My personal review and suggestions for the game. (0.2.4b)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

My personal review and suggestions for the game. (0.2.4b)

Postby ITJB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello everyone, My name is JB. I've recently bought Slime rancher after seeing some footage online, and I'd just like to give my personal opinion and some of my suggestions for the game.
Time played..png
Time played..png (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

From start to finish i would like to say I've enjoyed this game a lot, I was entertained albeit a little annoyed at some points throughout my play through. Very Fun and a very nice game to play when I'm just trying to relax. I'm going to go through and explain What all annoyed me through the play through and why it did. Afterwards I'll explain what all I enjoyed and my suggestions after that.

Annoyances
The game at points had me irritated specifically when i started to corral boom slimes, I probably shoved more than i should've into one pen but at the time when I discovered them they were near 60-70 a plort. The explosions just were a little to much for the way the plort collectors were set up, nothing was more annoying than seeing four of them fly out after the net had depleted with 9 different plorts going every which direction. it ended up being easier just to avoid farming their plorts all together especially with their food source being meat.

The Tar Didn't seem very troublesome to me, at least in my play through they never came close to my ranch. The closest encounter I had was when i discovered how exactly they formed by attempting the achievement risky business, Where i placed a "Largo" into a pen full of plorts. Even when i was out exploring if a gang of the tar showed and started trying to attack me i either just left the area free of harm or just started shooting them into the sea with ease

The achievements bothered me also. The amount of exploration i did just to find the quarry, Only to go onto the wiki to see that it wasn't even implemented yet was a real moral breaker. By that point i would say i was almost 95% through the game, only to find that a fair few of the achievements were unobtainable.

The vacc pack was another major problem for me, on my way to the 100,000 Achievement I found it very annoying to have to constantly go back and forth with intervals of 50 at a rate of what seemed to be about 3 plorts a second.

I never found a use for the incinerator/Silo the silo I feel i could use if i felt like getting the most money out of my plorts, but i made so many it didn't really matter to me. The incinerator i literally only used for the two achievements to deal with chickens if i ever needed to get rid of anything shooting it over the walls into the sea was more than enough rather than wasting a plot.

That's really all i have for complaints, as i said i found it to be a very fun and entertaining game, i also wasn't as upset with said concerns because it's still in development.

Enjoyments
The aesthetics were very pleasing, the art and everything all seemed to mesh well together.

The game wasn't incredibly hard, I wasn't ever stressing over food or money, if i needed to supplement my income or get more emergency food the open area next to the ranch was always full of pink slimes producing at an incredible rate.

The game isn't hard to get a hang of, no advanced mechanics. I didn't have to micro manage my farm and fear not pausing if I went away for a second.

I'm cutting this part a bit short, because i don't want to be excessively long and 'd rather focus on improving what i think isn't amazing about the game

Suggestions
    ADD AN OPTION TO CHOOSE WHICH CORNER PLORT COLLECTORS AND AUTO FEEDERS ARE PLACED ON
    Make tar a bit more challenging to deal with
    Add a blast shield upgrade to corrals to prevent damage or displacement through the walls
    Put a Work in progress icon next to achievements that are unobtainable in the current patch
    Maybe find a bit more usefulness out of the incinerator
    Allow upgrades to ponds, make them more farm-able rather than classic manual labor
    add more endgame upgrades to the vacc pack, something like faster suck/spit speed or increased range
    Increase the tutorial, i spent half the game not realizing that "largo's" were just hybrid slimes
    Explain more about the tar! if I'm only getting one enemy i wan't to know all about them!

I'll add more as i think about them feel free to post suggestions in the comments and what you've felt/experienced through your play-through!
Also, a album of my ranch. incase you were wondering http://imgur.com/a/tizgz
ITJB
Plort

Re: My personal review and suggestions for the game. (0.2.4b

Postby Heather » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:41 am

Welcome to our community JB!
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions with us, it's appreciated.
Heather
Admin

Return to General Discussion