"chimes" in the desert?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

"chimes" in the desert?

Postby bleep13 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 am

Has anyone else noticed the chimes somewhere in the desert area? I go into a section, and these weird chimes sound. I don't see anything that would indicate what's happening. (going with the Tarr sounds, the lucky slime sounds, etc.) Anyone with a clue?
bleep13
Plort

Re: "chimes" in the desert?

Postby GravityCat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am

Considering the desert has giant pillars of glass and glass throughout the desert (Mosaic slimes, chunks of glass along the floor, glints) it would be safe to assume that the chimes are meant to indicate that there is enough glass in the air to produce a sound.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby bleep13 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Well done, you must be a politician. I'm a newbie, so I was wonderin'. By the way, I doubt that "glass in the air" would produce sound so much as light. But then the light would be transmogrified to sound, so yeah, right.
bleep13
Plort

Postby GravityCat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 am

You do realise I wasn't trying to be rude, right? I was compiling evidence for my theory so it would make sense to whoever reads it. Calm down.

The reason I came to that conclusion is because it's a well-known fact that glass produces a high pitch sound when lightly struck, which is why wind chimes are often made of glass. I realise glass does refract light which doesn't actually happen much in the GD, but that's the best explanation I can think of; glass. Lots and lots of glass.
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby GoldenLucky99 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:42 am

Usually, when I hear them, I think they're mosaic slimes creating glints, because I hear the chimes even in the docks, where I keep my mosaics.
GoldenLucky99
Treefox

Postby bleep13 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I wasn't either. I was being sarcastic. I don't rant, or even GET excited. I just observe. A simple "I have no idea" would be better. But then, again, after reading some of these posts...well, education is definitely warranted. Good job, so far.
bleep13
Plort

Postby GravityCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 am

GoldenLucky99 wrote:Usually, when I hear them, I think they're mosaic slimes creating glints, because I hear the chimes even in the docks, where I keep my mosaics.

I knew firestorm glints produce the sound, but I wasn't aware Mosaic glints did because my Mosaic Crystals never seemed to make the noise. Unless I just never noticed. Mosaics are next on my list for observation anyway.

But if they do, then I may test the Desert anyway on a new save where the desert doesn't have oases restored, because no oases = no mosaic slimes. I'm wondering if it produces the sound as part of its ambience.

Edit: It didn't appear to in the short time I was there. Heard plenty when firestorms happened though.

bleep13 wrote:I wasn't either. I was being sarcastic. I don't rant, or even GET excited. I just observe. A simple "I have no idea" would be better. But then, again, after reading some of these posts...well, education is definitely warranted. Good job, so far.

What would saying "I have no idea" achieve?
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby bleep13 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:42 pm

honesty .
bleep13
Plort

Postby Purplecharmanderz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm

bleep13 wrote:honesty .

His statement was still honest either way, though gave more information which gave a more detailed and accurate answer than idk
Same username as I have on discord. I do no damage challenges if you have ideas for those feel free to share
Purplecharmanderz
Keeper

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 am

TIME FOR PAINFUL BUMP TO RANT ABOUT SOMETHING!
Woo, I haven't done this in "ages"!
*ahem*

(Posts edited for readers' convenience)
GravityCat wrote:
bleep13 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the chimes somewhere in the desert area? I go into a section, and these weird chimes sound. I don't see anything that would indicate what's happening. (going with the Tarr sounds, the lucky slime sounds, etc.) Anyone with a clue?
Considering the desert has giant pillars of glass and glass throughout the desert (Mosaic slimes, chunks of glass along the floor, glints) it would be safe to assume that the chimes are meant to indicate that there is enough glass in the air to produce a sound.

GravityCat has just answered your question with a theory backed with evidence. There is no negative tone to his writing - unless you purposefully twist his wording - and I quite agree with his proposition; glass of such size and quantity as of that in the Glass Desert would be incredibly resonant, and, judging by their shape and height, would bend sound to quite high pitches.

bleep13 wrote:Well done, you must be a politician. I'm a newbie, so I was wonderin'. By the way, I doubt that "glass in the air" would produce sound so much as light. But then the light would be transmogrified to sound, so yeah, right.

At no point did GravityCat state anything about your new-ness. He did not make assumptions. He did not at any point attempt to undermine you in any way.
Glass does not produce light, it refracts, reflects and absorbs it, just like any substance. In the same way, it reflects and "captures" sound, increasing its frequency as it releases it.

GravityCat wrote:...that's the best explanation I can think of; glass. Lots and lots of glass.

GravityCat now acknowledges that his theory is not guaranteed to work, but he is working with the information he has. He is completely in the right so far.

bleep13 wrote:I wasn't either. I was being sarcastic. I don't rant, or even GET excited. I just observe. A simple "I have no idea" would be better. But then, again, after reading some of these posts...well, education is definitely warranted. Good job, so far.

Sarcasm? There was nothing to indicate that in your post at all! And even if there was, what would warrant sarcasm in the first place? It's not particularly friendly to use sarcasm before developing at least moderate relations with others. You clearly do rant or GET excited, as you are trying to be offended at nothing!
If you wanted "I have no idea", then why bother posting this? You seem already to know that there is no simple answer. Anyways, GravityCat DID have an idea, which he subsequently posted to answer your question.
"Education is definitely warranted".
"Education..
is definitely warranted".
How disrespectful are you? I direct you to the TOS.
Nick wrote:Contrary to popular belief, this is not a public board. We are all guests here.

Would you say this to a fellow guest at a household, after they posed a theory or idea to you?
Your etiquette is genuinely horrendous.

bleep13 wrote:
GravityCat wrote:What would saying "I have no idea" achieve?
honesty .
Wiktionary wrote:Honesty: The act, quality or condition of being honest.

Also Wiktionary wrote:Honest: (of a statement) True, especially as far as is known by the person making the statement; fair; unbiased.

There was literally no point in which GravityCat stated anything which was untrue, unfair, or biased. In fact, his answer to your question included literally no statements. It was entirely composed of propositions.
If you think that "honesty" is an excuse to silence others, you clearly have no respect for your language.

Overall, I'm standing with GravityCat for this one. Bleep13, your attacks where unnecessary and reasonless. GravityCat was describing a theory, which he has every right to do.
Thanks for reading.
notice me Gravity-senpai
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby GravityCat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:notice me Gravity-senpai

Thank you, I appreciate that.

*notices*
The1AndOnlyMike

GravityCat
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:20 pm

GravityCat wrote:
TheGreciansHousehold wrote:notice me Gravity-senpai

Thank you, I appreciate that.

*notices*

hhhaaaahhhh
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Return to General Discussion