*Quantums are in the Grotto kept in the lower half of the expansion, while Phase Lemon trees are on the elevated bit because slimes get stumped by complex terrain.
*Phosphor Largos are in Mochi's Manor and all are feline largos because fireflies, cats, and square fruit I feel are strongly associated with the Japanese.
*Pink Rads and Rocks are in The Lab because all 3 of their plorts are used in the lower-tier Drills, and produce a lot of Pink Plorts
*The Docks dedicated to Puddle Slimes, because why not.
*The overgrowth dedicated to Honey Largos, again because why not. The Honey Dervishes are in the plot that's boxed in to minimise the chaos they cause with their tornadoes.
*120 Fire Slimes at Ogden's Retreat for no reason.

And don't mind the 5 coops I have scattered across my layout; I'm a bit of a hoarder and the Silo in Ogden's Retreat is for the sake of having 900 of each chicken, for no reason.

As for teleports I keep them relatively simple: On the main ranch area I have a Gold Teleport going to the Dervish Fountain in the Glass Desert if I need quick a water top up. I have a Violet Teleporter going to the Lab, and a Pink Teleporter going to the Hobson End Temple in the Glass Desert which I use as a teleport hub. There, I have teleporters going to the entrance to the Glass Desert teleport room in the Ancient Ruins, the Rock Gordo cave in the Indigo Quarry, the flower field area in Moss Blanket, and Moustache Island.

Interesting. I never considered the idea of complex terrains being a problem for slimes. I'll keep that in mind. I like how you took into account the Japanese association when putting the phosphor, tabby, hunter and saber slimes together. I do have 2 curious questions though:

1) How in the world do you have 120 fire slime?

2) How do you keep them and feed them?

Would actually love to see video footage of this. Would be awesome to see. My Fire slime tend to die whenever they get out of the incinerators and I have never tried to keep more than 6 in each incinerator. Guess I haven't tried to add more than that. I have about 10 largos in each corral. Enough to maintain it looking organize. I hate seeing them on top of each other. Makes me feel like I am abusing them. Also the number of plorts they put out thanks to feeding them their fav food is enough to make huge amounts of newbucks in 24 hours. In fact I am unable to drop all of them when I have the Grotto, Lab and 2 main area silos full within those 24 hours before the market resets.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby Calydor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:56 am

Can someone drop the link to the map making tool, please?
Calydor
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 am

Calydor wrote:Can someone drop the link to the map making tool, please?

https://baatochan.github.io/SlimeRancherPlanner/

I used this page but decided to create my own since this site doesn't give you the ability to add more details on your ranch such as drones and teleporters.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby GravityCat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 am

BraveStarr wrote:1) How in the world do you have 120 fire slime?

2) How do you keep them and feed them?

I do a lot of Gilded Ginger hunting, so I'm in the desert a lot. You can easily get about 8 Fire Slimes per firestorm if you keep a sharp eye out; plus a couple more in a specific part of the desert. They don't die when the Trough's empty or do anything when agitated so I only feed them if everywhere else has surplus food, and there often is in abundance. They're a good moneymaker when everywhere else is chock-full and I can produce well over 100 fire plorts in one go. My Drones take care of their plorts for me.

I decided to stop collecting them whenever a Firestorm occurs because 120 is enough for me now, I feel. I had to stop sometime.

Would actually love to see video footage of this. Would be awesome to see.

I've uploaded a clip of the feeding process onto YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nunSbJ8jb3c

My Fire slime tend to die whenever they get out of the incinerators and I have never tried to keep more than 6 in each incinerator.

I've never had major issues with them getting out, though prior to 1.3.1 when the Troughs would forget they were empty and suddenly fill up on a reload they would on rare occasions fly skyward, but their plorts did this more often than the slimes themselves did. I guess just having so many prevents any collision issues they have with a full Ash Trough, so they're less likely to get out. Even when I do manage to fill it up, it's all gone the next time they feed lol
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Calydor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:35 am

Here's mine, all nice and tidy. Drones are handling everything now with the Optimization Update.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 am

GravityCat wrote:
BraveStarr wrote:Would actually love to see video footage of this. Would be awesome to see.

I've uploaded a clip of the feeding process onto YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nunSbJ8jb3c

That is amazing. I am definitely trying this out.

Calydor wrote:Image

Here's mine, all nice and tidy. Drones are handling everything now with the Optimization Update.

Very nice. Not a lot of silos. Do you sell plorts immediately? Just curious.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby TheLevens » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Here’s my ranch design. If you have time to look through it. I haven’t had to change much since drones came in the picture.

http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8875

I personally like the overgrowth as a natural place to farm chickens even if I don’t really use them in this build.
Xbox1: The Levens
Watch me on Mixer if I’m on.
Day 300+
Z:28
+2,300,000U in the Bank
TheLevens
Rancher

Postby Calydor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:24 am

All plorts are taken straight from the collector to the market, yes. At this point I'm maxed out in the club and have 500k Newbucks in my wallet, so I really don't care about optimizing my earnings.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:21 pm

TheLevens wrote:Here’s my ranch design. If you have time to look through it. I haven’t had to change much since drones came in the picture.

http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8875

I personally like the overgrowth as a natural place to farm chickens even if I don’t really use them in this build.

That's nice. Lots of similarities between our ranches. The drones are probably the coolest thing in the game.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby BraveStarr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Calydor wrote:All plorts are taken straight from the collector to the market, yes. At this point I'm maxed out in the club and have 500k Newbucks in my wallet, so I really don't care about optimizing my earnings.

I have to admit before I shared my post I didn't take into account the concept of making newbucks. I reached the point where I have little reason to spend newbucks thus trying to maximize plorts for the sake of newbucks seems more like just trying to outdo my last plort market sale which doesn't really achieve anything amazing whenever I do it.

I guess my next step is to get rid of most of the silos and replace them with more slime corrals and just send plorts to both the market and now the refinery thanks to the recent drone update. See how that works. Would be cool if the game had updates that gave us reasons to spend those newbucks. New decorations, maybe a special kind of decoration that didn't depend on gadget spots to decorate that can be bought with newbucks.
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Postby Calydor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Just realized that with the addition of the refinery trip for the drones I can actually start filling up my refinery. I should get on that.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby TheLevens » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:15 am

Calydor wrote:All plorts are taken straight from the collector to the market, yes. At this point I'm maxed out in the club and have 500k Newbucks in my wallet, so I really don't care about optimizing my earnings.

I feel you, I have over 2.5 mil newbucks and most of my refinery is maxed out.

There’s really no end game to spend those newbucks. I’ve started a task to try and place something on every gadget spot in the world. After that, I really don’t have anything to complete.

Yeah, I could practice doing the 5 day rush mode and maybe do something in casual mode, but in the end, adventure mode is all that really matters to me.
Xbox1: The Levens
Watch me on Mixer if I’m on.
Day 300+
Z:28
+2,300,000U in the Bank
TheLevens
Rancher

Postby Calydor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 am

Yeah, at this point Slime Rancher is honestly just a game I load up when I want 20-30 minutes of vibrant colors and funny sound effects, walking around my ranch watering my drones.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby orempswenel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 pm

that is cool.
orempswenel
Rancher

Return to General Discussion