Yet Another Ranch Design (YARD)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Yet Another Ranch Design (YARD)

Postby Jeb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello everyone,

Jeb wrote:I did not expect this first post to be so long. I've done my best to ensure it's worth your time. I'm not sure there's anything noteworthy here, but it's a good place for people to find ideas for better efficiency. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. It's been a year in the making.

I've been playing Slime Rancher since it was free through Gold on the Xbox. I'm not sure how long ago that was, but it's been a while. I've not played as long as some of you, but I feel I've explored the topic of efficiency to death. I've probably played through a dozen games to nearly 1000 days total. I'll admit this may be an exaggeration, though the point I'd like to make is that in every one of those games efficiency was my focus, and I think I'm fairly good at it.

So with that said, I offer Yet Another Ranch Design (YARD), with the intent to give new players and even some veterans ideas, especially now that drones are out. I'm also hoping for conversations that could lead to even better efficiency. I'll admit I've not played anything but adventure, and based on the objectives of the other game mode(s), this likely wouldn't be optimal in those modes.

Therefore, let's get into it. My goal is that drones will feed my slimes and store up plorts (an activity I found could take over half an in-game day), leaving the selling and refining of plorts to me (an activity that only needs to be done on an as needed basis), which gives more time for exploring or relaxing elsewhere on the Far, Far Range.

This ranch design is optimized for plort surplus (save more than you spend) without being excessive. Once you hit 7Zee rank 28 (where money is less important) the only thing left in my opinion is Slime Science. As such the most needed reusable gadgets are extractors, so this layout focuses on those specific plorts front and center.

Since we're limited to 2 drones, and my focus is on surplus without waste, I don't store food in silos and opt to one drone take food straight to the auto-feeder, allowing the other drone store plorts in the silos. I'd rather allow food to rot on the ground and have emergency reserves, by way of other gardens in the Manor and Retreat, and utilize my drones for more useful tasks eliminating redundant tasks.

During my testing, I found 6 largos is enough, with the auto-feeder set to the slowest speed. With the release of drones, some people have noticed some issues with feeding not being done quickly enough, and I'll admit more testing is needed, but I've found the 6 largos stay happy with the slowest auto-feeder speed. I've found anywhere from 5 to 7 largos works though.

For the longest I focused on favorite food, doubling my plort production, but I also found myself not needing that excess. Therefore I only care about separating by fruits or veggies, and even then using pogofruit and carrot as my food source. I still grow all the favorite foods, so if a burst of plorts is needed that remains an option, but from my experience it isn't needed often.

With the highest 7Zee rank achieved, money is less important, and once a Master or higher extractor is built, you won't need another for a while. This means gathering and selling or refining plorts become less frequent, ultimately leaving more time for exploring or relaxing in the Far, Far Range. And with 900 storage slots for each plort, you only need to be concerned with the daily watering of the drones.

Visit my Imgur gallery here for screenshots and commentary. I will be keeping the gallery updated, though discussion is welcome and invited in this thread.

Thank you,
Jeb
Last edited by Jeb on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jeb
Rancher

Re: Yet Another Ranch Design (YARD)

Updated original post with link to Imgur gallery.
Last edited by Jeb on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 am, edited 17 times in total.
Jeb
Rancher

I've updated my original post with a link to Imgur gallery.
Last edited by Jeb on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby TheLevens » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Idk if you’ve seen my build yet, but I made all my Largos fruit eaters and specifically feed them the favorite for double plorts. Each expansion with Largos have three different plorts being produced which covers all the materials I need for either refining or selling. I do have an extra plot that I made to be pink/saber Largos because they don’t have a special food.

As far as your chickens in the overgrowth, it’s a very smart move to utilize the natural spawn of hen hens. I have my drones programmed to pick up them up. Drone 1 keeps the coops cleaned up and it does leave a rooster and a couple chickens for more growth. Drone 2 picked up the chickens out of the coops. They both store them in a silo for me to process later. A side note: drone 1 also cleans out the elder hen/rooster storage bins in the coop.
Xbox1: The Levens
Watch me on Mixer if I’m on.
Day 300+
Z:28
+2,300,000U in the Bank
TheLevens
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Jeb wrote:Reserved for screenshots.

you do know that after 24 hours, you can't edit, right? So make sure to add the screenshots fast.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby Jeb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm

GoldenLucky99 wrote:
Jeb wrote:Reserved for screenshots.

you do know that after 24 hours, you can't edit, right? So make sure to add the screenshots fast.

I... had a feeling that would happen. I've created an Imgur gallery, and have added a link to that reply.
Last edited by Jeb on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Rancher

Postby Jeb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:41 pm

TheLevens wrote:Idk if you’ve seen my build yet, but I made all my Largos fruit eaters and specifically feed them the favorite for double plorts. Each expansion with Largos have three different plorts being produced which covers all the materials I need for either refining or selling. I do have an extra plot that I made to be pink/saber Largos because they don’t have a special food.

As I mentioned in my first post, I spent the majority of my time growing favorite foods so I could get double the plorts, but I also found that to be more than was actually needed.

Another reason has to do with how much manual gathering I want to do each day. By only using basic foods like pogofruit and carrots, I get fewer plorts over time, which amounts to less work overall... but still leaves me with enough plorts for all my needs.

Less is more is my current approach. I have favorite foods if needed, but since I'm only gathering plorts when I need them for science, I don't need the double production all the time.
Jeb
Rancher

Return to General Discussion