[SUGGESTION]Multiplayer!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[SUGGESTION]Multiplayer!

Postby TheDerpHatMan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:44 pm

I've been playing the early access for quite some time now, and I've been loving the HECK out of it, it's been extremely fun, if not a teeny bit repetitive.(note:I know you're working on much more content)But I think that if you guys added multiplayer(Yes, that would be quite hard depending on how much you know about multiplayer stuff)It would be one of the best experiences ever. You could go around and either have your friend(s) be farm assistants, or you could have them be other farmers working against you in the way of slime ranching.
TheDerpHatMan
Plort

Re: [SUGGESTION]Multiplayer!

Postby MLeonhardt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Please, no multiplayer.
MLeonhardt
Rancher

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:48 pm

I second this. ^^^^^^

Please no multiplayer.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby TheDerpHatMan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:50 am

MLeonhardt wrote:Please, no multiplayer.

Multiplayer could work fine, I understand that it doesn't have to exist, but it could definitely work, and if you're going to say "NO!" then at least tell me WHY.
TheDerpHatMan
Plort

Postby Maliki » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:08 am

this game is realy centered around a single player experiance with multiplayer i think the world would just run out too fast even once completed this is a nice chill little game no need to add some kind of vs or co op mode
Maliki
Rancher

Postby SatyPardus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:04 am

You are not forced to use MP, so there is no need to yell "No!" :3
But yeah. I suggest multiplayer to, and as this game is made in Unity, adding multiplayer should be a thing in only hours.

Unity's Multiplayer features are a really easy drag and drop feature, which i already know for a very long time. Nick would just have to make some code additions for spawning things.

So: +1 from me.
SatyPardus
Rancher

Postby Bigmatter » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:21 am

I think having a little co-op mode would be nice for when the game has a lot more to it. Maybe just 1 or 2 friends though, or else it'd be a bit crowded.
Bigmatter
Chickadoo

Postby FarmerYuuma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 am

The point is not "would you play it or not".
The point is it's not necessary and doesn't add gameplay or anything special to the game.

If once the game is finished and released, they want to add multiplayer, that's okay. But right now, the Dev team have decided they have no interest in it whatsoever and won't do it.
FarmerYuuma
Rancher

Postby FoxyBoxes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:57 am

No multiplayer. It's single player focused and it should stay that way.

"But adding multiplayer doesn't affect you if you don't use it" you cry. Oh yes it does. It takes time and resources away from the development team, which is a finite material.
Sure they could add multiplayer, but then you lose the interstellar features, for example.
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:28 am

FoxyBoxes wrote:Sure they could add multiplayer, but then you lose the interstellar features, for example.

Speaking of examples, name us one such feature.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby FoxyBoxes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 am

You just bolded one?
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am

FoxyBoxes wrote:You just bolded one?

I bolded the indication that there is one, but I can't really guess what you had in mind. It could mean anything.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby FoxyBoxes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:59 am

It means that the inclusion of multiplayer means less resources to any other feature imaginable. For the benefit of multiplayer.
Which, if we assume the least time invested would be multiple people working the same ranch.
Of course they could make it more interesting than that, but then that's even less resources going towards other features.
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:04 am

I agree that's it's a consequence of working on a multiplayer mode. But there are consequences for every action taken and decision made.

And I agree that it's best to make sure that the game is in a more complete state to give multiplayer a go. But it's not exactly a bad thing in general for Slime Rancher to have, now is it?
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby FoxyBoxes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:18 am

Versus a more in depth single player, giving the playstyle of Sline Rancher? Yes, yes it is.
FoxyBoxes
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:21 am

Well I never played Sline Rancher, so I wouldn't know.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby FreddyReady » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:45 am

TheDerpHatMan wrote:Multiplayer could work fine, I understand that it doesn't have to exist, but it could definitely work, and if you're going to say "NO!" then at least tell me WHY.

Mp for the sake of MP is a stupid idea in general, waste of everyones time execpt few.
Coop or mini games are more fun and more people would be drawn towards but not this 2 people on a SP focused or made for only 1 person (map design, timers/triggers, value, content) so a No on that area.
FarmerYuuma wrote:The point is not "would you play it or not".
The point is it's not necessary and doesn't add gameplay or anything special to the game.

If once the game is finished and released, they want to add multiplayer, that's okay. But right now, the Dev team have decided they have no interest in it whatsoever and won't do it.
The first part I got to disagree with.. It does add gameplay and something "special" to the game either it being fun, different styles (supports a more wide player base and more action if bored? just like most games adding mini games for fun)

The last part I agree with mostly wait until the other things that the game need is finished or if its in a decent state (if dev personally wants it) to create something like that to test and maybe have some fun him/her-self.

As I see many devs do is create something as a test or for fun and makes it into mini-games (like using features, like here if you took gathering "missions" mini-games into play or defend the land from tarr's)
FreddyReady
Rancher

Postby Teesee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:18 pm

As stated in the FAQ :

"Will Slime Rancher support multiplayer?
Slime Rancher is currently being developed as a single player game. There are no plans for multiplayer support."

Sounds like a no from the devs, they might change their minds though if the development goes fine and maybe if the team grows.
Teesee
Rancher

Postby MLeonhardt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 pm

SatyPardus wrote:You are not forced to use MP, so there is no need to yell "No!" :3

But it takes massive amounts of development time, and completely changes the nature of the game.

So yes, saying "No thanks" is completely justified.
MLeonhardt
Rancher

Postby FreddyReady » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:22 pm

MLeonhardt wrote:But it takes massive amounts of development time, and completely changes the nature of the game.
depends.
FreddyReady
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:31 pm

MLeonhardt wrote:But it takes massive amounts of development time, and completely changes the nature of the game.

It's a fair assumption, but you don't know for sure if that's going to be the case at all. You don't happen to be against the idea simply because you dread the thought of a bad case scenario, do you?
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Teesee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Nah, integrating multiplayer functionalities and Steam functionalities is a big chunk. Some devs actually have to subcontract these tasks to avoid delays in the game's "core" development.
Teesee
Rancher

Postby FreddyReady » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:03 pm

Teesee wrote: Some devs actually have to subcontract these tasks to avoid delays in the game's "core" development.
depends, on what MP would mean (splitscreen,coop/mini games local etc)
And unity got its own stuff don't they?
Oh wait I think there is a Addon in unity for that?
FreddyReady
Rancher

Postby E1d2f3 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Multiplayer would be good,BUT it's generally tough to convert a singleplayer game to multiplayer because they would have to create an actual character and an animation for that character's movement. And considering the game is still in pre-alpha,I think it's best they get it out of that stage before worrying about multiplayer.
E1d2f3
Plort

Return to General Discussion