Slime Rancher v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 Discussion Thread

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Rancher v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 Discussion Thread

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 am

The big day is finally here!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4685

Please use this thread to provide feedback for Slime Rancher v1.0.0

Edit: Since we followed up 1.0.0 with another update right away, let's discuss that one here as well!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4747&p=35999#p35999
Nick
Developer

Re: Slime Rancher v1.0.0 Discussion Thread

Postby z0mbiesrock » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 am

The Tarr still make those cute slime noises
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Oppis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am

Congratulations to the devs. A long journey is behind us and a new just began!
Oppis
Chickadoo

Sorry, but still the worst translation

Postby Naokka » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 am

A truly classic case of very bad translation into Russian, which is really strange and seems unprofessional. I don’t know if you can do something about it, because some parts are so bad that they spoil the story and whole game experience. English version is much better.
Naokka
Plort

Postby Dragoonfly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

Congratulations and thank you for releasing Slime Rancher.
Now that the game is officially out i thought that also the rest of the icons will be added.
I mean those which you can select if you want to start a new game ;).
Will these icons come along with future updates ?
Would like to have a save with a Mosaic Slime Pic ;D.

Greetings
Dragoonfly
Dragoonfly
Chickadoo

Postby RafiRomero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 am

First of all, Congratulations! It's running fine for me on Steam, and we're (my family:) all enjoying ourselves. It's lovely to see what Beatrix looks like:)

However, the standalone humble bundle 1.0 executables don't work on either of the two PCs I've tried (black, unresponsive screen, no sound).
Both PCs ran the previous version just fine.
I installed SlimeRancher_Win64_1.0.0_Setup on my "main" PC, which is fairly modern and powerful. I got a black screen, no sound. I tried deleting my save files (the whole folder under AppData), and the root MonomiPark registry entry, but this made no difference (except it tried to run on a different display).
I installed the 32-bit version on my tablet (which may not meet the system requirements, I've not checked, but it ran the last version just fine), with the same result (although I haven't tried deleting stuff from my tablet yet).

So, I was just getting ready to hit "enter" to send this, then I thought maybe I should fully uninstall the old version first via the windows start menu thingy. I did this, re-ran the installation EXE, and now everything is fine.

I wonder if there is some problem upgrading from the previous version?

Edit: Did proper uninstall and then fresh install on tablet, that is also working now, and the framerate is waaay better than the previous version, much smoother game, thanks:)
RafiRomero
Chickadoo

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Rafi. We're looking into it.
Nick
Developer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 pm

For anyone who is having the blackscreen issue RafiRomero describes (After upgrading your Humble installation to 1.0, getting a black screen) - We're still looking into exactly what's going on there, but for now, uninstalling the old version and installing the 1.0 version cleanly seems to repair the problem.
Mike
Developer

Postby z0mbiesrock » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Mike, where were you?

ANd there's still that issue with Tarr still making those cute slimey wimey sounds when jumping

I even have it on YOUTUBE
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Kalkrona » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:44 pm

<spoiler>
You can get yourself trapped in the Indigo Quarry vault, by jumping through after activating the switch. If there is an 1.0.0b, could you please add a second one on the other side?
<spoiler>
Kalkrona
Chickadoo

Postby DSi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Will multiplayer be added in the future?
DSi
Plort

Postby z0mbiesrock » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm

I have made a summary of this RPS post:

State of the Art: The slimes of Slime Rancher

Here it is:

1. Quantum Slime Concept

Obviously the Quantum slimes were tricky to implement. Though I do know that sometimes devs like to pick up on some fan-made designs and such.

Pip wrote:I’m also curious about the quantum slimes which project a ghost form as a glitchy slime it can actually take the position of. Did you have to go through a few forms so that their abilities were easily legible to players?

Nick wrote:No actually, that one was on a post-it note on my desk forever that was something like ‘we gotta do this some day!’ and one day we just felt brave enough to try it. It’s a unique behavior and, unfortunately, it’s really difficult to manage in the game so a lot of players avoid them.

I actually had a fan-made slime concept about Quantum Slimes. Perhaps Nick saw the post and wrote the note about "we gotta do this some day!"

My 2 cents.

2. Tarr Concept:
I like how Nick though up about the Tarr's monstrous nature without diverting away from the cuteness.

Nick wrote:Even in its earlier days, I wanted Slime Rancher to take some inspiration from the movie, Gremlins. I liked that there were strict rules you needed to follow or the cute little gremlin you had became something terrible. So instead of having conventional enemies or a villain in Slime Rancher, we stuck with a monster that only really appears if you let it happen or make a mistake.

3. Meteor Slime Behavior concepts:
I knew about the meteor slime magnetism part,because I skimmed the game's code while trying to see how the game works...but the part where they fall like meteors does seem ridiculous.

Nick wrote:We never had final art for the meteor slime [you can see a sketch earlier in this article, though – Pip] but it was the aforementioned dual ‘bad behaviors’ of the Glass Desert slimes that made us pivot on the meteor slime. It was going to be magnetic, like an inverse boom slime and also come crashing into the world as a meteor. It was very interesting but that second bit wouldn’t make sense on the ranch, and the mosaic slimes were already raining fire, so we pivoted.

Honestly, the meteor slime could have been implemented to not only be magnetic, but it would also jump really high as a streaking fireball that creates a small explosion when it lands.
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:11 pm

I'd hardly put the devs at fault, but the first of the "final things to do" that i found had none of the trees with ripe fruit so most of the "sources" ended up going to waste. =/ would love a do-over for it, but i'll settle for just finding the other "final things to do" and doing them after a "specific upcoming update..."
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

z0mbiesrock wrote:
Nick wrote: I wanted Slime Rancher to take some inspiration from the movie, Gremlins.

I would also love to ask the developers if any have read the book "Solaris", by Stanislaw Lem. (On which was based the Latvian/Russian movie, which prompted the Russian min-series, which inspired the US movie by Soderberg.) I realized in the first couple days of playing this game that if you tried to turn "Solaris" into an obscenely cute children's game, the line between the book (after you took an axe to it) and this game would actually be pretty short.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 pm

@Nick props to the the careful selection of character design and singer to still keep it uncertain if Casey is a guy or girl lol.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby akkamaddi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:16 pm

PrismSlime wrote:@Nick props to the the careful selection of character design and singer to still keep it uncertain if Casey is a guy or girl lol.

Yes, that! I was wondering if that was just me! It is a very subtle and understated way to handle it. I think it was done very well.

Hat-tip to the devs.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby SuperQuantumSlime » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

First, I love the Beatrix model. It seems very realistic. But that temple at the end of the Glass Desert, it seems that there's something through the portal. Very confusing when you first find it. This has been a journey for Monomi Park, from the Pre-Alpha stages to 1.0.0. GREAT Job!

P.S. When do you receive the last Casey mail? I've found the last of Hobson's notes and read them, but haven't gotten the StarMail yet.
SuperQuantumSlime
Plort

Postby Diablomaster761 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:12 am

Ever since I started playing this game just after Christmas I always wanted 2 things in game:
1. A mapping system (can place waypoints)
2. Co-op (this would be great as teamwork could really help, e.g someone goes out collecting plorts, time the other stays back, feeding the slimes, and tending to the ranch.)

In my opinion these would be great and for the other character could either share the same room or the main house could have 2 floors, for each player
Im just some guy on the internet who has been playing slime rancher since about january 2017
Diablomaster761
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 am

Diablomaster761 wrote:Ever since I started playing this game just after Christmas I always wanted 2 things in game:
1. A mapping system (can place waypoints)
2. Co-op (this would be great as teamwork could really help, e.g someone goes out collecting plorts, time the other stays back, feeding the slimes, and tending to the ranch.)

In my opinion these would be great and for the other character could either share the same room or the main house could have 2 floors, for each player

A map system will be added in tommorow's update.
As for multiplayer, just read this.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Omallystwin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:10 am

First Off, Well Done. Seriously outstanding game!

My wife and I run a youtube channel and would like to create a diaoluge with the devs as this game will be featured a lot! couple of questions?

Will there be some kind of navigation aid or mini map added?
Any thoughts on a multiplayer mode?
Which spawn of Satan came up with the Tangle Slimes? Hate those guys! nearly wiped out my whole ranch!

Would love to hear back from you guys!
Omallystwin
Plort

Postby z0mbiesrock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:40 pm

How many subs? Besides that, welcome to the forums.
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Omallystwin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

just over a thousand
Omallystwin
Plort

Postby Diablomaster761 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

z0mbiesrock wrote:How many subs? Besides that, welcome to the forums.

Ive got 161 subscribers
Im just some guy on the internet who has been playing slime rancher since about january 2017
Diablomaster761
Rancher

Postby Naybob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm

SuperQuantumSlime wrote:First, I love the Beatrix model. It seems very realistic. But that temple at the end of the Glass Desert, it seems that there's something through the portal. Very confusing when you first find it. This has been a journey for Monomi Park, from the Pre-Alpha stages to 1.0.0. GREAT Job!

P.S. When do you receive the last Casey mail? I've found the last of Hobson's notes and read them, but haven't gotten the StarMail yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/monomipark/status/892890261293903872
chIKEns?
Naybob
Rancher

Postby Kalkrona » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:15 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:A map system will be added in tommorow's update.
As for multiplayer, just read this.

I know they said it would likely be next/this week, but I can't find any conformation it would be on monday, immediately.
Kalkrona
Chickadoo

Next

Return to General Discussion