Now that 1.0 is here, I figure it's a good time to suggest.

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Now that 1.0 is here, I figure it's a good time to suggest.

Postby DarkPulse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 am

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you guys on making it to 1.0 and having a pretty damn successful (and good!) game. Something about it keeps me picking it back up and playing it...

That said, it's also given me a fair bit of time (currently about 50 hours) during which I've experienced some things that would be real quality-of-life changes, in my opinion. And no, I'm not talking about stuff that lets you just automate everything and turns the game mindless - I'm talking stuff that's a little more obscure. I've been a part of closed beta tests for some games before, and while this is hardly closed, it's helped hone me to give good feedback - so I hope you like detailed answers and rationales.

So without much further ado, I present a bunch of suggestions that have probably already been presented 5000 times already. (But I hope not.)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1) Fire Slimes are frustrating to maintain, due to easily getting out, lack of reliable ash fill indicators, and very fast ash consumption.
  • If you've got a trough that's full of ash, their basic movement can make them waltz right out of it - I've lost one due to it wandering out of the trough and me failing to notice it was missing.
  • If you've got more than five or so in there, it's also incredibly hard to keep them "fed." I'm currently farming nine of them (it was ten, but as I just said...), and I find myself having to constantly check their area at least twice per day, because if the ash totally runs out, it's catastrophe - you lose them all in one shot, for no reason other than you didn't give them enough ash, and they tore through it like every day is "Ash-Eating Contest Day." The current champion is Sizzly "4Rizzly" S. Lime, who sucked up 25 kilos in a day. No wonder Hobson left.
  • Combine this with that you have to manually refill the trough AND that you have to "eyeball" the level of the ash, and it quickly becomes a frustrating experience in a way that is more "pure frustration" than "fun frustration" (which is the stuff like getting burnt). While realistic, it also means that some people who are less observant may fail to notice their ash is low - and come back to a trough devoid of plorts and slimes when they go and get lost elsewhere for awhile.
  • The trough also has a bug in that if you refill it with Ash while plorts are down there, the plorts won't get "bumped up" to the new level like the Fire Slimes will.
  • The one lifesaver is that when the trough does empty out of ash (mostly) that fire slimes last a good long while - though the irony is that as soon as you put more ash in, they'll immediately crap out a plort, meaning if you have a good amount (like I do), dump ash, and split, they'll actually re-eat about half the ash you just put in.
  • It kind of turns Fire Slimes into the slimes that must be "babied" most of all, and you can't do a thing about it except to watch them, and watch them, and watch them - or don't raise them at all, which is probably easier for most people.
Solutions:
  • Rather than make it so that they don't "disappear" on different ground (as that'd be cheap and make them riskless essentially), use higher trough walls as an upgrade to keep them from accidentally getting out if the trough is nearly full of ash. This way it's also an extra money sink for the player - and realistically speaking, by the time you even want to buy an incinerator, the amount the upgrade costs would be newpennies. It also increases the amount of ash you could fit in there, reducing the amount of times you have to constantly refill it.
  • Ease up on how much ash you eat, son. You're that inefficient that it takes one whole level out of a ten-level trough to produce one plort? Even the Water Slimes aren't that bad, AND they have more water than you can have ash!
  • "Auto-burner" that will take items like an autofeeder would, but would turn them into ash, which then gets deposited at regular intervals to keep the ashes filled.
  • Better indicator of how full of ash the trough is. (Some kind of monitor like the pens have, except it measures ash level - 4/8 "bars" worth for visibility, maybe? Maybe a percentage indicator?)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2) Ponds are atrociously bad at telling you how much water they have.
  • These are even worse than the Incinerator troughs. You add water to the pond, and have to angle the camera very carefully so that the visual distortion effect gives does not block so much of your view that you can't see the water level going up out of the corners of your screen - especially since the increase is so minute that it takes careful viewing to tell the level of the pond in the first place!
Solution:
  • Same as the Incinerator trough, add an indicator telling you how full the pond is of water. No need to automate this; players generally have water on them all of the time at any rate. (Unless you're just starting out, in which case, why are you even buying a pond in the first place...)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

3) Boom Slimes all but guarantee that any plorts in their vicinity get everywhere, along with themselves.
  • I keep my Boom Rad Largos in the Grotto, as far away as I can and basically kitty-corner from some Phosphor Crystal Largos. They still regularly blast plorts that far away. And yes, I've done everything I can to keep them happy - Music Box, High Walls, Air Net, Plort Collector, even having the Auto-feeder feed them fairly often. Despite that, every 2-3 times I go into the Grotto, I find plorts everywhere - occasionally with Oca Oca for some extra zest. I still have no idea if these plorts can blast into the Phosphor Crystal Largos' pen, but I'm just waiting for the time that blasts one with just the right direction, at just the right vicinity, and I come back to a Grotto with a dozen pissed-off and very hungry Ex-Phosphor Crystal Largo Tarr. (Of course, if this isn't possible, then that'd be wonderful to know.) And yes, I realize this is the Boom Slime's main downside. The mitigation is still basically more of a pain than anything; whether or not that's "fun frustration" or not is up for debate.
Solutions:
  • Consider changing the Plort Collector - when it detects plorts, it activates, and it keeps on activating until they're all sucked up. If that's too cheap, then maybe it runs every <x> seconds whenever it detects a plort in the pen. Right now it seems to be timed intervals regardless of if plorts are around or not. If it collected more regularly and efficiently, that'd be less of a chance of plorts going everywhere.
  • Some kind of "Blastproof Net" option - essentially, if something bounces off the net as a result of the explosion, it's not counted against the net's "hits" limit. (A slime manually hitting it through jumping or such still counts.) This way, it doesn't completely neuter the drawbacks of Boom Slimes (the explosions still hurt you), though if a bunch of them go off, an Air Net gets quickly vaporized, which is how most of the plorts get scattered - stuff keeps hitting net, net disappears, more explosions, PLORTS FOR EVERYONE! And fun for no one as Beatrix plays 52 Plort Pickup, because the damn collector didn't do its one job of collecting things.
  • In the vein of the above, simply make it so plorts/food don't get affected by explosions. Probably neuters the point though, again like the suggestion above - and it'd be very weird considering the physics of everything else.
  • More "radical" idea: Happy Boom Slimes don't give a huge explosion, but a more cute "happy" one - like it were a firework or something (pretty to look at, but harmless). This is already what the Dervish Slime does - happy = cute little spinning, angry/hungry = TORNADO OF DEATH THAT FLINGS STUFF EVERYWHERE, so why not reapply that logic here?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

4) Some crops are very non-intuitive when they've reached "end-of-life" and need to be replanted.
  • I've seen cases where it told me that a Pogofruit was growing... even though no tree was there. A tree will always be there if you are going to create a batch of Pogofruit, so clearly you're not going to be growing any more Pogofruit, are you...?
  • While smart ranchers might catch stuff like this (or getting anything less than a full yield on any sort of garden that has Nutrient Soil and Sprinklers) and know it's time to rip the crop out and plant a new one, this is still something that can catch even the most diligent rancher off-guard from time to time - often at the worst possible time. Like when your corral is full of very hungry and very angry slimes.
Solutions:
  • Potentially consider restoring the old timers underneath the "Growing" icon, like it used to be back before 0.3.5. This way, ranchers have a chance to see the planting is just about done, and it's time for a new one - if we need to know what we're growing, we can just look at it. The monitor currently is literally telling us nothing useful!
  • Alternatively (and possibly a better solution all-around), since all plants have the same amount of "cycles" (4-5 I believe) before exhaustion, indicate how many more times it will bear produce. This is more intuitive than the growing timer, and obviously once you see 0, you're going to rip it out and put fresh produce in.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

5) Phase Lemons are pure hit-and-miss (pun not intended); you must baby this plant like your life depends on it if you want a return on it at all.
  • I get that they're supposed to be different from literally every other fruit. Thing is... if you don't notice them in time and they drop to the ground, you get NOTHING. Out exploring? Kiss that crop goodbye. Oh, and probably your Fire Slimes too, because if you were gone this long, they're probably just as dead. (See Point #1.)
  • There's probably a sizable amount of players who avoid them because to raise them, you need to de facto use TWO gardens - since there's 20 Phase Lemons in a full crop, your only choice to not screw yourself out of getting a full crop is to grow a Pogofruit tree; everything else (except for Odd Onions) is 15 at max. Finding Pogofruit is no problem since it's right outside your ranch (or in it if you got the Overgrowth expansion), but needing to be the only thing for which you need to grow two plots worth of stuff for, and you've got no choice? Not cool.
  • Between this and the difficulty in keeping Quantum Slimes around and happy considering they'll wander off out of their corral as soon as they get hungry, why would you even want to bother with raising either of them? Plort value means nothing when there's eventually other, easier or more rewarding slimes that can be raised and have their food grown with far less fuss.
Solutions:
  • A Slime Science gadget that can directly harvest and "convert" Phase Lemons right off the tree - the handy-dandy Reality-Linking Light Metaphysical Nebulizer (AKA The RL-LMN). This way it's a considerable sink of both Newbucks (to get the lab) and a Slime Science sink (to get whatever's needed to make it). If the player's going to go that far for it, I think they deserve to be able to just pull Phase Lemons off the tree - you've only got so many plots on your ranch, and without being able to reduce it to the same footprint as the others in some way (i.e; one), most people will simply never grow them.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

6) Odd Onions are way too unpredictable to give a crap about.
  • It's literally a crapshoot. While you can FIND them easily enough, planting them is a roll of the dice in the worst possible way. It is literally possible to plant one and not get a single one in a given crop. To quote a certain other fine game, "Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded."
  • While, admittedly, the chances of it doing this to you 4-5 times in a row are exceedingly slim, you are still basically getting 40+ carrots to maybe 6-10 Odd Onions. And then you have a slime who has this as its favorite food? Yeahhhhh... lemme get that one crossbred with something else with a favorite food that's MUCH more easy to obtain, immediately.
  • My Crystals were immediately largoed because of how incredibly backwards this was - when they're pure RNG to get, and you have zero way of increasing the odds of them showing up whatsoever, why have Odd Onions on your ranch at all?
Solutions:
  • Guarantee at least a percentage of the crop. Odd Onions are the only thing besides Pogofruit that can grow 20 at a time (although you'll never get more than 10 Odd Onions per crop - and I've never gotten that many out of it, highest I think was maybe 6), so make it, say, a 25% chance, as opposed to the current one's pure RNG. This way they're at least somewhat worth farming - a full yield gives you 15 Carrots and 5 Odd Onions.
  • Increase the odds (or even guarantee them) but reduce the yield instead. You can guarantee Odd Onions, but maybe you only get, say, seven per harvest. That's still better than the 0-3 you usually get, even if it's not the 15 of every other fruit when you got a Nutrient Soil/Sprinkler garden.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

7) There's honestly almost no point (or reward) for the Range Exchange.
  • The number of times I've used this? Literally once or twice back in the early access days, and then never again. Every time I looked over there, there was simply nothing that was worthwhile to me... some fruits I already had, some livestock I didn't need. Not even Mochi Miles' sass and offer for lemonade persuaded me. Simply put, if they ain't offering something I'd want or need... why bother?
  • I checked what was being offered at the time of making this post - Ogden needs 3 Cuberries, 4 Mint Mangos, and 3 Prickle Pears, and in exchange, I get... 4 Phosphor plorts and 1 Quantum plort, for a grand total of (28x4)+47 = 159 Newbucks worth of plorts. He thinks that's a good deal, but there's one little problem: If I've got a steady amount of Prickle Pears, I've almost certainly got Dervish Slimes, and thus, Dervish plorts, which currently go for 101 Newbucks. EACH.
  • I can literally make more just by doing regular farming, because Ogden is a cheapskate or thinks I'm an idiot - he wants my three Prickle Pears when those same three Prickle Pears can get me a whopping 606 Newbucks worth of plorts just by feeding my Dervish Slimes those same three Prickle Pears, and make nearly four times the money as his so-called "deal" would get me - and that's not even counting the Cuberries or Mint Mangos!
Solutions:
  • Increase the incentive to trade. Right now you sometimes get some rare Slime Science resources, but usually not the good stuff - or enough to make the cost investment worth it. When you're hurting for the stuff that's hard to get, like those, Phase Lemons, Odd Onions, Silver Parsnips, Prickle Pears... those are much more worthy to trade for.
  • While it's nonsensical to make every NPC an idiot who always gives something worth more to the player than themselves, the trade should at least be of relatively equal value - if I can gain (28*6) + (26*8) + (101*6) = 982 Newbucks worth of plorts just by feeding my slimes their favorite foods that Ogden is requesting in exchange for the 159 Newbucks worth of reward he's offering, Ogden can, and will, kiss my slimy brown butt. If he can't give me something in the 800-1200 Newbucks worth range, there is literally zero reason to even consider the offer unless it's something I don't have, or something I'm chronically short on.
  • Add some Newbucks as well to the reward. Thanks to the 7Zee Rewards Club, you're never, ever short up for money.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

And while that ends my complaints for now, knowing what's coming ahead, I'd like to give a few thoughts on those as well.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

8) Some sort of Slime Science gadget that lets us "find" those Gordos.
  • No, not "Here's the Gordo's location on the map." You don't like that sort of stuff, and admittedly, it would take some of the fun out of exploring. What I'm thinking is more of a proximity sensor. I can picture a cute little "Slime Sensor" which begins wriggling more and more intensely (and cutely) the closer you get to a Gordo, until it's practically trying to bounce out of Beatrix's hand when you can visually confirm it. This removes some of the frustration out of having to hunt and keep a mental list of every Gordo you've popped - and it's a quick way to entice the player to explore. Frankly speaking, if the player can unlock Slime Science but still can't find the Gordos they NEED to defeat to progress further and unlock new areas, playing hide-and-seek with the Gordos (especially since not all Gordos even give a Slime Key) quickly goes from fun little thing to reward observant players to "Screw this, I'm looking up a FAQ." This gives them a way to get some help in-game without being led by the nose.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

9) Now that we will have a map... a compass? Please?
  • I see a lot of people using very obtuse and frequently confusing directions for how to get to a certain region, often using visual landmarks to go from place to place. Thing is, "Go through this tunnel, then around the second bend, then up the wood ramp, then jetpack across to EXACTLY the third island, into the fourth cave you pass by, and there you'll find Jimmy Hoffa" is just the definition of frustration. At least with a compass, we can give better directions. And for bonus cuteness, you could even combine that with the Slime Sensor, because then you've got both immediate functionality (in the compass) and that occasional "Something important's nearby!" functionality of sensing the Gordo.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10) Last but not least... while we're on the map... let's have some point-of-interest markers the player can place.
  • This would actually solve the issue of the player having to memorize all sorts of locations to get specific items (or to tag Gordos). Let them plop down an icon (of a slime, of a fruit, etc.) at their own leisure, so that if they find something important, but need to go somewhere, they can head to it later. Ideally a little text label or a small description box would be quite nice too.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Apologies for the long wall of text, but I hope this was a good read! I love what you guys have done with this game, I love seeing it grow, and I love seeing all the new things getting added to and coming up.

But I also see some of the finicky, or even downright ugly, things that makes some things simply better than others. Why raise Fire Slimes when they need that much babying? Why grow Odd Onions or Phase Lemons, and thereby necessitate largoing or ignoring two kinds of slimes entirely? Why put up with a slime that can Tarr your penned slimes immediately if they're Largos simply by doing its usual drawback? The list goes on and on.

Again, I apologize if some of these have already been suggested by others. But hopefully in this long ramble of a post, someone, somewhere, found something useful and something worth debating if it'd be good for the game or not.

Thank you very much for your time! I've gotta get back to the ranch now. Those bins are probably all filled up with plorts... and I don't have the 7Zee ranks to get the upgrade yet. (God, that's going to take awhile... but it'll get easier once the Refinery all full of plorts!)
The ultimate crossover would be Slime Rancher x Puyo Puyo...
DarkPulse
Plort

Re: Now that 1.0 is here, I figure it's a good time to sugge

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 am

A few quick comments:

-Fire Slimes-
There is a... "quirk" of physics that if something bounces while the thing beneath it moves up, you get a super bounce. I once (versions back) returned a water slime to a pond onto another that was bobbing up, and the slime bounced so high it literally vanished into the horizon. The bounce+bounce thing is better now, but, if you fill the trough and the slime jumps within the next few seconds, it will change from a bounce to a leap out of the trough. I've found that when filling the trough it is best to vacuum everything out, fill, and return the slimes.

(Quick aside, you can use the lines on the walls to indicate "full".)

I've also stopped holding more than four. First, because of the trough emptying and the plorts vanishing, like you said. Second, they seem to get unhappy. With 5+ slimes in version 0.6, my fire slimes would tend to jump west and crawl away from the incinerator. With version 1.0, the slimes try to flee east. The problem is, it seems to have gotten worse in 1.0, and once they try to flee east to escape crowding, they *all* go. The behavior does not reset when the number reduces to four (like water slime embarrassment), but they stay in a "must flee" state. My trough is empty because three fled east in a row. In frustration, I shot them all into the slime sea to just get new ones. The original crowding was only five slimes.

I am also hoping a toy will help, but slightly higher borders would also be good.

-Pond Level-
Don't use ponds for your water tank. Use the lagoon a the dock. Sorry, but that's my best advice, and what I do.

-Boom Slimes-
Hunters used to burst like this, and occasionally escape. Crystal largos also sometimes do this (and seem to be my escape artists). Reducing your number of boom slimes may help, but some slimes must be quarantined. (While everyone thought dervishes would be the bad ones, I've never had issues with them. Crystal and boom largos are the messy eaters.)

-Crop end of life-
There is a new enhancement that crops don't die when near ripening. That helps.

-Odd Onions-
I got the impression that they were a symbiotic or parasite species. I do agree that a little higher yield would be good, though.

-Exchange-
This is supposed to be getting upgrades in v1.1 through 1.3.

-Markers-
Lava lamps are how I "mapped" the back half of the Glass Desert. They are great. Other deco that glows works just as well, but the lava lamps are short and bright (and adorable).
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby SnailsAttack » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 am

I agree with all of these ideas except the gordo one. I've never had a problem with finding them because I usually spend a ton of time exploring.

Anyways, you should add something about how gold plorts are stupidly undervalued. The damn things are worth about a dozen rad plorts.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it's very well thought out! I can't get into details, but some of the issues you outlined will not be issues in future updates.
Nick
Developer

Postby DarkPulse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm

akkamaddi wrote:(Quick aside, you can use the lines on the walls to indicate "full".)
This is precisely what I do, yeah. I've got one wall that is pretty reliable as an ash level indicator, and I use that to gauge the limits.

I still think that they should add some kind of level indicator, since like I said, you have to be observant to really notice this.

akkamaddi wrote:I've also stopped holding more than four. First, because of the trough emptying and the plorts vanishing, like you said. Second, they seem to get unhappy. With 5+ slimes in version 0.6, my fire slimes would tend to jump west and crawl away from the incinerator. With version 1.0, the slimes try to flee east. The problem is, it seems to have gotten worse in 1.0, and once they try to flee east to escape crowding, they *all* go. The behavior does not reset when the number reduces to four (like water slime embarrassment), but they stay in a "must flee" state. My trough is empty because three fled east in a row. In frustration, I shot them all into the slime sea to just get new ones. The original crowding was only five slimes.
Admittedly, I've never had this problem - aside from the one escapee who I failed to notice, my slimes have been pretty good with staying in... probably because once the ash dips a level or two, they really can't get out if they're not stacked.

What I usually do with my incinerator: Suck up Fire Slimes + Plorts, refill ash, shoot the nine Fire Slimes carefully against the incinerator so none overlap/are stacked, go collect my water plorts (ponds are in the same area), deposit plorts in nearby Refinery Link, go back to the Fire Slimes since if the trough was empty they've eaten more of the ash and crapped out new plorts, suck up Fire Slimes + plorts, refill ash, return Fire Slimes, leave. That's good for about twelve hours or so worth of ingame time.

akkamaddi wrote:Don't use ponds for your water tank. Use the lagoon a the dock. Sorry, but that's my best advice, and what I do.
Yeah, I use the nearby lagoon to fill my water - I never use the pond itself for that. Thing is, the water slimes are consuming water, because I've got five in a pond nearby (and another five in the lagoon, to try to speed up my water plort production), and while Water Slimes do passively add water, IIRC it's only one water unit per 24 hours ingame - not nearly enough to compensate for the water unit they consume to make a plort, since I often come back to find 10 or so in the pond. So when I'm in the area, I refill the pond. Hence my issue with that it's hard to tell when the pond is filling/is full without careful eyeballing.

akkamaddi wrote:Hunters used to burst like this, and occasionally escape. Crystal largos also sometimes do this (and seem to be my escape artists). Reducing your number of boom slimes may help, but some slimes must be quarantined. (While everyone thought dervishes would be the bad ones, I've never had issues with them. Crystal and boom largos are the messy eaters.)
Never had this issue with my Crystal Phosphor Largos, and my Quantum Hunter Largos (I know, I'm insane) don't escape either ever since I've kept them nice and fed. Of course, since it's way harder to get Roostros in sufficient numbers, I just bit the bullet and am doing Phase Lemon farming instead - thus the frustration with needing effectively two plots plus needing to watch the Phase Lemon tree like a hawk. Ever since I've fed them well and kept them happy, they haven't left their pen once.

The Boom Rad Largos, though, it's just a matter of time until explosions bounce them up enough to hit the ceiling (or bounce whatever's in the pen into the ceiling), killing the Air Net, and usually another one decides it's a good time to explode. End result: A mess, and me wondering if an explosion from a Boom Slime can shoot a plort into another pen (since you can do this manually from the outside with your Vac).

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

akkamaddi wrote:There is a new enhancement that crops don't die when near ripening. That helps.
Yes, and if this is what I think it is - that they'll bear their fruit before dying - this is one of the ways I can tell it's time to plant a new one. Like I said, if the full yield is normally 15 and I get 6, I know it's done and time to get a new one in there - no need to let it die naturally.

I do still think that displaying something more useful where the timers used to be (and where the "Growing" indicator currently is) would be a good idea though. The more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea of it displaying the number of crop yields left instead, since timers were removed due to being confusing (they reflected total plant lifetime, not time to next crop production). Admittedly a timer to next yield along with number of growth cycles left would be more exact and better for efficiency ("Okay, 6 hours until it's ready to harvest... I can go take care of a few things"), but if they feel that'd be too much "telling" then cycles alone is acceptable, as that still gives me a loose indicator (if it's one cycle left and I'm going to be exploring for awhile, just rip it out and plant anew).

akkamaddi wrote:I got the impression that they were a symbiotic or parasite species. I do agree that a little higher yield would be good, though.
Yeah, and I'm fine with that. I like them as a concept; I hate the completely random yield though, and when paired with being Crystal's favorite food, it just means it's more efficient to largo Crystals ASAP with something whose food is easy to get and grow (hence why I largoed mine with Phosphor Slimes, as Cuberries are cake to get and grow reliably). A combo of increasing the minimum yield (or guaranteeing it but reducing maximum yield) will make them actually viable to grow and have Crystal slimes in non-largo form, as without it, you are effectively killing half your total plort production.

akkamaddi wrote:This is supposed to be getting upgrades in v1.1 through 1.3.
Ah, I didn't know this was replacing the exchange. I thought it was more of an added thing - some kind of new warp machine or something. If that's the case, then yes, that will mean the obsolescence of the Range Exchange.

akkamaddi wrote:Lava lamps are how I "mapped" the back half of the Glass Desert. They are great. Other deco that glows works just as well, but the lava lamps are short and bright (and adorable).
Yeah, but I'm talking about more or less just a general "POI" thing. Realistically speaking, while the map is a good step forward, I can't really think of a game that has maps (save for Minecraft) where you can't really mark something on that map. It fits in the vein of exploration that if the player goes and finds a slime gate, they be able to mark it on the map - and then go and hunt for a Gordo they can also mark that will give them a key (or at least lead to another area with another Gordo that they can get a key from). It's basically just a way to ease the memory burden on the player, to make exploration fun without having to resort to all sorts of other stuff (like planting echoes/decorations) just to remember where a specific thing of interest is.

SnailsAttack wrote:Anyways, you should add something about how gold plorts are stupidly undervalued. The damn things are worth about a dozen rad plorts.
Ironically... I haven't gotten a gold plort yet in my "new" game. (I had three in my old game from early access, but once 0.6.0 came out, I abandoned it and started completely anew from scratch, as I couldn't remember what Gordos I'd popped - another good thing to add, now that I think about it, would be a way to build a list of what ones still exist...)

There is also a caveat with this in that if gold plorts are too valuable, they really can throw off the economic balance of the game.

Nick wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it's very well thought out! I can't get into details, but some of the issues you outlined will not be issues in future updates.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read it. I hope some of it was useful. :)
DarkPulse
Plort

Postby Sickeny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Amazing comments, i agree with pretty much everything here, i must admit, i've made posts about it before, but i would LOVE to have, even in VERY VERY late game, the possibility to auto-harvest and collect fruits or vegetables, especially those dang phase lemons
Sickeny
Chickadoo

Postby Virukino » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Personally, I think there should be some sort of food merchant that will buy(maybe sell?) any food for newbucks, 1 or 2 for pogo(most for farming, most common), ranging to about 20 for the onions(rarest, I think)(food wouldn't sell for much, but over time, it would give a lot of money. For example, I have over 100 cuberries and mint mangoes, and those would give 7 to 10 ish newbucks each, with a few thousand total).
Virukino
Chickadoo

Postby akkamaddi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 pm

DarkPulse wrote:Ah, I didn't know this was replacing the exchange. I thought it was more of an added thing - some kind of new warp machine or something. If that's the case, then yes, that will mean the obsolescence of the Range Exchange.

I don't know if it will replace, but the "exchange" and "special missions" seemed to always be mentioned together. My guess is you use the exchange to butter up the NPC's so they give you the special missions, and essentially one transitions into the other.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby DarkPulse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Virukino wrote:Personally, I think there should be some sort of food merchant that will buy(maybe sell?) any food for newbucks, 1 or 2 for pogo(most for farming, most common), ranging to about 20 for the onions(rarest, I think)(food wouldn't sell for much, but over time, it would give a lot of money. For example, I have over 100 cuberries and mint mangoes, and those would give 7 to 10 ish newbucks each, with a few thousand total).
That'd be too cheap, realistically speaking. Most plorts will out-value that.

A better yardstick would be if the price of a piece of food was tied to the plort value of whatever slime has it as its favorite food - then you're not always making more simply by feeding your slimes.

akkamaddi wrote:
DarkPulse wrote:Ah, I didn't know this was replacing the exchange. I thought it was more of an added thing - some kind of new warp machine or something. If that's the case, then yes, that will mean the obsolescence of the Range Exchange.

I don't know if it will replace, but the "exchange" and "special missions" seemed to always be mentioned together. My guess is you use the exchange to butter up the NPC's so they give you the special missions, and essentially one transitions into the other.
Well, that would give a little more use to Range Exchange - trading a short-term loss of profits to something potentially more long-range worthy of your time.

I guess the first one of those we'll see is 1.1.0!
DarkPulse
Plort

Postby Calydor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:33 am

Lots of good suggestions here!

One thing I would really like to see is a quick overview of what you're missing. Nothing spoilery, just something that can give you an idea of where to go next, eg. The Dry Reef - Gordo Slimes: 3/4, Slime Doors: 2/2.
Calydor
Rancher

Postby Virukino » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 am

DarkPulse wrote:
Virukino wrote:Personally, I think there should be some sort of food merchant that will buy(maybe sell?) any food for newbucks, 1 or 2 for pogo(most for farming, most common), ranging to about 20 for the onions(rarest, I think)(food wouldn't sell for much, but over time, it would give a lot of money. For example, I have over 100 cuberries and mint mangoes, and those would give 7 to 10 ish newbucks each, with a few thousand total).
That'd be too cheap, realistically speaking. Most plorts will out-value that.

A better yardstick would be if the price of a piece of food was tied to the plort value of whatever slime has it as its favorite food - then you're not always making more simply by feeding your slimes.

The main reason of this is so that if you only have a few slimes in each corral, and can't feed them, and you happen to have an excess of food that isn't doing much, so you can sell it for some extra newbucks. Would 5-50 be better than 1-20 for food prices?
Virukino
Chickadoo

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:58 am

On the food merchant...

I had in idea stuck in my head, and i thought it was from something in the game, that the indigenous food is poisonous to people, at least without heavy processing that makes it taste bland at best. This makes the food undesirable on the open market.

I think the "food market" is the range exchange. Food is valuable to other ranchers.

I know this is getting an overhaul, but I think the ranch exchange is poorly developed as-is. Thora occasionally offers extracted resources, which is somewhat valuable. The only time I had a good deal with the exchange was getting my first hunters and mint mangoes. (I was repeatedly knocked into the slime sea in the moss blanket by feral hunter largos.)

The easiest quick fix for the exchange is to include cash in the rewards. (I'm working on the last 7Zee reward levels, and I'm selling *pink* plorts.) Adding a "reputation", and right/left arrows, so you can get a second and then third simultaneous offer would help (especially with cash).

I would also love to see some new slime science blueprints be offered by large exchange orders, but I have a feeling something like this is coming with the new mini-missions.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby DarkPulse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Calydor wrote:Lots of good suggestions here!

One thing I would really like to see is a quick overview of what you're missing. Nothing spoilery, just something that can give you an idea of where to go next, eg. The Dry Reef - Gordo Slimes: 3/4, Slime Doors: 2/2.
That's actually a pretty good idea.

If there isn't some kind of "proximity sensor," this would be good to have, although I'd still think you should visually sight them before the game will log its "presence" (so when you step into an area first, it's ?/? for both, then 1/? or 2/? or whatever for when you've found some but not all, and then finally once you've found all of them, it can mark 2/3 or whatever), since if you just walked in and somehow "knew" that you could find 3 Gordos and 1 Slime Gate in this area, that'd be a bit of an immersion breaker and an exploration discourager.

Some might hate that it spoils things once you've sighted them all, but to me, this is more about reducing player frustration and having to turn to some external FAQ to know if they've found all the things in a given area.

While we're at it, this could be applied to the Treasure Pods, as well.

Virukino wrote:The main reason of this is so that if you only have a few slimes in each corral, and can't feed them, and you happen to have an excess of food that isn't doing much, so you can sell it for some extra newbucks. Would 5-50 be better than 1-20 for food prices?
Loosely speaking, "ideally" a given food would be the price of the plort of whatever slime feeds it. In practice, though, that's no good - you should be given some kind of disadvantage (because otherwise you wouldn't even need to raise slimes - defeating the point of a game called Slime Rancher) so that you can't just ignore slimes and are incentivized to actually farm and raise them.

I'd say something better is 1/3rd to 1/2 of the price of the plort. Obviously, the stuff that's not favored by anything (like Carrots) would default to the Pink Slime's plort price as its base and then go through that same calculation - if you're getting more than 2-4 plorts for a Carrot, something's pretty wrong.
DarkPulse
Plort

Return to General Discussion