[Suggestion] Slimepedia nodes akin to the map nodes

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[Suggestion] Slimepedia nodes akin to the map nodes

Postby LastFace » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:50 am

so I got the game off the Xbox Games With Gold and I've put way too many hours in since I've started. I love the sense of discovery and exploration and how the game manages to still be easy and rewarding without very much if any handholding (although I think it would be interesting if letters dropped hints about game mechanics like Gordos or areas you should've unlocked by a certain point)

The nice thing about well balanced discovery is that I barely ever went to look something up, generally content to discover things at my own pace - which isn't how I usually am with games, but the Slimepedia is great at being helpful without 'spoiling' that sense of discovery. That said, there was one part that I kept having to look stuff up - the Lab. I kept buying blueprints for objects I'd want to build, then I'd go look at the ingredients and see a bunch of things I didn't recognize. I had no idea what Strange Diamonds were or where I get them, all I knew was I needed some. I had done so well at not looking things up until then, but I needed them to progress and I had no idea where to go about their acquisition. I looked it up, found out I needed to get drilling, and now I'm doing that.

The Lab ingredients were the first time I had been asked to provide something I couldn't reference in the Slimepedia, and that was sort of an annoying wall to run into. When I can see the item in the Fabricator ingredients, but it shows up in my Slimepedia as ??? - it makes sense, but also seems slightly inconsistent.

My suggestion for this, is Slimepedia nodes in each region, akin to the map nodes that were just introduced
I like how a blind hunt for the map node is now one of the first things you do in a new region, and I think looking for a similar green node for the Slimepedia would be really fun. What you'd get for finding it, would be the Slimepedia entries for the region you're in. So, if I've unlocked an area that I could drill for Strange Diamonds in, the Slimepedia node for that region would fill out that ??? spot in the book, along with other relevant ones.

(Another idea I was toying with would be a well-hidden Slimepedia node in the Lab, one that would contain the Slimepedia entries for all the various ingredients you don't need until you've unlocked the Lab anyway)

So, thoughts, comments, concerns? Apologies if this has been suggested before, I just think it would be a neat addition
LastFace
Plort

Return to General Discussion