Some small thoughts and criticisms on the game so far

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Some small thoughts and criticisms on the game so far

Postby Sayie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:43 am

I know it's early, but there are just a few small problems (not glitches, as i've not found any).

Edit: Added an idea I had while I was playing some more.

Jetpack is broken/overpowered. You can fly over ANYTHING in the game and completely avoid the Slime Key along with the upgrades for the ranch. You can simply fly over the Slime Gate with a basic jetpack from the bridge. You can also climb onto the house and fly over the gate with an upgraded jetpack. You can simply just raise these or put invisible walls that will stop you, or stop the jetpack from rising to a certain point across the world and raise the walls to that point.

Way of knowing that you should feed the Largo slimes. This one is very very minor, but would have been helpful for me personally while playing the game. I was trying to find the Slime Key (even though I can simply fly over it). I had fed the Largo slime like 5 times but there was absolutely no way of knowing that I had to feed him more. It can be as subtle as a sound of the Largo slime being happy or some noise, or maybe even a more noticeable growth.

More customization for the corrals for specific slimes. This is probably a bigger one that has been suggested before but water slimes, as far as I an tell, can't be properly kept in cages and the water tank thing has no customization at all. The other slimes seem fine, but properly a better way to control the explosive slimes or even more stuff to upgrade the corrals. Stronger walls, stronger ceiling, etc.

Just an idea for later slimes. Perhaps you can have upgrades slimes that are stronger or can even break the walls of the corrals, forcing you to upgrade them like above. Like a large explosive slime (somehow get a large slime similar to combination of 2 different slimes, except of the same type) will break through the walls of its pen, become free, and start blowing up the other slimes' cages.

Ablility to remove upgrades from a corral. This would work well with the ability to customize specific slime pens, and possibly have it so that some slimes might not like music and will produce less money for you because of it. Maybe have a sprinkler system (for puddle slimes), but explosive and rock slimes are not happy with it. This might add some extra depth, and I hope that it might not be too much for the game.

Stuff should cost more later on. At the current version of the game (v0.2.4b) it is very very easy to get a really good slime (because of the jetpack abuse mentioned above) and just get that stuff really easy. I'm not a game designed, so I don't know how you could handle it, but at least for me once I started upgrade my suckyshootygun (vacpack) I had really good slimes and an excessive amount of money.

-NEW- Truely crossbreed slimes. This is somewhat that I kind of expected to be in the game when I first played it, until I realize that the slimes just merge together into a Combo Slime. A True Crossbred slime could be something like the opposite of a Tarr slime. For example, mix together a Tabby and Honey slime to geta Tabby/Honey Combo. Then you can throw in a Glowyslime plort and instead of a Tarr you can get (either by percent chance like 30% or guaranteed) a special Star slime. This is just an example obviously, and would be really interesting, especially when we get more slimes to experiment with.

Thanks for reading this huge &#% wall of text, I really like the game and can see a lot of potential for this. It's cute, casual, and just really kind of..tranquil to play.
Last edited by Sayie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signiture
Sayie
Plort

Re: Some small thoughts and criticisms on the game so far

Postby 43Darknero » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 am

Jetpack is broken/overpowered. You can fly over ANYTHING in the game and completely avoid the Slime Key along with the upgrades for the ranch. You can simply fly over the Slime Gate with a basic jetpack from the bridge. You can also climb onto the house and fly over the gate with an upgraded jetpack. You can simply just raise these or put invisible walls that will stop you, or stop the jetpack from rising to a certain point across the world and raise the walls to that point.

honestly invisible walls around the gates would make the most sense
Tabby slimes are too cute I made dis http://fav.me/d9pfb3b
Thought of a slime called Angelic. Check it out!
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=883
Avatar by http://forums.monomipark.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16677
43Darknero
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:14 am

But nobody likes invisible walls.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Sutremaine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Make the gate the invisible wall. When the player bumps up against it by trying to bypass the ground access, it flashes up the colour of the gate so the player knows why they're being stopped.

Also, extend the gate around the edges of the ranch clifftops. _Somebody's_ going to try and bypass it by flying out over the slime sea and then back again.
Sutremaine
Chickadoo

Postby Nummles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Welcome to the community Sayie.
Thanks for your suggestions! C:
Nummles
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Sutremaine wrote:Also, extend the gate around the edges of the ranch clifftops. _Somebody's_ going to try and bypass it by flying out over the slime sea and then back again.

That's a bad thing?
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Welcome to our community Sayie!
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions with us.
Heather
Admin

Postby Sutremaine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:18 pm

SpiralRancher wrote:That's a bad thing?

It is if they've got a full inventory. It's a clever idea to try and go around the barrier via the air (heck, give an achievement for it), and it shouldn't be punished by losing stuff.
Sutremaine
Chickadoo

Postby Hugger » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Sayie wrote:
Way of knowing that you should feed the Largo slimes. This one is very very minor, but would have been helpful for me personally while playing the game. I was trying to find the Slime Key (even though I can simply fly over it). I had fed the Largo slime like 5 times but there was absolutely no way of knowing that I had to feed him more. It can be as subtle as a sound of the Largo slime being happy or some noise, or maybe even a more noticeable growth.

They grow in size as you feed them. Also, if you give the Tabby largo a stony hen it makes a heart.

I think the Devs wanted this to be a puzzle of sorts.
Profile Pic by Mellorine

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471
Hugger
Rancher

Postby Sayie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Hugger wrote:
Sayie wrote:

They grow in size as you feed them. Also, if you give the Tabby largo a stony hen it makes a heart.

I know they grow in size, but I felt it was possibly too subtle? I barely noticed until I threw like 10 fruits at the pink slime. As for the Tabby Largo, doesn't it make a heart simply because that's a tabby's favorite food? It isn't really a problem though, since I still figured it out anyways and I am quite dumb lol
Signiture
Sayie
Plort

Postby Sutremaine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Sutremaine wrote:Make the gate the invisible wall.

Well, never mind this. I started a new game to see how quickly I could make money, and the Overgrowth now also has the gate over the top of the area. You can walk on it and get a nice aerial view.

You can still get to the Mossy Blanket immediately though. You need just the base jetpack upgrade, and that's available with your starting cash. As you walk along the last stretch of bridge, there's a round-topped stone pillar to your right. To get onto that, you can fly up to one of the wooden supports lining the bridge.

I like that you can sequence break like that. :) 'Feed the Gordo' is a puzzle, but so is figuring out how to use the terrain to get places. Even falling in the sea is part of the fun, as long as there _is_ a way in the end.

I'm curious about what you can actually get out of this, apart from personal satisfaction. I've had pink plort prices be above rock, phosphor, and tabby plorts for a while, because pink plorts are the only kind I don't make or sell. Maybe skipping straight to honey / boom / puddle plorts will make them less valuable quite quickly. Time to find out. :)
Sutremaine
Chickadoo

Postby Teesee » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:19 am

Hugger wrote:
Sayie wrote:

Also, I think I noticed a *wiggle intensifies*. This "puzzle" does not seem too subtle for me... You can't do anything but feed these guys. You even know the food type. A bit of guessing and "risky actions" (I'm not sure I'm doing something right, but let's try) is a good thing to me.
Teesee
Rancher

Return to General Discussion