5 QOL features I would like to see added in the future!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

5 QOL features I would like to see added in the future!

Postby Billybobbjoebob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:44 am

QOL= Quality of Life. Changes that are made to increase the overall well-being of a player. Not with the intent to make it easier for the player. But to make the game more enjoyable and increase longevity. A way to smooth out edges and decrease annoyances.

Here is a brief summary of the changes I am suggesting;

1. Insta-Vac Transfer
2. Advance Trade System Mode
3. The ability to turn off Slime vacuuming by adding weight.
4. Vac-Pac Receiver/Stress Level Monitor
5. Echo Grid Aligner

With that out of the way, let's get started!

1. Insta-Vac Transfer: A lot of times, I just leave the plorts in the auto-collector because it takes forever to grab out all 100 and then to spit them all out into a storage container or selling them, and doing that for each collector. This would save plenty of time! I'm suggesting having the ability to connect your Vac hose directly to the opening of a plort collector/refinery/market, and then a small scroll bar would pop up, you could select an individual amount or have a button you can click to quickly select half or all of the plorts you have selected and then click transfer. Then, within 1-2 seconds, the amount of plorts you wanted to grab from a plort collector or sell have instantly been transferred in the blink of an eye!

2. Advance Trade System mode. I don't know about others, but I hardly use this feature anymore. Most the trades I get either offer 250 newbucks and a couple of crops I already have in bulk or 250 newbucks and maybe some plorts I don't have a need for, and what they might want, I could sell for about as much as what they're offering. Sometimes I get an offer of 1000 newbucks, but that's hardly ever and is really pocket change at this point. So here is my fix. Maybe start the trade system in the early part of the game like this, so players get a feel of how it works, then maybe with a 7zee upgrade or doing enough trades with a certain NPC unlocks the advance trade mode. The advance Trade Mode gives a point value to each thing. Example, pink plorts could count as 1 point, rad plorts count as 4, hen hens as 2, roostros as 6, Crystal slimes as 10, etc. Then, you still get the 2 NPC choice. And whichever one you choose still asks for their desired items, like Viktor with slimes, mochi with plorts, ogden with crops. BUT, here is where it gets good. You get to choose what you want in return. So if Ogden wants enough things that equal out to 20 points, then you have 20 points worth of stuff to pick from. And maybe add in a price variation depending on the NPC. Like Viktor specializes in slimes, so if you need a specific slime, you go to him, give him the slimes he needs, and use your points to choose the slimes you need as the reward, but if you need crops, you should pick Ogden, because everyone else might have their crops cost twice as many points since that's not their specialty. This would be great for things like right now, I am low on pink plorts. I don't have many pink slimes because they aren't money makers, but I need more of their plorts for slime science stuff. So I go to mochi, he asks for 4 rad plorts, 2 mosaic plorts, and a tangle plort. We can say this equals out to 40 points, and I already said pink plorts could cost one point, so that could get me 40 pink plorts easy, by exchanging the more further into the game, more difficult plorts to get. Or I can use all of my points for newbucks. Maybe 1 point counts for 25 new bucks so that's 2000 new bucks but no other rewards for that exchange.

3. The ability to turn off slime vacuuming. Too often, I'm trying to pick up plorts or food in the wild and instead I pick up a nearby slime, filling up my inventory, the food bounces off my vac-pac, and goes flying into a nearby slimes mouth. Irritating. Or, I have my quantum/hunter slimes roam free in the grotto, so I have to manually vac up their plorts but they always get stuck on the front of my vac-pac so I have to shoot them away. Annoying. With the ability to turn off slime vacuuming, I can go around with ease, picking up things around them without worrying about picking them up. And I already know of a way this could work into the lore of it all. Make it so slimes are simply heavier than everything else. So youre not really turning off the ability to vacuum them. Instead you're decreasing the strength of your vac-pac, allowing you to pick up lighter things while the heavier things don't get pulled in as well! Could also include toys with slimes. This would make it easier to clear out puddle slime ponds. You could grab their plorts without worrying about pulling the slime or their ducky toy into your stream.

4. Vac-pac Receiver/Stress Level Monitor: I don't have an issue with tarr outbreaks but I'm sure some do. What I suggest is another upgrade to the Corral. A Stress Level Monitor. As the name suggests, it monitors the stress levels of your slime. It is also connected to a receiver on your Vac-Pac. If you're out in the field and a tarr outbreak occures, you're notified about it on screen with a little notification. Maybe something like "Tarr outbreak in The Lab!" Extra QOL change: If they do intend to use my idea of adding a receiver to the vac-pac, I would suggest using it for other things, like notifying you if a corral has ran out of food or if any of your extractors are done, etc.

5. Echo Grid Aligner: Left on the D-pad on Xbox is not used for anything. And I'm sure there are plenty of keys on the PC not used. I'm suggesting using this button to pull up a small grid in front of the player that will help with lining up echos. The grid should stay connected with the map and not move with the player's view, so if they need to strafe from left to right, while following a grid line, it won't move oup or down if their character accidentally does. And to help with the game running, i'm not suggesting turning on this mode will make everything into a grid, I'm just suggesting a small grid overlay onto things right in front of the player, maybe no more than 5 feet away, or whatever the distance is you can shoot an echo. I hardly use echos because it's so hard to line them up perfectly. Unless the left d-pad is going to be used to change our vac-pac into that new mochi version that has been shown off, then instead just turn it on whenever an echo is selected in the inventory, or maybe clicking in right stick.

That's all of my ideas for now! Hopefully some of these are seen by the devs and they will add them in a future update. I will also be posting this on the Slime Rancher Reddit. Thanks for reading!
Billybobbjoebob
Plort

Re: 5 QOL features I would like to see added in the future!

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Nice ideas. Your third idea was actually in the game at one point. It was called Slime Filter, and it was removed in 0.2.1. I'm not sure why they did that though.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Re: 5 QOL features I would like to see added in the future!

Postby Billybobbjoebob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:Nice ideas. Your third idea was actually in the game at one point. It was called Slime Filter, and it was removed in 0.2.1. I'm not sure why they did that though.

Oh really? I had no idea. I'm also curious as to why it was removed. I came in some time after 0.3.0 because I remember already having the indigo quarry in my game and that's when it was added.
Billybobbjoebob
Plort

Return to General Discussion