Chickens need a change

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Chickens need a change

Postby Monkeychow01 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 am

Morning! Thanks again for all the hard work on this game. Ornaments got me addicted again, great add.

So.....chickens. Have you guys figured out how to fix them yet?

1) They're not viable to breed. I read somewhere 12 was the magic number. Didn't work. I started going down in chickens. Checked back every day. I'm at 8. Still won't breed. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency with Breeding.

2) Brings me to point #2. Since I can't breed them well or fast like any other food, then why breed them at all? This makes trying to ranch some largos that only eat chickens worthless. There's no point to it if you can't consistently feed them. It's more efficient to make a largo with a fruit that yields high crops. (FYI, this goes for some of your other fruit like Odd Onions...but let's leave this thread about the chickens....1 vs 4 different kinds!)

Are there any plans to make this better?
Monkeychow01
Chickadoo

Re: Chickens need a change

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm

First of all, chickens should breed as long as there's a roostro and a hen in the coop. I usually keep 2 roostros and 2 of each hen type.

Secondly, this is purposeful; meat eating slimes are hard to sustain. This encourages players to form largoes between meat and fruit/veggie eating slimes.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Hina8012 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:13 pm

I had that problem and my fix was that id have 1 coop with one of each hen and roostro in the overgrowth and the rest plots in there as resources and everytime if went out to get a chick and other hen hen and roostro id collect them and place them randomly in the overgrowth and they will start to populate i get to the point that i collect all the different hen hens and keep a minimum of 5 of each running around and 1 of each in the coop and every 2-3 game days i collect them usually but i have made all my meat eaters crossed with veggie eaters so it makes it easier if i dont have hens but also i do collect a type of hen hen in a solo and take about 50 into the wilds to which makes life easy
Hina8012
Chickadoo

Postby Monkeychow01 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Oh believe me, I get it. It's supposed to be "harder to sustain", but it shouldn't be to the point that there is literally no point to ever using them or breeding them. Why would you ever go meat only largo? When to your point, you mix them with a veggie one, and only give them veggies. It gives you a reason to never use them, because they're never viable. So in the end, if you decide to go with them? You're only making the game harder on yourself, with no apparent benefit.

And trust me, I know how coops work. I've tried every combination of them, 1 rooster to 3 hens, 3 roosters to 5 hens, etc. Nothing turns out being actually viable.

But honestly shouldn't we have a reason to make them viable? Something that either makes it worth trying to deal with the slow rate of spawn of chickens, or make it worth you having double meat largos? Because at the moment, there's honestly no incentive to do it.
Monkeychow01
Chickadoo

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 am

You seem to be having more personal problems with your coops. With 2:6, I usually get around 4 hens a day.
While veggie/fruit slimes are easier corralled, it's the other way completely in free range in the Overgrowth. Here, hens are plentiful.
I agree that meat is currently a problematic resource, but I don't think it should be changed.

Hina8012 wrote:I had that problem and my fix was that id have 1 coop with one of each hen and roostro in the overgrowth and the rest plots in there as resources and everytime if went out to get a chick and other hen hen and roostro id collect them and place them randomly in the overgrowth and they will start to populate i get to the point that i collect all the different hen hens and keep a minimum of 5 of each running around and 1 of each in the coop and every 2-3 game days i collect them usually but i have made all my meat eaters crossed with veggie eaters so it makes it easier if i dont have hens but also i do collect a type of hen hen in a solo and take about 50 into the wilds to which makes life easy

Henhens naturally spawn in the Overgrowth, which is probably what you're experiencing. Try a higher ratio of roostros to hens, such as 2:4.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby rabbitslime » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:04 am

Whenever I raise hen hens or their variants, I always have 9 and 2 roostros. If a mature hen hen lays 6 eggs before aging, then 54 eggs would theoretically pop out in the coral. I'd just dispense the roostros over time, like having 4 more as back up should either age. I can't seem to do the same process to painted hens.
rabbitslime
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 am

rabbitslime wrote:Whenever I raise hen hens or their variants, I always have 9 and 2 roostros. If a mature hen hen lays 6 eggs before aging, then 54 eggs would theoretically pop out in the coral. I'd just dispense the roostros over time, like having 4 more as back up should either age. I can't seem to do the same process to painted hens.

Yeah, apparently they breed slower. I recommend keeping them with other hen types to compensate.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby GravityCat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 am

For a full meat diet on my Tabby Sabers (which exist mostly for testing) it takes 3 coops of Hens and Roostros to rival one garden if you were to have a largo on a veggie or fruit-based diet.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Hatch » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm

I collected 6 hens of each type. I took them to the cave and let them free roam in there. I threw in 10 Rooster's and left for the majority of the game. When I came back the entire floor of the place was flooded. Hundreds. Just free roam them. Or take advantage of the spawning of them in Overgrowth.
Sure, they don't have a reason to exist really as you just end up making Largos with veggie/fruit slimes anyways, but chickens are usable.
12 year computer technician who is always glad to help ;)
Hatch
Rancher

Postby planejanez » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Takes to long to breed chickens. You won't get anywhere near the amount of plorts you will get with a cross-bred Largo that eats fruit or veggies. Granted it can be interesting and fun to a certain extent to breed chickens but I don't have any Largos on my ranch that I feed meat to for the reason I mentioned above.
planejanez
Plort

Postby GravityCat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Hatch wrote:I collected 6 hens of each type. I took them to the cave and let them free roam in there. I threw in 10 Rooster's and left for the majority of the game. When I came back the entire floor of the place was flooded. Hundreds. Just free roam them. Or take advantage of the spawning of them in Overgrowth.
Sure, they don't have a reason to exist really as you just end up making Largos with veggie/fruit slimes anyways, but chickens are usable.

Although freeroaming allows you to not worry about picking out hens, the issue with freeroaming is it takes even longer because you don't get the advantage of coop upgrades, and too many chickens can cause framerate drops. Not to mention they also clutter the place. On a fast-ish run, by the time you get the chickens needed to burst meat-eating Gordos, you've burst all the other gordos because fruit and veggie crops grow twice, if not three times a day in decent amounts, which is multiplied by having more Gardens.

So freeroaming is not really a viable solution.

There is also the Overgrowth, but from personal experience it only spawns so many. 5 pop out at once and collecting them all spawns more, up until a certain point.
Slime Rancher Wiki profile:
The1AndOnlyMike

Slime Rancher has a Community Discord!
GravityCat
Rancher

Postby Monkeychow01 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:37 am

Agreed on the overgrowth, but you can't rely on that free range style. I've got 2 corals in there with Tangle/Quantum Largos, so that they can reach out and grab some chickens if I don't have enough lemons for them. Used to have them free roam, and without Lemons? Always angry and bouncing around.

But I think that's the common theme I'm seeing in this thread. Sure you can use chickens, and play around with them, just to try to feed some of your slimes. But it's only to screw around. There's no efficient gameplay reason to build them, which makes them a novelty. It's sad though, because I'd love to switch out some of my largos to the cooler meat only ones...but will never be able to feed them :(

.....hence - Chickens need a change.
Monkeychow01
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion