Android version?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Android version?

Postby Qopwow » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:56 am

I would love to see slime rancher mobile, it is an awesome game and it would make it more accesible so more people could play its slimy goodness
Qopwow
Plort

Re: Android version?

Postby JustTheCoolDude » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:11 am

Pls just pls no

All agonizing humor aside..
i wont really say anything because i never have liked mobile games.. well mobile ports..
i really don't know how people control FP games on a touch screen. ahwell i'm just a pc gamer what do i know XD

But what would be cool is maybe a topdown management game (With some fun physics of course) in this theme.
but it would have to be "organic" just pressing buttons to feed/move/merge would be lame :I (Not enough chaos :3)

Anyway let them just focus on the pc version for now :P

PS: the title says Android, not mobile XD oh, you :P
/\ May or may not actually be "cool" :L
JustTheCoolDude
Plort

Postby Blazing » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:57 am

An Android version requires the game to be re-written (currently written in Unity) and yes my PC does feel the force of the game on the CPU and RAM, causing a lot of heat (It's not Australia causing this one). It'll make a lot of problems and the current window for the game is to be released on Steam Greenlight for the Steam Store.

Mobile will cause issues this early in development. If the game sells crazy (Terraria crazy level) we can then expect a mobile re-release
Do hit us up at The Sora League's Pokemon Showdown Server.
We are currently opened for Challengers and Members.
Hit the link above and be magically teleported to our server.

Youtube, Steam

See you on the Ranch!
Blazing
Chickadoo

Postby Krakob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:06 am

Blazing wrote:An Android version requires the game to be re-written (currently written in Unity)

Actually, Unity supports Android. However, it'd still take a lot of work to get it properly working, and not just in the code department. Reworking a game for mobile devices changes the pacing, controls, time spent, etc. significantly. More often than not, mobile ports of PC games are required to be redesigned so much they're hardly the same game anymore.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Blazing » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:17 am

Krakob wrote:Unity supports Android

Don't forget the IOS users!

And yeah I do agree with you adding to that mobile ports normally involve a third party porting company to make the transition as efficient as possible (Profit/Cost/etc)
Do hit us up at The Sora League's Pokemon Showdown Server.
We are currently opened for Challengers and Members.
Hit the link above and be magically teleported to our server.

Youtube, Steam

See you on the Ranch!
Blazing
Chickadoo

Postby TheGeneral » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Making this game in android version is stupid. A WHOLE bunch more work for a iOS or android version isn't worth it. Most iOS FP games are hard to control and that will just get the PC version a bad name. Honestly the game is great for PC and android version is a bust
TheGeneral
Plort

Postby MrFastZombie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:34 pm

I would love to see an Android version, but this will probably be something to happen in a very long time if at all, since they gotta focus on the actual game right now.
MrFastZombie
Plort

Such a port would be like flying overseas using a paper airp

Postby AutofireII » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:32 pm

The first problem is Unity. In my experience, there is quite a lot of fuss when it comes to porting. You have to sift through textures and find which ones should be compressed, gotta make sure all your game can work with small resolutions, etc. While I only have experience getting a Unity game onto Android, I assume there are similar issues when porting to other platforms. Unity is also very inefficient; a simple game like Space Shooter requires at least 22 MB, which is fairly large for such a small project. For the record, Hearthstone is build in Unity, and it is 2 GB in size (as opposed to the Windows version's 1.34 GB) and is fairly demanding. My phone loses most of its battery power within the course of roughly 8 matches (or about 2 hours), but it can last for a better part of the day when not running Hearthstone.

But say you have a really good phone with 32 GB of internal ROM. Great great. But then you have a much larger problem: an FPS is a terrible phone game. According to Extra Credits, you can't just port any old game, and this is obvious if you think about it. I mean, it can be done (Minecraft has probably the best touchscreen interface I've ever seen, but that was a large touchscreen), but it just doesn't work as well. It is probably better to make a spin-off or an entirely different game. (Bethesda's Fallout is a great example of this.)

It can be done, but it would be a poor business and design choice.
You are experiencing a PICNIC ERROR!
AutofireII
Chickadoo

Postby matik2002 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:15 pm

According to me, porting games is a very bad idea. What if Slime Rancher on Android was released, then Monomi decides to publish on Steam Greenlight?! It will receive lots of hate and negative comments! First please publish on Greenlight and once it is greenlit develop an Android version of Slime Rancher.

P.S. Anybody from Spiral Knights forums: I am Matikclocker.
A robotic knight Matikclocker becomes a robotic rancher...He killed slimes on Cradle, now he is forced to ranch them, feed them, collect from them and rise to fame and fortune to show Energyload and Heavyduty-Charge that slimes can be ranched, not killed.
matik2002
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion