Free range ranch farming?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Free range ranch farming?

Postby keybounce » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 am

How does anyone do free range ranching of slimes? Unless there's something that don't understand, that's just asking for Tarrs to take over your ranch.
keybounce
Plort

Re: Free range ranch farming?

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:47 am

Well, on casual mode you don't have to worry about that.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Darko » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Tarr's are esay to deal with just like any other slime's + free range farming is a stupid thing to do. best stick to the safety of corral's.
Darko
Chickadoo

Postby GravityCat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Darko wrote:Tarr's are esay to deal with just like any other slime's + free range farming is a stupid thing to do. best stick to the safety of corral's.

Unless you're on Casual Mode.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Noggy05 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 am

My best friend got Slime Rancher and showed me his ranch. All the slimes were eating each other's plorts. I freaked out. Until he told me it was casual mode.
Lionmeow made my avatar!

Thanks for three amazing years.
I'm not active here anymore, email me at thatsnosquirrel@gmail.com or add me on discord at Comically Overpowered Greela#5756 if you want to talk to me.
Noggy05
Keeper

Postby Fishkeeper » Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Free ranging is possible in non-casual mode depending on what you're doing.
For example, you can put Largos in the Grotto and they pretty much can't escape. They definitely can't get back up the road into the main ranch. If you keep Phosphor Largos, they poof if they escape, so no problem.
The Overgrowth is also a pretty good place to free-range, slimes generally don't go along the winding path back to your main ranch, but you'll occasionally lose them to escapes over the edge.
Ogden's Retreat is perfect for free-ranging common slimes that you don't mind replacing. They come off the edges and vanish sometimes, but they can't escape into your main ranch. I keep mine packed full of Dervishes, nothing but Dervish slimes and Prickly Pear gardens, and can vac up a couple hundred plorts every visit. All I have to do is pop into the Glass Desert via a portal and vac up 10-20 of 'em in a couple minutes now and then to replace the escapes.
Moshi's Mansion is great for free-ranging non-Largos on the lower portions, if you don't mind replacing them now and then when they jump out. I keep my Mosaics on one half and a corral on the other, the river keeps them apart.
I have Honey slimes all over my main ranch, running wild, with no issues. Used to be about a hundred Dervish slimes at a time, but the tornadoes were too annoying. Not the slimes, the tornadoes. I've made it a Moss Blanket theme now, so it's four Mint Mango gardens with Honey slimes running free, and three corrals with Hunter, Tabby, and Boom slimes.
Free-ranging around corrals can be trickier, but unless you're using Quantums, Dervishes, or Tangles, it's still doable. Even then, it's possible- I used to have a corral of Phosphor Tangles in a Grotto full of pure Phosphors. They can't reach any plorts other than ones they already include.

Also, it's what you want to do for Rush Mode. You pick one good Largo, you plant all the gardens with its favorite food, and you have as many of them as you can possibly gather in that one spot. If you only have that one Largo, no Tarr result.
Fishkeeper
Rancher

Postby SupaGamaBoi » Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I free-range Quantums in the overgrowth, where I store my chickens (quantum’s eat fruit, not chickens). Once one got ahold of a pink plort and they took over one time. Eventually I purged them and got new ones, and things have been fine since then.
Dank SupaGamaBoi wrote:
I EAT THE MEMES
I DRINK THE MEMES
WITHOUT MEMES I WILL DIE

BEWARE THE MAN WHO SPEAKS IN HANDS
LOOK AT THAT NOOB GO
SupaGamaBoi
Rancher

Postby Randomtangle » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am

I have crystals in my grotto, and in there there is only crystal largos.
Choose!

Bulbasuar

Charmander

Squirtle

I choose Charmander.
THANK'S HACHI!
I like Matter-Eater Lad!
I am a HUMMINGBIRD!
YIP
I
AM
HUMMINGBIRD!