Nick, what's your inspiration for Slime Rancher?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: Nick, what's your inspiration for Slime Rancher?

Postby Heather » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:49 pm

PrismSlime wrote:the difference there is the game won't just play itself. you can hardly compare a clicker game to a farming game.

I couldn't agree more!
Heather
Admin

Postby PrismSlime » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

that being said though, i wouldn't mind those slime bots hachi drew floating around managing some farms :3
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby kittyourock14 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:21 am

Nick wrote:I don't recall how it came together, but usually game ideas come into my brain fairly whole, as in they're not built upon over time (though the design from there definitely is, still in my head though). So it's quite likely that much of what the game is now was more or less a single thought at some point.

When I was gearing up to leave Sega and start my own thing I started coming up with a bunch of games that I'd want to make. As unromantic as it sounds, I created a spreadsheet where each one was listed and their various complexities, then ranked them by overall difficulty vs some other positive qualities. Slime Rancher was the clear winner for how I would soon find myself (working solo). I then built a very simple prototype to prove it was fun.

But there's other, less clinical factors too: I've always liked slimes ever since DQ, the idea seemed original to me, it was a game genre I've never made before and I liked the challenge, etc.

I love being able to hear your story behind all of this Nick! Are you surprised that slime rancher actually got really famous within these last couple of months? I mean, big youtubers are playing it, it is getting loads of attention from the gaming community! Did you ever expect it to skyrocket this quickly?

P.S I love you for creating this amazing game..

Why isn't there a Harry Potter slime? </3
kittyourock14
Rancher

Previous

Return to General Discussion