There's now a Slime Rancher gamepedia (+ poll on migrating)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

There's now a Slime Rancher gamepedia (+ poll on migrating)

Postby Krakob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:49 am

New poll: https://strawpoll.me/6536849

http://slimerancher.gamepedia.com/Slime_Rancher_Wiki

Sadly, since this took almost a month, the Wikia is pretty enstablished now and unless we want to fracture the community we'll probably have to choose to use only one of the two.

How do you all, and in particular those who have worked on the wikia or planned on working on either wiki, feel about it?
Last edited by Krakob on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krakob
Admin

Postby zizzlha » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:01 am

I've worked quite a bit on the Wikia, and I have no problem at all working on the Gamepedia instead if more people like it (because of no ads and whatnot). That being said, I've never used Gamepedia before, and won't be of much help with coding, etc. unless they have thorough tutorials.
zizzlha
Plort

Re: There's now a Slime Rancher gamepedia

Postby DeltaStorm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:33 am

Krakob wrote:http://slimerancher.gamepedia.com/Slime_Rancher_Wiki

Sadly, since this took almost a month, the Wikia is pretty enstablished now and unless we want to fracture the community we'll probably have to choose to use only one of the two.

How do you all, and in particular those who have worked on the wikia or planned on working on either wiki, feel about it?

I'm going to start working on it!
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Re:

Postby Krakob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:37 am

zizzlha wrote:I've worked quite a bit on the Wikia, and I have no problem at all working on the Gamepedia instead if more people like it (because of no ads and whatnot). That being said, I've never used Gamepedia before, and won't be of much help with coding, etc. unless they have thorough tutorials.

I'm quite sure gamepedia uses standard wiki markup and Wikia would be wise to do the same. If you wanna work on it, just do as you would on Wikia and I'm sure it'd work out 9/10 times.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Pharenir » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 am

Well... I invested several dozens of hours into the Wikia one.

While it does look like the code is similar, if not the same, the documentation of it on the gamepedia help page is... awful, at best.

The ad problem would be solved with an adblock plugin (which nearly everyone has already anyway).

While I have to admit the front page looks good, that's also possible with Wikia and is a work in progress.

In my opinion the only viable way - if a change to gamepedia is desired at all - is to port the wikia 1:1. If that's not possible, it shouldn't be done at all.

I don't really see a benefit in the gamepedia one anyway to be honest.

Moreover it looks like the gamepedia one wasn't created by users at all. It looks like an effort of curse to hop on the hype train and get a piece of the cake.

Tl;dr: I'll stay with the Wikia one.
Admin and proud member of the Slime Rancher Wikia.
Pharenir
Plort

Postby zizzlha » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 am

I'll have to agree with Pharenir here, I really can't see what is better about Gamepedia over Wikia now that I've actually looked at a *new* wiki on both sites and how they work. Gamepedia is a lot more confusing and this is especially important when it is the community making the wiki, of which there is a large majority of people that have no experience with coding, etc. etc. (including myself).

What exactly was mentioned as the advantages of Gamepedia in the original thread about the wiki situation?
zizzlha
Plort

Postby DeltaStorm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 am

A quick wiki layout for slimes.

Summary

Slimepedia Entry

Tips for ranching the slime.

Trivia.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am

Pharenir wrote:The ad problem would be solved with an adblock plugin (which nearly everyone has already anyway).

This is also not exactly ethical and recommending your users to get an adblocker would be a surefire way to get site admins quite annoyed with you.

Pharenir wrote:Moreover it looks like the gamepedia one wasn't created by users at all. It looks like an effort of curse to hop on the hype train and get a piece of the cake.

The gamepedia was made because I requested them to make one after we held a poll which at the time was strongly in favour of using gamepedia over wikia.

zizzlha wrote:What exactly was mentioned as the advantages of Gamepedia in the original thread about the wiki situation?

The main two reasons are that it's more familiar to most people since it's closer to the SK wiki as well as Wikipedia and anything built on Mediawiki.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Pharenir » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am

Krakob wrote:
Pharenir wrote:The ad problem would be solved with an adblock plugin (which nearly everyone has already anyway).

This is also not exactly ethical and recommending your users to get an adblocker would be a surefire way to get site admins quite annoyed with you.

Well, I don' recommend using it, it's just a possibility. It's just on the home page either way, so it doesn't really bother me anyway ^^

Krakob wrote:
Pharenir wrote:Moreover it looks like the gamepedia one wasn't created by users at all. It looks like an effort of curse to hop on the hype train and get a piece of the cake.

The gamepedia was made because I requested them to make one after we held a poll which at the time was strongly in favour of using gamepedia over wikia.

Okay, that's reasonable. At least why it's created. Taking them that long to create it isn't exactly a plus for them though...

Another question for me is though, how do they finance themselves if not by ads?

The wikia version might've gotten some popularity when nick retweeted it.

To bring this discussion to an end though, maybe we should just start another poll?
Pharenir
Plort

Postby Krakob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Gamepedia is financed through advertisement and probably Curse's other services as well. The difference between the sites is that Wikia seems to serve 6 ads per page (2 on the top of the page, 2 on the right side, sponsored but related IGN videos on the right side, another as an intrusive footer that has to be clicked away), Gamepedia serves 2 (top of page, bottom of page). Both were judged from what I believe are their respectively most popular wikis: Minecraft on Gamepedia and Fallout on Wikia

Here's a new poll: https://strawpoll.me/6536849

I'll add it on the OP.
Krakob
Admin

Re: There's now a Slime Rancher gamepedia (+ poll on migrati

Postby DeltaStorm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Adding all of the Slime pages, done the Pink, Rock and Tabby so far.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I'll see what I can do when I get home.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pharenir » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Krakob wrote:Gamepedia is financed through advertisement and probably Curse's other services as well. The difference between the sites is that Wikia seems to serve 6 ads per page (2 on the top of the page, 2 on the right side, sponsored but related IGN videos on the right side, another as an intrusive footer that has to be clicked away), Gamepedia serves 2 (top of page, bottom of page). Both were judged from what I believe are their respectively most popular wikis: Minecraft on Gamepedia and Fallout on Wikia

Here's a new poll: https://strawpoll.me/6536849

I'll add it on the OP.

Thanks for making the poll.

Well, just create a wikia account, log in and voila, you only have 2 ads at the top of the home page...
Pharenir
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

DeltaStorm wrote:Adding all of the Slime pages, done the Pink, Rock and Tabby so far.

Is it okay if I start on a Category:Slimes page? Right now either there's no navigation to speak of or I just can't find it.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Fruit » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Sure, I'll work on it. Fixing grammar and such.
Fruit
Rancher

Postby Blazekop12 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:21 pm

So far, I've been adding slimepedia entries into the slime articles.
Blazekop12
Rancher

Re:

Postby z0mbiesrock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 pm

zizzlha wrote:I've worked quite a bit on the Wikia, and I have no problem at all working on the Gamepedia instead if more people like it (because of no ads and whatnot). That being said, I've never used Gamepedia before, and won't be of much help with coding, etc. unless they have thorough tutorials.

Ever heard of Ad-Block? I have a Wikia account and use Adblock to keep me safe from malvertisements.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Pigcatapult » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

I don't know how to add stub markup. (Also both of these are completely different from how Wikidot works and I am confused. I'm sorry I haven't been of any help so far.)

So far, for the yet-to-be-created "Slime" page, all I've got is:

'''Slimes''' are the wiggly, gelatinous native inhabitants of the [[Far, Far Range]].

And then I hit writer's block and I don't really want to commit something so small and uninformative to a page for something so important.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:59 am

Superb job on the gamepedia, you gents and/or ladies!

For now it seems like the poll is very even. This is a problem because unlike a state we don't have the means of applying democracy which means that a lot of people will not agree with the poll and do as they please.
Krakob
Admin

Postby LordOmega » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Gamepedia is powered by Curse, these guys have a really bad habit of forcing themselves into communities and ruining everything just to maximize their profit.

If you want a reason not to trust these guys, just check how broken the Minecraftforum site is!
LordOmega
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:57 pm

LordOmega wrote:Gamepedia is powered by Curse, these guys have a really bad habit of forcing themselves into communities and ruining everything just to maximize their profit.

If you want a reason not to trust these guys, just check how broken the Minecraftforum site is!

...Crap. I didn't know that. That, uh, sounds bad.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:03 am

I'm not super familiar with that. Looking at the Minecraft forum, it looks like it's fine although Curse is heavily integrated into it. Could you elaborate on what they tend to do? Do they do that with other communities? What do you think they would be able to do with the SR community without developer consent?
Krakob
Admin

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 am

Krakob wrote:I'm not super familiar with that. Looking at the Minecraft forum, it looks like it's fine although Curse is heavily integrated into it. Could you elaborate on what they tend to do? Do they do that with other communities? What do you think they would be able to do with the SR community without developer consent?

He's just trying to get us back on wikia, nevermind him.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Alianin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello all! I'm the Wiki Manager on the new Gamepedia wiki. I apologize it took so long to get a response. I guess the wiki request got lost somewhere along the line.

I've seen a few of you already working away over there. Thank you for your help! The base of the wiki is all set up now, so feel free to have at it. If you're not sure how something work, feel free to reach out to me and I'd be happy to assist. You don't have to know fancy wiki coding, you just need to know about the game. ;)

I know there's people on both sides or undecided on which wiki to use and that's fine. We're happy to have anyone involved that wants to be. With that said, if you have any suggestions on how to make the wiki better, I'm all ears.

As for the game, I'm having a blast playing it and am looking forward to future updates!
Wiki Manager of the Slime Rancher Wiki on Gamepedia
Alianin
Plort

Postby Krakob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:37 pm

Good to have you here!
Krakob
Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion