Gameplay Mechanic Suggestion: Dyes for Pink Slimes

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Gameplay Mechanic Suggestion: Dyes for Pink Slimes

Postby Kaite20 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:27 am

Inspired by Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3's upcoming dye mechanic, I was thinking that we should have the option to dye the Pink Slimes different colors to make them a bit more likable of a type of slime. In fact, this really early image inspired the idea as well:

I was thinking you either fed Pink Slimes dyes or shot the dyes at the Pink Slimes, and the new color stays until a new dye is used. It's a purely cosmetic change, however, and the plorts are the same prices as the original pink plorts. The dye carries over to the largo counterparts as well.

What do you guys think?
Kaite20
Rancher

Re: Gameplay Mechanic Suggestion: Dyes for Pink Slimes

Postby FarmerYuuma » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

I like the idea of dying slimes.

But on the other hand, colors are being currently used to tell slimes apart easily, and I think we should stick with that. It would be a problem sticking a blue pink slime into a phosphor rock largo corral thinking it s a phosphor and creating Tarrs because of a color misunderstanding.
FarmerYuuma
Rancher

Postby Kaite20 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 am

Maybe different shades than the others of the same color, then? Like the blue would be darker, the red would be a little lighter, and so forth. As for the other slimes, they also have a special trait that Pinks don't have, like Rocks have the blue rock chunks, for example.
Kaite20
Rancher

Postby LunaLove » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am

I think it is an amazing idea! But how would you obtain these dyes is my question? Would they drop from crates or would you be able to create them from items you find in the game?
LunaLove
Chickadoo

Postby FarmerYuuma » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:16 pm

I think it would make sense if they were natural dyes instead, so Slimes will turn Pink if fed pogo fruits, green if fed mint mangos, brown if feed chicken, etc. Water would either do blue or rinse, i m not sure
FarmerYuuma
Rancher

Postby Kaite20 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:41 pm

LunaLove wrote:I think it is an amazing idea! But how would you obtain these dyes is my question? Would they drop from crates or would you be able to create them from items you find in the game?

FarmerYuuma wrote:I think it would make sense if they were natural dyes instead, so Slimes will turn Pink if fed pogo fruits, green if fed mint mangos, brown if feed chicken, etc. Water would either do blue or rinse, i m not sure

Hmm... natural dyes sound good. Either feeding them can work with changing color, we can go with a dye booth, as an extra building that could be made, which gives dyes using the items. Maybe the list would be like this for now:

Pogo Fruit: Pink
Cubeberry: Red
Mint Mangos: Green
Carrots: Orange
Heart Beets: Purple
Hen Hens: White
Stony Hens: Blue
Briar Hens: Yellow
Roostros: Black

Of course, new food will be added for the updates, so this list can easily change.
Kaite20
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

I feel like turning chickens into dyes would result in a lot of... red? D:
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby FarmerYuuma » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:37 am

Pigcatapult wrote:I feel like turning chickens into dyes would result in a lot of... red? D:

Oh. Right.

The idea was that the slimes "mutate" to a different color instead of putting the chickens on a grinder.... but... I get what you mean and it's terrifying
FarmerYuuma
Rancher

Postby Kaite20 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

FarmerYuuma wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:I feel like turning chickens into dyes would result in a lot of... red? D:

Oh. Right.

The idea was that the slimes "mutate" to a different color instead of putting the chickens on a grinder.... but... I get what you mean and it's terrifying

Yeah... I wasn't thinking of it THAT way... maybe chickens couldn't turn into dye because of the results. In that case, carrots could be yellow, and Heart Beets could be blue until better options come along.
Kaite20
Rancher

Postby Nummles » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:11 pm

I like the idea of the starter slime could be different colors, but only if it's dyes. If the basic slime was different colors it would be confusing to new players. If dyes were a thing, I think it would be something you make by like crushing the fruit with a machine? Maybe like 5 fruit or veggie would make a single dye and then you can shoot it at a Pink Slime. It only works on them, and their plorts would stay pink otherwise it would be confusing if it changed color as well.
Nummles
Rancher

Postby Kaite20 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Nummles wrote:I like the idea of the starter slime could be different colors, but only if it's dyes. If the basic slime was different colors it would be confusing to new players. If dyes were a thing, I think it would be something you make by like crushing the fruit with a machine? Maybe like 5 fruit or veggie would make a single dye and then you can shoot it at a Pink Slime. It only works on them, and their plorts would stay pink otherwise it would be confusing if it changed color as well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The plorts should stay pink, or at least not change price with the color. And basically, the "crushing fruit" idea was just mentioned in the form of a dye station, and I figured the dye would have to be shot at a pink slime/largo.
Kaite20
Rancher

Return to General Discussion