Keeping slimes

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Keeping slimes

Postby Fruit » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 am

What happens when slimes starve? Do they disappear?
Fruit
Rancher

Re: Keeping slimes

Postby CrazeePi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 am

They try to escape more.
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby Fruit » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:16 am

Do they ever starve to death?
Fruit
Rancher

Postby Arkelia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:26 am

Fruit wrote:Do they ever starve to death?

Not that I know. They just look hungry and are harder to control (more bouncing, more rolling, more exploding...)
Arkelia
Chickadoo

Postby SerSquidd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:08 am

Ive always wondered this too a bit. But it seems that as long as you have Tall Walls and Air Net, they'll never escaped unless you've over-populated your Corral to the point of bursting.

I feel like there should be a timer on Slimes.. Dissappearing.. If you dont feed them for X amount of time. Or Worse.
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 am

A feature is likely coming in the future where slimes will burrow away if starving for a prolonged period of time. This will come with art to show they left.

You'll note that all corrals have earthen floors. Amongst ranchers, slimes are always considered guests, not captives. They're free to leave when they wish but always stick around so long as their bellies(?) are full.
Nick
Developer

Postby SerSquidd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 am

Nick wrote:A feature is likely coming in the future where slimes will burrow away if starving for a prolonged period of time. This will come with art to show they left.

You'll note that all corrals have earthen floors. Amongst ranchers, slimes are always considered guests, not captives. They're free to leave when they wish but always stick around so long as their bellies(?) are full.

Im glad to see thats the case!
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:10 am

Nick wrote:Amongst ranchers, slimes are always considered guests, not captives. They're free to leave when they wish but always stick around so long as their bellies(?) are full.

That's SO awesome <3
Heather
Admin

Postby DeltaStorm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:20 am

Nick wrote:A feature is likely coming in the future where slimes will burrow away if starving for a prolonged period of time. This will come with art to show they left.

I'd love a 'mean choice' where you'll be punished for, but you can prevent burrowing by installing steel floors. A perfect monster.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Urby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:59 pm

This brings up an interesting question, though: how do squishy slimes dig? I can imagine Tabby slimes doing an intense wiggle, wiggle that pushes them into the ground, but what about, say, an ordinary Pink slime?

Unless they can eat their way through the dirt :o
3D modeler, doodler, and video game designer.
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Urby wrote:This brings up an interesting question, though: how do squishy slimes dig? I can imagine Tabby slimes doing an intense wiggle, wiggle that pushes them into the ground, but what about, say, an ordinary Pink slime?

We see them pop out of the dirt. They probably just do that, but in reverse. Somehow. Soil seems to be a medium they are capable of traversing, at least.

... Slimes are mysterious.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:
Urby wrote:This brings up an interesting question, though: how do squishy slimes dig? I can imagine Tabby slimes doing an intense wiggle, wiggle that pushes them into the ground, but what about, say, an ordinary Pink slime?

We see them pop out of the dirt. They probably just do that, but in reverse. Somehow. Soil seems to be a medium they are capable of traversing, at least.

... Slimes are mysterious.

Piffy, you seem to keep trying to apply science and logic to these creatures that defy normal forms of science and logic. Try thinking with Slime Science instead! (And I guess Slime Logic?)

(Being a zoology nerd myself, I've tried wondering about these questions many, many times. I think it's better for my poor brain if I just say "they're slimes, they do what they want" and leave it at that. :P)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:33 am

Elskah wrote:Piffy, you seem to keep trying to apply science and logic to these creatures that defy normal forms of science and logic. Try thinking with Slime Science instead! (And I guess Slime Logic?)

(Being a zoology nerd myself, I've tried wondering about these questions many, many times. I think it's better for my poor brain if I just say "they're slimes, they do what they want" and leave it at that. :P)

You have a fair point there. I need to learn to switch gears :P

A huge influence on my writing style and overall approach to creative things has been writing in a setting where part of the conceit of it is applying science where it has no business being. And that works okay, in paranormal sci-fi horror. But Slime Rancher is none of those things, and deserves a different approach.

... This is gonna be hard.

((Edit: aw crap I forgot to trim the post sorry about that)
Last edited by Pigcatapult on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Splendid » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:56 am

Nick wrote:Amongst ranchers, slimes are always considered guests, not captives. They're free to leave when they wish but always stick around so long as their bellies(?) are full.

Man, I suppose slimes don't really give much thought about us ranchers, they just.. do as they wish.
Slime Rancher Wikia Page:
http://slimerancher.wikia.com/
Splendid
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion