how do you like to decorate + run your ranch?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

how do you like to decorate + run your ranch?

Postby charcolor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:29 pm

there's a lot of ways to decorate + run the ranch, mostly thanks to slime science. i think it's cool that everybody can make their ranches unique!!
here's some things i've done with my place:
  • threw a bunch of echoes in the grotto! it's where my quantum phosphors flutter around, so i think they fit well. i also noticed if you shoot two different colored echoes in the same spot, the colors will blend! so i have makeshift purple and teal echoes as well as the usual 4 colors and i think it's neat
  • i have a rad slime lamp in the main area, against the upper level where the house is. idk how to explain its position....but it sure is cute!
  • i have a gold gordo sitting in front of the house as well, in case i need emergency gold plorts. it has a bowtie!
  • behind the house i put some plants from the wilds...i forget exactly what they are but i know one is a tree and the other is a patch of some sort
  • in the overgrowth i have saber largos running wild! there's more than one type, so i have a drone pick up the plorts and put them in a silo to prevent tarr outbreaks (and hydro turrets if they do happen)
  • my tangle dervish largos are isolated in the docks because i don't think they would behave otherwise
  • i have a bunch of teleporters close to the house! they respectively lead to the moss blanket, the glass desert, the docks and the science lab (because those paths are long and i'm lazy)
  • i've also used ogden's retreat and mochi's manor as sanctuaries for my favorite slimes, honey and hunter (respectively)! the honeys have mint mango trees planted all over the place while the hunters have diverse coops with all different chickens and, of course, roostros
there's more but i feel like explaining it all in one post would be annoying...i'm curious to know what other people have done with their ranches!
charcolor
Chickadoo

Re: how do you like to decorate + run your ranch?

Postby Freeasabird » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Pure efficiency, 4 mixed Largo's per pen. i raise my Chicks, Chickens and Roosters in the Hunter/Tabby Pen, the auto feeder for this pen would be useless since they can eat whenever they please. Mix appropriate Slimes together, Rock/Crystal, Tabby/Hunter, Rad/Boomer, phosphor/Honey etc. Not to fond of Decoration,Waste of time and potential profit, besides the ranch upgrades anyways those are acceptable. i have my phosphor/Honey slimes exclusively in the cave, witch makes there corral upgrade useless. all the plots in the cave are used for the two slimes favorite foods plus one silo.

Yeah its a pain in the ass to clean up but you get a TON of plorts for it so its not to bad. two gardens next to my house, to grow food for my Rock/crystal and rad/Boomer largos, and one pond with 4 or 5 puddle slimes. i don't bother ranching pinks because there bloody EVERYWHERE. And those ..Phase (yellow) slimes er whatever they're called i don't bother with those either, if anything i'll just free range those, less hassle. and it gives me a reason to actually leave my ranch besides gathering up more chickens for my Hungry Tabby/Hunters. and once i unlock the Drone i'll install it in the cave and finally achieve 100% efficiency in that area. hm, don't know much else to do other than buying everything available after that.
Boom slimes, Rocks Slimes, No Pain No gain.
Freeasabird
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Two Drones per expansion, as well as a Market Link and a Refinery Link placed somewhere in the same expansion. Lab doesn't get a Refinery Link because it has the Refinery, so that'd be redundant. Generally one Drone is set to place food into Autofeeders, the other to sell plorts.

**In the Docks both Drones sell plorts, one from Ponds and the other from Outside Plot.
**In Ogden's Retreat one sells Fire Plorts from Incinerators and the other stores chickens because I'm collecting chickens for no reason, which is why I have two coops in the main ranch area as well.
**The decorative pond in Mochi's Manor is left unattended so I don't get Puddle Plorts from it and I don't have the patience to vac up their plorts myself since they have Fashion Pods equipped.
**All autofeeders are set to maximum speed. It's the only way to I can keep slimes consistently happy.
**All standard corralled slimes have two favoured toys even though they only need one. All Puddle Slime groups have a Rubber Duck each to increase their shyness cap to 5. Fire Slimes do not have a Charcoal Brick.

btw the Heroic Fashion Pod is the best thing ever
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Burningskull » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 am

So... I don't know where or how to do the cool ranch layout thing the person above used but...

Main Ranch: I have Pink/Rocks, Honey/Tabbys, Boom/Rads, Heartbeats, Oca Oca, Mint Mango, One Silo and an Incinerator. The food is planted right next to the slimes that favorite them. The Main Ranch is decorated in corral reef stuff with the exception of a few Peach Trees. I also have 2 drones set up to constantly feed my slimes.

Cave: I have Phosphor/Crystal, Hunter/Quantum, Cubeberries, Phase Lemons and a Pond. One drone feeding since both eat fruit. It decorated in Quarry decorum but mostly Fire Flower patches cause decorations you can't runt through tend to make getting plorts annoying. 4 Puddle slimes in the pond of course.

Overgrowth: Crystal/Sabers, Tangle/Mosaic, Silver Parsnips, and Odd Onions. One drone feeding. Decorated like the Moss Blanket.

The Lab: Pink/Rads, Honey/Sabers, Oca Oca, Mint Mangos and an Incinerator. Two drones feeding. This places acts as my teleporter hub, Tho it does have a few Ancient trees. (I couldn't really find anything else that looked like it belonged there)

The Docks: Here I have just my Dervish/Mosaics. Probably my favorite slime combo. Prickly Pears and two ponds with puddle slimes. One drone feeding. I mostly have palm trees here to kinda make it look like a beach.

Ogden's: Saber/Mosaic, Boom/Dervish, Silver Parsnips, Prickly Pears, two ponds. Decorated mostly in Peach Trees. Two Drones feeding

Mochi's: Crystal/Mosaic, Devish/Quantum, Silver Parsnips, Prickly Pears (or Phase Lemons I don't remember) and one chicken coop I'm not using that I'm probably going to turn into a pond. Decorated mostly in the Nimble Valley stuff and Peach trees. Two Drones feeding.

I also have one Market Link and one Refinery Link in each area. I don't use chickens cause they just don't breed as fast as the gardens produce.
Burningskull
Chickadoo

Postby GravityCat » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 am

Burningskull wrote:So... I don't know where or how to do the cool ranch layout thing the person above used but...

https://baatochan.github.io/SlimeRancherPlanner/
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Burningskull » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:20 am

GravityCat wrote:
Burningskull wrote:So... I don't know where or how to do the cool ranch layout thing the person above used but...

Thanks :) But how do you put it in the post? Having trouble figuring that out ><
Burningskull
Chickadoo

Postby GravityCat » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 am

I take a screenshot and upload the image to my private server on Discord, and paste the image link.

The site has a neat feature where you can export your layout into a .txt file so you can import it again later to make changes. It makes new files each time you export though.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Burningskull » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 pm

GravityCat wrote:I take a screenshot and upload the image to my private server on Discord, and paste the image link.

The site has a neat feature where you can export your layout into a .txt file so you can import it again later to make changes. It makes new files each time you export though.

Ah thanks.
Burningskull
Chickadoo

Postby charcolor » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:25 am

GravityCat wrote:

oh thanks for linking that!! i've used it before but i totally forgot what the website was...might as well make an updated version

• the silo in the overgrowth is for the drones to deposit all the stray plorts into
  • there's an empty corral there as well for when i make new saber largos (or in case i need to confine the slimes for a little while)
  • i have some quantum phosphors in the corral and some out.
  • i have a bunch of honey slimes living free in ogden's retreat, i'm just clarifying because i accidentally got it covered in mint mango garden icons
charcolor
Chickadoo

Postby orempswenel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:12 am

IM BACK BOIS.
orempswenel
Rancher

Postby BraveStarr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Let me start by saying sorry for the long reply, I just like details but I still tried to keep it short believe it or not.

These are some very interesting setups for the ranch on this post. I spent some time understanding the game, how slimes worked, their behavior and such, the plots and gadget sites in every section of the ranch including Mochi's and Ogden's extensions and how each section worked best for specific slime.

My goal was to use every slime in the game in the best possible set up to maximize plort collecting to be able to get any gadget I needed and collect as many plorts as I could to sell at the best time (around every 20 days according to the Wiki page) to the market to collect as many newbucks in the least amount of time possible before the prices changed at midnight in order to get every upgrade available. I've basically turned the whole thing into an experiment to see what's the best setup I can make using every slime, gadget and plot necessary to make it work for me.

Here's what I have created so far. Bare in mind the Mochi's and Ogden's extensions were recently unlocked and since I have been focusing on creating a video series for my Youtube channel for this game I haven't had chance to setup these 2 extensions to complete my own best setup.

I am using largos on all but the Mochi's and Ogden's extensions with the favorite food of one of the 2 slimes to get double plorts. My combination of slimes into largos was based on combining a fruit or veggie eating slime with a meat eating slime that way I didn't have to maintain chickens since I could feed them a fruit or veggie to get the dual double plorts (2 different plorts doubled thanks to the fav food of one of them). Then I made sure to place the largos based on the food, fruits eating slimes together and veggie eating slimes together. That way I can set up 2 drones, one that collect plorts from the collectors and store them into silos until its time to sell them to the market and the other to feed the largos from the gardens. Having the slimes that eat only fruits or veggies in the same area makes it easy for the drone to feed each coral the right food without having to change the programming from fruit to veggie or meat. It's just easier.

I put the Quantum/Crystal largos in the cave to keep them from going too far and leaving crystal spikes everywhere. I also put the Dervish/Hunter largos in the cave to keep the tornadoes from throwing everything too far and keeping the mess smaller. I kept them in opposite corners to keep the tornadoes from reaching the other coral and the 2 gardens and making a bigger mess or potentially creating Tarrs. Both largos eat fruit so I need only one drone to feed both and one to collect plorts to store in a silo in the cave.

I put the Tangled/Mosaic largos in the main area in the farthest corner to keep them from reaching any plorts with their vines that sometimes get out of the corals when a slime like the Rock slime rolls and crashes into the walls and to keep the glints far to avoid getting hurt. I also put the Pink/Rock and Rad/Saber slimes in the main area since all the largos eat veggies and so I have one garden for each with a fav veggie for double plorts. Like in the cave I also have one drone to feed all 3 and one to collect plorts to store in a silo. I have 2 silos due to having more corals plus I can also store other things for easy access.

In the Lab area I put the Honey/Boom and Phosphor/Tabby slime since they both eat fruits plus their plorts are used a lot to create gadgets and the refinery and fabricator are right there. Pink is the most commonly used so I have a refinery link in the main area and send almost every pink plort there until its full.

I use the Overgrowth expansion for the incinerators with Fire slimes. Since I am not raising chickens for slimes this area produces chickens automatically and whenever I travel around the map I catch and bring more to continue to breed with roostros so more are created. I can use these chickens, the pogofruits and carrots that grow in the wild to burn in the incinerators and feed the Fire slimes to get plorts. I have one drone collecting the plorts and one that can either feed the incinerator directly or store the fruit, veggies and chickens in a silo for me to manually throw into the incinerator. Its the only area where I have to change a drones programming to pick up different things to put in the incinerator or silo but I only do it sometimes.

And then I am using the Docks for the Puddle slime taking advantage of the waterfall pond for more slime. Since there is no need for fruit, veggies or meat to feed the slime I have no gardens or coops, one drone collects plorts from the ponds and one from the waterfall pond and store them in a silo. I also use this to get water to run the drones.

Every area has 2 drones, one market link next to the silo (even the main area, its faster for the drones) and one refinery link (except for the lab area because it would be redundant, its not used all the time and drones currently can't use it anyways).

I placed all the teleporters around the main and lab area (only areas with enough extra gadget sites to fit all the teleporters and warp depots) with a warp depot next to each (of the same color obviously) and placed 2 teleporters in each Wilderness area at opposite ends to easily get to any side of any area faster and have a warp depot next to each teleporter in case I have an extra item I want to take that can't because I have all 4 vac slots full. The extra teleporter and warp depot I use to get to the Docks from the main area mostly to get to the water faster and it's the easiest way to start my route to fill every drone and check every area in case some of the slime manage to get loose or messy.

I am still experimenting to make sure the areas are set up as best as possible for maximum management and plort collecting. I'll be working in the Mochi's and Ogden's extensions next. Once I have it just the way I want it I'll be making my video series to upload one or two videos a week. I already created a list of specific things in the game I wanna share. The game itself is time consuming so won't be sharing every minute of gameplay, that would be boring and too long.

I wanted to use all the slime available as it seemed more fun plus it was necessary for the refinery and fabricator. But my next experiment will use slime that make the highest valued plorts to see how many newbucks I can make in a one day vs my current setup.
Attachments
Slime Rancher Planner.jpg
Slime Rancher Planner.jpg (237.25 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
BraveStarr
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion