[RESOLVED]Insane peripheral input issues, phantom key press

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[RESOLVED]Insane peripheral input issues, phantom key press

Postby adambomb » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 am

ISSUE RESOLVED:
cause - vJOY virtual controller hiding on my computer
if you have the same problem go to control panel - devices - input devices and disable things you don't recognize
this had been messing me up in another game also, that I am now fine in
Big shout out to the team who had already listed this as a potential issue, I was simply "confident" I didn't have any but checked again

Hey guys.

I'm brand new here. I just downloaded the pre alpha and tried to play it. No matter what combination I used, mouse and keyboard, XBOX controller only, keyboard only, etc - every time I would get into game the vac would be pumping as fast as it could and moving the mouse points my face to the ground. It's acting like some key is being pressed and it's driving me nuts. It happens in menus, in game, etc.

I realize the most logical conclusion would be that I was dumb and had a controller plugged in, but that isn't the case. I've tried unplugging, reinstalling, restarting, etc
Thanks for any help
Last edited by adambomb on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adambomb
Plort

Re: Insane gamepad/mouse/keyboard issue

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:08 pm

"It's acting like some key is being pressed"

Often games act like some key is continuously being pressed. When this happens, just actually press the key that would result in this and it should stop.

I'm not sure if this is the same for your problem or not though, I didn't read the post in detail, I just noticed that bit and I don't think you mentioned trying this.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Do you have any virtual controllers in use (e.g. PPjoy, vJoy)? Those caused issues for me.
Krakob
Admin

Can't imagine using a controller

Postby Hexlash » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:39 pm

From the known issues thread:
4. Joysticks & Gamepads - if you have an XBox or similar controller, this should work fine, but it appears that some (many?) other types of joysticks and gamepads when plugged in are causing control interference. Unplugging these should hopefully allow keyboard/mouse control to work.

In any case, system specs and submitting a bug report would probably help. I don't know anything about using a controller, but maybe just the way the controller is configured could be messing it up. (Maybe check key bindings in game?)
Hexlash
Rancher

Postby NebuKiniza » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:28 pm

I have the exact same issue T-T
NebuKiniza
Plort

Postby DuckOnDrugs » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Got the same issue. Unplugged any gamepad and pressed any button - Still can't control anything
DuckOnDrugs
Plort

Postby adambomb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Glad to know other people are having the same problem. No virtual controllers or anything out of the ordinary, very vanilla set up. I even sort of bought a new keyboard to test out the variables. No key pressing seems to solve the issue. But what I can say is that it seems like the inertial direction is down - whatever the game is doing or interacting with my peripherals - its dragging down the menu, facing down in game, etc.

Could we get some more developer input into the issue?
adambomb
Plort

Postby Butts » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:58 pm

I just have a mouse and key board that I use for it. I also have a flightstick plugged in and a wireless reciever for controllers but don't use either for the game but have the same problem. Submitted a bug report. Would love a solution so i can play this game, it looks amazing!
Butts
Plort

Re: Insane peripheral input issues - phantom key pressing

Postby Butts » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:59 pm

I found a solution!
If you unbind everything in the controler menu then it stops the gun from firing.
If you can figure out how to unbind the sticks then you could stop your character from spinning and moving without your consent.
If anyone finds out how to unbind the sticks then post it here.
Butts
Plort

Postby adambomb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Butts wrote:I found a solution!
If you unbind everything in the controler menu then it stops the gun from firing.
If you can figure out how to unbind the sticks then you could stop your character from spinning and moving without your consent.
If anyone finds out how to unbind the sticks then post it here.

I dont have a problem with moving, i cant move. my character just looks down and spins, and in menus it just jumps down the options

Glad you had some luck experimenting though
adambomb
Plort

Postby adambomb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Major progress: turning on swap analog input in the controller section makes the game playable, but you will constantly move forwards.

It's not great, but it's something

Most likely conclusion: Some mouses with more complicated/less recognized configurations are being regarded as some type of controller
adambomb
Plort

Postby adambomb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 pm

ISSUE RESOLVED:
cause - vJOY virtual controller hiding on my computer
if you have the same problem go to control panel - devices - input devices and disable things you don't recognize
this had been messing me up in another game also, that I am now fine in
Big shout out to the team who had already listed this as a potential issue, I was simply "confident" I didn't have any but checked again
adambomb
Plort

Return to General Discussion