[Suggestion] Sticker Book for the Map Screen.

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[Suggestion] Sticker Book for the Map Screen.

Postby MaysonD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:27 pm

I've been playing a fair bit of Hollow Knight, and since it's a Metroidvania it's important to have a map that's easy to understand. In the game, you buy little pins from a vendor that labels where certain things are. I think that in Slime Rancher, this sticker system is right at home. And I think that Monomi Park can do one better.

Once you find the first map node, you get some starmail. It's a cartographer! A new character maybe, or a development for an existing character? Either way, you receive a cute little booklet with a bunch of stickers. You can peel them off and stick them anywhere on the map screen. Why would you do this? You could find a Gordo slime out somewhere out in the wild, and put a slime sticker on the map where you found it. A treasure pod that you can't open yet? Sticker it, come back later! Of course, there's already some markers in the map like portals and extractors, but perhaps they can be changed to stickers too. If people don't feel like having to put down a sticker for every extractor they place, you can tick an option that auto-places things that are labeled already.

The sticker book is a bookmarking system that ranchers can use to save locations in the game. I think it's not only a good idea but it gives it the character that Slime Rancher already has.
MaysonD
Plort

Re: [Suggestion] Sticker Book for the Map Screen.

Postby Naybob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 am

I like it! If it happens then there better be a puddle slime one.
chIKEns?
Naybob
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:30 am

YAAAAAAAAAAS
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby Twerps3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 am

Didn't read it (yet)
but I need it
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby Gargaj » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:18 am

I concur, some sort of waypoint/marker system would be nice - when you run across either a gordo or treasures, you tend to forget where you found them, so either they should appear on the map once you found them (i.e. went close enough to them), or the players should have a chance to mark the spot somehow.
Gargaj
Plort

Postby Jasiek » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Right now I think I still can memorise everything of interest when I walk by it.

But if the game is getting two big zones in the future, than a system as this one is pretty much a must
Jasiek
Plort

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:36 pm

In a pinch, you could place an extractor nearby, but that is pretty wasteful.

I use slime lamps as markers because they are highly visible at night (they glow), and easily stand out. A possibility for cartography markers would be to let you "interact" with slime lamps and have an option for each one, "Show on map? Y/N". A glowing slime of the appropriate color could then appear on the map. This would be limited to engineering points, though.

I do like the sticker book. Even if the stickers are a bit large and clunky, it would work well, and would fit perfectly with the game.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby DSherman408 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:02 pm

I agree it would be a way to identify where you had seen a treasure pod that could not be unlocked until later in the game. Maybe just a colored pin dot of that pod color.
Playing on Xbox One with the new release and I'm older than most or all of the players here.
DSherman408
Plort

Return to General Discussion