Suggestion: ability to turn off tarr

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Suggestion: ability to turn off tarr

Postby slimerancher34 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Let me explain. I enjoy tranquil and easy to play games, like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. Slime Rancher is a lot like these games, in my opinion...except when the tarr show up in the wild! It's just stressful to run away from it and get rid of it with water. I just wish there was the option to disable tarr in my game.

I understand that a lot of people probably enjoy this feature and that's why I'm just suggesting this as an optional switch, not a permanent change to the game! :)
slimerancher34
Chickadoo

Re: Suggestion: ability to turn off tarr

Postby SpiralRancher » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Hey, don't forget that you had bees to worry about in Animal Crossing.

I suppose this could make for an interesting cheat code in the future, considering a blatantly accessible toggle option would raise a lot of eyebrows. But until then, keep calm and vac' em up then out of the way. Tarrs are relentless, but not self-cautious.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Sokyogoku » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 am

I don't mind tarr as much but I agree with having the toggle on/off option. Slime Rancher seems very friendly and as a game for children but some of them may (or may not) be too scared of tarr to continue playing the game.
About Animal Crossing bees aren't as scary as Tarr and they had another very unpleasant character Mr Resetti which in the New Leaf made an additional feature because he was making little girls cry.
Sokyogoku
Plort

Postby FoxyBoxes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 am

How can you be scared of tarrs? First time I saw one I cuddled it so much I died.
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby Rosewell8 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 am

I just ignore them, unless for some reason I have water in my Vac pack. They seem to be more interested in slimes than you, I suppose it's because they can grab slimes with their arms.
I just call them Squishies. :3
Rosewell8
Chickadoo

Postby slimerancher34 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

FoxyBoxes wrote:How can you be scared of tarrs? First time I saw one I cuddled it so much I died.

At this point they're just more of a hassle than scary, they just multiply so fast.
slimerancher34
Chickadoo

Postby Nummles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion!

Though I personally think that having the Tarr gives some depth to the game. It was just be too easy if there was no struggle. And like SprialRancher said, even the easiest of games have enemies. The bees and mosquitoes in Animal Crossing are not nice either!
Nummles
Rancher

Postby slimerancher34 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Nummles wrote:Thanks for the suggestion!

Though I personally think that having the Tarr gives some depth to the game. It was just be too easy if there was no struggle. And like SprialRancher said, even the easiest of games have enemies. The bees and mosquitoes in Animal Crossing are not nice either!

The bees in animal crossing just give you a sting, they don't destroy your entire town/your entire game's work. that's mostly what i don't like about it ):
slimerancher34
Chickadoo

Postby 43Darknero » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Nummles wrote:Thanks for the suggestion!

don't forget tarantulas and scorpions in Animal crossing new leaf that knock you out. :P
Tabby slimes are too cute I made dis http://fav.me/d9pfb3b
Thought of a slime called Angelic. Check it out!
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=883
Avatar by http://forums.monomipark.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16677
43Darknero
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Sokyogoku wrote:I don't mind tarr as much but I agree with having the toggle on/off option. Slime Rancher seems very friendly and as a game for children but some of them may (or may not) be too scared of tarr to continue playing the game.
About Animal Crossing bees aren't as scary as Tarr and they had another very unpleasant character Mr Resetti which in the New Leaf made an additional feature because he was making little girls cry.

Something that's friendly for kids and something that's meant for children aren't exactly the same thing. The differences are subtle, so it's easy to confuse the two, but the defining contexts are still massive between the two.

And Mr. Resetti is clearly the most entertaining character in that series, it's the little crying kids that are being ridiculous. Don't blame the old man.
┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 pm

I suppose there is no real harm in implementing something like this. Would take away a bit of the challenge. But the game is still so early in development, that we really don't know how this would affect the game down the line.

It would not be a priority. Let the game flesh out a bit. Then I think it would have a higher chance of happening.
Nunn
Rancher

Postby 43Darknero » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:43 pm

the only "good" thing about tarrs is that it helps with the population control sometimes.
Tabby slimes are too cute I made dis http://fav.me/d9pfb3b
Thought of a slime called Angelic. Check it out!
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=883
Avatar by http://forums.monomipark.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16677
43Darknero
Rancher

Postby Wonda » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Ehh, the Tarr is supposed to be one's punishment for trying to care for too many slimes. However, it forces players to clean up areas to ensure Tarrs don't spawn. Either you can take this positively or negatively.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:39 pm

I think we also have to take into consideration that the Dry Reef still is incomplete and will be expanded in the future. Perhaps then, different slime species will tend not to mix areas as much. And the reason they are found together often is because the devs want us to be able to experience more early on.
Nunn
Rancher

Return to General Discussion