How to fix the unstable ecosystem!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

How to fix the unstable ecosystem!

Postby supermassimo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 pm

If you are a slime rancher player, you should have noticed that the wild ecosystem is pretty unstable. If you stay for too long, Everything is tarr, it is hard to walk with the exaggerated amounts of slimes that spawn. And if you are like me, it's very annoying to not being able to stay in the wilderness without seeing some tarr holocausts.

This, can be easily fixed by reducing the ammount of slimes that spawn. This would also open a door for new interesting mechanics, like searching for new types of slimes instead of bumping with crouds of them each time you want to go out to get a chicken.
Also, it would make slimes more valuable, and make people travel more to gather new species!

These are only some reasons for me to think that there are too many slimes in the wilderness.
supermassimo
Plort

Re: How to fix the unstable ecosystem!

Postby ChosenPredator » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 pm

ive been pitching this for awhile but it'd be nice to have intelligent slimes that migrate into different areas if over hunted or threatened, slimes right now don't to seem to have a natural enemy in their ecosystem, so im curious if there will be other forms of life on the planet.

besides chickens/turkeys
ChosenPredator
Rancher

Postby FatalPhantomAce » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 pm

I agree with this statement, but with the current version and the entire Pre-alpha/Early Access state; being able to much more easily access slimes and flush out problems and bugs seems like a priority over this at this time.
FatalPhantomAce
Plort

Postby ImmortalHuntsman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Right now it's okay since people will need to test the slimes' behavior and everything, but once everything is getting close to being ready I feel like there should only be two kinds of slimes in any given area to keep things from becoming too chaotic:

Dry Reef - Pink and Rock
Moss Blanket - Tabby and Honey
Indigo Quarry - Boom and Rad

Phosphor Slimes that come out at night in all zones will be the element that sends an otherwise fragile ecosystem into Tarrmageddon (that one's free) by adding in that third plort to tip the scales towards chaos; which makes sense because the letters say that night is supposed to be the worst time to be outside. Puddle Slimes can be littered wherever there's water since they don't seem to add any impact to the environment.

Also, do the environments reset after a while? It seems like even sleeping till morning doesn't change anything. If it doesn't then I think it should clean out everything - the leftover plorts, food, and all the slimes - outside the ranch.
ImmortalHuntsman
Plort

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:45 am

ImmortalHuntsman wrote:Right now it's okay since people will need to test the slimes' behavior and everything, but once everything is getting close to being ready I feel like there should only be two kinds of slimes in any given area to keep things from becoming too chaotic:

Dry Reef - Pink and Rock
Moss Blanket - Tabby and Honey
Indigo Quarry - Boom and Rad

Strictly limiting entire areas to just two kinds of slimes completely takes away a lot of crucial elements, mainly just how much of a dreadful presence the Tarr is. Besides, Pink Slimes' versatile adaptability is what makes them commonplace everywhere. You go and venture out in the wild to wrangle with untamed beasts, therefore you tread into their territory. No sense in taking away that challenge.

Also, do the environments reset after a while? It seems like even sleeping till morning doesn't change anything. If it doesn't then I think it should clean out everything - the leftover plorts, food, and all the slimes - outside the ranch.

They do not, which strengthens the notion of calling it an ecosystem to begin with. I once left a Hen Hen astray in an area that normally doesn't spawn any for days, only to return and find out that it expanded into a small herd of other Hens thanks to the presence of a nearby Roostro. The same could be done with any slimes and the help of lasting food as well. This is an amazing example of an active ecosystem that occurs even in your absence in-game, the world wouldn't feel as alive and open if it was artificially tinkered just to make things predictably and consistently convenient.

Not to mention that Pink Slimes also serve to clean up ressources other slimes would not consume, so taking that away would actually work against your latter suggestion.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Cherriey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:22 am

It might be interesting to have the creation of a tarr be a 70-80% chance of occurring when a largo eats that third plort. The other option being nothing or a coveted extra largo that gives out a third plort. If the latter happens it will be extremely rare. Of course with one slime producing three plorts in the wilderness it is only a matter of time before tarr takes over and kills it.

Just some thoughts really.
Cherriey
Rancher

Postby t0rchic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:56 am

Cherriey wrote:The other option being nothing or a coveted extra largo

Personally I'm already having trouble fitting a reasonable number of largos in a corral without them constantly smashing the air net. I don't think it would be very worthwhile to have a slime much bigger than that. It might give three plorts but if you can only fit like two or three of them in the same corral there's not much of a point to it existing. Unless of course we get the option to put an air net type thing on the front of the Overgrowth and/or Grotto and can make them run around free range, but that's a discussion for another day. Actually, would they even fit through the door in the Grotto?..
t0rchic
Plort

Postby NekoSlime » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:03 am

supermassimo wrote:like searching for new types of slimes instead of bumping with crouds of them each time you want to go out to get a chicken.

Well friend...that's kind of the point of the game! :P

That's intentional! It's fun and funny to be bombarded with adorable slimes every time you leave the ranch.

As for your point about the tarrs, it's true that they can be annoying, but you only feel that way because defeating them isn't rewarding enough. Their current chances of appearing are okay, but we need an actual reason to fight the outbreaks. Maybe if they gave us Tarr Plorts or just straight-up coins whenever we defeat them. Something to give us an incentive to fight the outbreaks. Then you won't find them as annoying. And if you still don't want to deal with them, you can still run past them. But at least you won't be wasting your time if you DO decide to fight them.
NekoSlime
Rancher

Postby NekoSlime » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:06 am

t0rchic wrote:

Personally I'm already having trouble fitting a reasonable number of largos in a corral without them constantly smashing the air net. I don't think it would be very worthwhile to have a slime much bigger than that. It might give three plorts but if you can only fit like two or three of them in the same corral there's not much of a point to it existing. Unless of course we get the option to put an air net type thing on the front of the Overgrowth and/or Grotto and can make them run around free range, but that's a discussion for another day. Actually, would they even fit through the door in the Grotto?..

What do you mean by "air net type thing on the front"? If you mean like a barrier, you can actually press E on the pedestal that you used to unlock the area, and it will put down the same forcefield that prevented you from going inside in the first place. This will keep any free-ranging slimes inside.

Not that it actually matters anyway because the slime AI's don't really go very far away from where you shoot them :P I have 10 Phosphor Slimes at the very back of the Grotto, and they've never wandered away from the vicinity of the Cuberry tree I planted there for them. Even though I have another one on the other side of the cave.
NekoSlime
Rancher

Postby t0rchic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 am

Cherriey wrote:What do you mean by "air net type thing on the front"? If you mean like a barrier, you can actually press E on the pedestal that you used to unlock the area, and it will put down the same forcefield that prevented you from going inside in the first place

Oh my god I didn't know this, now I can throw down a million rock boom largo slimes inside the overgrowth and just keep them walled in there.
t0rchic
Plort

Postby Coryn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:29 pm

NekoSlime wrote:
t0rchic wrote:

What do you mean by "air net type thing on the front"? If you mean like a barrier, you can actually press E on the pedestal that you used to unlock the area, and it will put down the same forcefield that prevented you from going inside in the first place. This will keep any free-ranging slimes inside.

Not that it actually matters anyway because the slime AI's don't really go very far away from where you shoot them :P I have 10 Phosphor Slimes at the very back of the Grotto, and they've never wandered away from the vicinity of the Cuberry tree I planted there for them. Even though I have another one on the other side of the cave.

That has been Fixed in the last version ... Just saying
Or at least its not Working for me
Coryn
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion