Slime Rancher on the Nintendo Switch?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Rancher on the Nintendo Switch?

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

It seems like a perfect game for the Switch. I know the Nindies were literally today as I’m writing this, but you could maybe set it up for next time? As for the controls, maybe the left analog stick for walking, right analog stick for the camera, and the triggers for the vacpack. Miscellaneous functions could be mapped to the D-Pad and more important features for A,B,X,Y. The Switch needs the wonderfully wiggley world of Slime Rancher!
SomeRandomGuy
Plort

Re: Slime Rancher on the Nintendo Switch?

Postby GravityCat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 pm

I recently got the Switch so I wouldn't mind more games on it.

Clocked up 110 hours on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 before beating the main story in a week and a bit. I need to fill the void.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 am

The devs once said that the switch might be too weak to handle it.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby BlanketPI » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:The devs once said that the switch might be too weak to handle it.
Yeah, considering the Xbox One has small amounts of lag not-so infrequently, I'd hate to see how much the Switch has. Maybe with some significant graphical downgrades (especially with the oases), simplification of off-screen movement, and the like it would work, but otherwise it would probably be a lagfest.

Which is a shame, because playing it on the go would be cool, and Slime Rancher has an aesthetic that is often associated with Nintendo (so it might well have a higher attach rate there). But what can you do?
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:21 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:The devs once said that the switch might be too weak to handle it.

Ah, fair enough.

I guess that means it's more taxing than Skyrim. Weirdly enough.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby BlanketPI » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 pm

GravityCat wrote:
To clarify: I don't know if Skyrim has to do this (never played it), but Slime Rancher has to calculate a lot of things that aren't in your general vicinity, especially on your ranch. It does keep track of whatever Slimes you've already seen in other areas for a limited time (so it's not like you leave the Indigo Quarry and suddenly all the Slimes have to be reborn nor are exactly as they were when you left, assuming you haven't left for too long), and that might include collisions with structures and gadgets as well as Plort production and consumption (though that might be done through something more statistical guesses, to reduce the load on the CPU).

I imagine that Skyrim focuses more on what is nearby, and the stuff further away is just a few basic calculations like how quickly something happened.
BlanketPI
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 pm

BlanketPI wrote:
GravityCat wrote:
To clarify: I don't know if Skyrim has to do this (never played it), but Slime Rancher has to calculate a lot of things that aren't in your general vicinity, especially on your ranch. It does keep track of whatever Slimes you've already seen in other areas for a limited time (so it's not like you leave the Indigo Quarry and suddenly all the Slimes have to be reborn nor are exactly as they were when you left, assuming you haven't left for too long), and that might include collisions with structures and gadgets as well as Plort production and consumption (though that might be done through something more statistical guesses, to reduce the load on the CPU).

I imagine that Skyrim focuses more on what is nearby, and the stuff further away is just a few basic calculations like how quickly something happened.

From what I've gathered, processes that are de-rendered "catch up" when you return; this includes plort production, slime hunger, hen egg-laying, and miscellaneous functions like plort collectors and autofeeders. So there may be some background processes going on even if you're away, where ordinarily processes would just stop completely.

Minecraft is a fine example of processes halting completely when de-rendered. I don't know if you've played or know how it works, but it has 16x16 block radiuses called chunks, and it loads the world in chunks at a time. The only exception to the halted processes is the world spawn point chunk. Processes in that zone will continue even if far away from it.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Return to General Discussion