Painted Hens Stubbornly Refusing to Breed

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Painted Hens Stubbornly Refusing to Breed

Postby treehugger0123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

So I have Ogden's retreat filled with chicken coops, two for each type barring normal Hen Hens so most of my carnivorous slimes can be easily fed their favorite(There's one more of each kind on the main ranch as well). The Briar and Stony Hens usually get a good bumper crop before my feeding rounds, but more than once I've been lucky to get maybe one or two more Painted Hens in the coops before feeding time. I have the same setup there as I do my Briar and Stony coops--one Roostro and five hens. Is there an extra variable with them that I'm missing?

And inb4 anyone suggests I turn my Tangle Slimes into Largos with an easier-to-acquire favorite, no. I've dealt with slimes escaping from my pens despite high walls and air nets--and the one Largo I have on my ranch, Pink Sabers, seems to be particularly good at this--and the last thing I want is a Tangle Largo escaping and gobbling up another plort and becoming a Tarr.
Last edited by treehugger0123 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treehugger0123
Rancher

Re: Painted Hens Stubbornly Refusing to Breed

Postby MaximusLeMontagne » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 pm

I have had similar problems with my Stony Hens (Tabby's favorite), I have found that if you add different hens (less than the number of Painted Hens by 2) and have two Roostro, they breed more continuously that before. Make sure you have all the advancements on coops as well. If it doesn't work, try a different building site as some work better than others for some reason.
Hope this helps!
Wishing you a good plort harvest as well!
Ethan Chapman (Real Name)

I am currently working on a Slime Rancher Project! Interested? Look at the "Old Rancher Hobson" post!
MaximusLeMontagne
Plort

Location: The deep space where I can visit different universes (games)

Postby treehugger0123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:19 am

MaximusLeMontagne wrote:I have had similar problems with my Stony Hens (Tabby's favorite), I have found that if you add different hens (less than the number of Painted Hens by 2) and have two Roostro, they breed more continuously that before. Make sure you have all the advancements on coops as well. If it doesn't work, try a different building site as some work better than others for some reason.
Hope this helps!

Just FYI: Every Coop I have has the spring grass and vita rays :)

Currently on my first feeding round since implementing this. Final count between the two Retreat coops(I didn't do this on the Overgrowth coop because it seems to lack this problem) was 18 Painted Hens, 17 Hen Hens, 7 Roostros, and 21 Chickadoos(as well as an Elder Hen that I'm not counting because it's impossible to know which kind of hen it was before). The starting count was 10 Painted Hens, 6 Hen Hens, and 4 Roostros.

I'm gonna try with Stony Hens and Briar Hens next, but right now I'm not too terribly impressed by the fact that I got more Hen Hens out of it--even without counting the Chickadoos--than I did the Painted Hens I was after. :/

ETA: Stony Hens performed even worse--not a single new Painted Hen.

ETA2: Briar Hens had a mixed bag; one coop gave me one additional Painted Hen, but the other had 5 Painted Chicks(though no new full grown hens). Both on top of several Briar Hens and Chicks. Might have to try this one again and see if the first coop was bad luck or the second good luck, because 5 chicks per might be barely enough.
Last edited by treehugger0123 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treehugger0123
Rancher

Postby GravityCat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm

I've not had any issues with Stony Hens and regular Hens, if that means anything.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby ILoveTurtles891 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't breed chickens
-Sam Vlasenko (real name)
if you see this, you cannot see the other one
if you see this, you cannot see the other one
ILoveTurtles891
Rancher

Location: stuck is in the glass desert, finding my 18 gilded ginger

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

How many chickens are in each coop?
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Less than 12 as that is the cap
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby MaximusLeMontagne » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 pm

treehugger0123 wrote:
MaximusLeMontagne wrote:I have had similar problems with my Stony Hens (Tabby's favorite), I have found that if you add different hens (less than the number of Painted Hens by 2) and have two Roostro, they breed more continuously that before. Make sure you have all the advancements on coops as well. If it doesn't work, try a different building site as some work better than others for some reason.
Hope this helps!

Just FYI: Every Coop I have has the spring grass and vita rays :)

Currently on my first feeding round since implementing this. Final count between the two Retreat coops(I didn't do this on the Overgrowth coop because it seems to lack this problem) was 18 Painted Hens, 17 Hen Hens, 7 Roostros, and 21 Chickadoos(as well as an Elder Hen that I'm not counting because it's impossible to know which kind of hen it was before). The starting count was 10 Painted Hens, 6 Hen Hens, and 4 Roostros.

I'm gonna try with Stony Hens and Briar Hens next, but right now I'm not too terribly impressed by the fact that I got more Hen Hens out of it--even without counting the Chickadoos--than I did the Painted Hens I was after. :/

ETA: Stony Hens performed even worse--not a single new Painted Hen.

ETA2: Briar Hens had a mixed bag; one coop gave me one additional Painted Hen, but the other had 5 Painted Chicks(though no new full grown hens). Both on top of several Briar Hens and Chicks. Might have to try this one again and see if the first coop was bad luck or the second good luck, because 5 chicks per might be barely enough.

I am trying this with several breeds in attempt to aid you better, so far, I have 2 Roostro, 2 Hen Hens, 1 Stony Hen and 3 painted Hens straight from the Glass Desert. Will post results after 5 in-game days.

Results1: My two Roostro became elders (odd), I gained a Stony Hen, 6 Hen Hens, and 3 Painted Hens.
I will test another 5 days with two new roostros to attempt to form an algorithm with the breeding rates of hens.

Results2: My Roostro stayed Roostro, I gained 2 Stony hens, 7 Hen hens and 4 Painted hens. I will try one more time with my set-up.

Results3: My Roostros grew old, I got 6 Painted hens and two Hen hens.
I cannot Identify an algorithm, but I got an average of 0.867 Painted hens each day (13 extra painted hens in 15 days), 1 Hen hen per day (15 extra Hen hens in 15 days), and 0.2 Stony hens per day (3 extra Stony hens in 15 days).

I assume that with these results, it would be most profitable to have 1 stony hen with 3 painted hens and at least one roostro in at least 2 coops to start out, this will raise your average to at least 1.734 Painted hens/day and within an in-game week, you should have gained (give or take a few) 12 Painted hens and (give or take) 3 Stony hens. Roostro can only live 10 days before becoming Elders.
Last edited by MaximusLeMontagne on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan Chapman (Real Name)

I am currently working on a Slime Rancher Project! Interested? Look at the "Old Rancher Hobson" post!
MaximusLeMontagne
Plort

Location: The deep space where I can visit different universes (games)

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 pm

I am trying this with several breeds in attempt to aid you better, so far, I have 2 Roostro, 2 Hen Hens, 1 Stony Hen and 3 painted Hens straight from the Glass Desert. Will post results after 5 in-game days.

Should only get 4 additions may get lucky and have more while the others are still growing up
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby Fishkeeper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm

I keep 2 Roosteros and 5 Hens per coop for breeding, and I find that Painted Hens seem to breed fastest if you have 3-4 of them and 1-2 of something else.

I have Phosphor Tangles, Rock Tangles, Pink Tangles, and Boom Tangles. No issues with them escaping if you have 5 or fewer and give them at least one toy. I like my Rock Tangles, they're really pretty and really easy to feed.
Fishkeeper
Rancher

Return to General Discussion