[Suggestion] General ingame mechanics + slimes

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[Suggestion] General ingame mechanics + slimes

Postby PawBean » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 am

In the 3 or so days I've been playing this game, this is what I came up with. Some of these are probably not new while I haven't seen others being brought up just reading though the forums, so if there's anything that was mentioned before, I'm very sorry!

The main attractions of this game (albeit this may vary from person to person) are the experience of exploring an alien planet, collecting new slimes and new food and cultivating them in the ranch! Since the world is obviously still being expanded by the devs, I feel like the two biggest themes for suggestions are slimes + their corresponding food (aka "what can we find?" ) and money sinks (aka "what am I supposed to spend my thousands of newbucks on?")

Starting off with the gameplay aspects:

o Inventory upgrades: considering the fact that more slimes and food items are going to be added, the 4-slot inventory is way too small - so how about making the player sink some of their money into this? since your inventory needs increase with the variety of slimes, an advanced rancher can sink some of their thousands into this! May be increased up to 9 (duh)

o same goes for the silo: since drawing out and depositing lots of items can be nauseatingly slow, why not implement a slot- silo where you can transfer bigger amounts of items with your mouse? Again, the farmer can pay bigger sums for this one since it's not a necessity but more of a comfort thing~
This is what i mean (sorry i got carried away)

o upgradeable pond: How about a water tank for the pond slimes? A corral-like wall that prevents slimes from flying out of the pond while you deposit water directly into it? Or what about a
net that filters out pond plorts like the plort collector? Again- more money to spend, more fun!

o Block items from your vacpack in the game menu: Another possible upgrade for the vacpack, now you can safely collect whatever you want without vac-ing (?) up slimes/whatever else you don't want to block your inventory with. More money could get you a bigger "blocklist"! Yay!

o More unlockable space on the ranch: For now, the space available for keeping slimes, breeding hens and farming is pretty scarce, and the farm will feel even smaller with the addition of new slimes and food, so this one is pretty important imho

About slimes:

o Capture mechanics: Im sure people love how the gold slime can not be captured - so why not expand this feature to other new slimes? There could be slimes that flee you and are uncaptureable or, -keeping the gold slime special- only capureable on the 3rd try? Or slimes that are only captureable after being fed a certain food or even plort! since we only have uncaptureable largos, why not turn it around? Feed a largo a certain type of food so they become a single-type slime or smaller and therefore capureable? the possibilities are endless!

o More hostile slimes: Spikes and the Tarr are just not enough to justify the health maximum of 250, so how about more slimes that attack you, even when in a corral?

o Incompatible slime combinations produce Tarr: Make some combinations, like the pond and boom slime (fire <-> water) produce Tarr, so that the rancher needs to try out combinations first and find workarounds how to keep certain slimes

o slimes that devour their own kind: there could be slimes that can only be held alone in a corral, with a higher plort price that is also very high in fluctuation, making the rancher think twice about whether or not to devote an entire corral to it

Obligatory slime variants suggestions:
(mostly sketches for now, i'll try to update with art soon)

o Leaf Slime: Pretty much everyone and their mother wants this one, so here's my take on it

Flavor Text: "Leaf me alone!"
This shy slime only spawns on the treetops and vanishes as soon as it touches the ground (Therefore, a suitably bushy/leafy extension for a corral would be needed, like the phoshor slimes need the sun shield).
It flees the player and can only be captured on the third try. Moreover, it doesn't do well in dark places.
The base price for its plort could be slightly higher for its difficulty to capture, 40 maybe.

Its plort can be industrially used to fertilize soil, making it essential for feeding a steadily growing population!

o Dragon slime:

"Everything's cooler with dragons"

hostile to the player, can destroy crops by breathing fire, not captureable, since they could spawn more often, their plort base price could be about 85, which would still make it worth it to seek them out~

They drop coal, which is essential for burning processes and generating energy!

o Whale slime:
"Whale you goin?"

Not as much of a slime and more of a gordo that -after being fed ten of each availabe fruit and veggie on the currently available places (dry reef + moss blanket)- may be used as a transportation across the slime sea to go another area full of other slimes!

o Dog slime

Is dog. Good dog.
Base price of dog plort (don't step in it!) is 15. Creates Tarr when fed tabby plort.

So yeah, that's it! Just leaving this wall of text here in case anyone is interested (´ v `=)
PawBean
Chickadoo

Re: [Suggestion] General ingame mechanics + slimes

Postby DeltaStorm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 am

good post
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Re: [Suggestion] General ingame mechanics + slimes

Postby Zach205 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 pm

I just want to pet that dog slime.
Hello :P
Zach205