Replay-ability Endgame Problem Solutions (7-7-17)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Replay-ability Endgame Problem Solutions (7-7-17)

Postby DAYtime » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Replay-ability Update Suggestions

Slime Rancher is a very fun and creative game but it lacks a strong end game. Eventually, players will reach a point in which they have so much money and nothing to spend it on and therefore, no longer a reason to play. These suggestions are to help remove that from happening and further the lifespan of play-throughs.

Slime Lifespans: Slimes are taken from their wild habitat and placed in a corral where they will feed on free food and poop out plorts. The end. Eventually players won't even have the need to ever leave the ranch. The solution? Slime lifespans.

Chickens have lifespans currently in the game, Hen Hens in particular. Eventually they will grow up and become Elder Hen Hens, no longer producing eggs. Slimes should be the same way. Slimes should last based on their market price. If they're cheap, they'll last a while. More expensive ones will expire faster. This is a base rate, their expiration doesn't change like the market prices do, it's just balance the more rarer ones with the common pinks.

When a slime expires, it'll turn into an elder, ex. A Pink Slime becomes an Elder Pink Slime. The elder slime still eats as normal but does not produce plorts. When this happens, you have three options. Keep them for memory sake, dispose of them (The Slime Sea, an incinerator, releasing them into the wild), or returning them to their ancestral place). Returning them to the Ancestral Ruins rewards players for leaving the ranch and exploring more. At the ruins, there are special spots you must find where you deposit your elders based on their type. Largos are excluded from this option as they cannot be transported efficiently. Players will receive a reward after depositing an elder. This is up to Monomi Park to decide on what that might be.

Money Issue: Eventually players will gain so much money after doing all the upgrades and purchasing everything that people will quit. The Solution? There are many ideas I have but I need help from the public on this issue as well. Remember, its after you buy everything. Increasing pricing and slowing down gameplay still will result in being over rich with nothing to spend it on. Here are my ideas and the rest will be everyone else's ideas.

Science Quota!: After unlocking the Science Lab and completing the tutorial (An advanced endgame area), a science quota box will appear either next to the mission box or somewhere in the science lab area. After unlocking this area, you are an official slime scientist and not only do you have to support your own creativity, but the public's advance to science as well. Every few days, there is a plort quota you must reach. This can be easy or hard, depending on randomness and what areas you currently have unlocked. If you don't complete the quota in the timelimit (a few days, before it refreshes), you receive a new mail saying you have been fined 500 newbucks. Subsequently, more failures after each other will be [n * 500; n = the number of consecutive failures]. After meeting one quota, your fees will reset to 500 again. This way you HAVE to make money AND get plorts, or else you'll be broke. If you go broke and get fined again, your ranch will be repossessed and it'll become a game over. Now there is a reason, to keep playing and moving on. Now there is purpose!

Market Buy Option: If we were given the option to buy plorts (for use in the science lab or creating certain largos) for more money than they sell, that'll help in reducing how much money players have and still require them to gain more money. Having the option to buy plorts also helps if players don't want to travel outside and find 3 rad plorts if they can buy it for double the price for example.

The rest is up to the public to think about and post here. MONOMI PARK pay attention to this thread! I will be updating it many times, so check for comments and edits I make. I'll be sure to update the Original Post with a date on top so you know when to check. Thank you everyone! Let's save this game!
Get rich or die sliming.
DAYtime
Chickadoo

Re: Replay-ability Endgame Problem Solutions (7-7-17)

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:50 am

Nice ideas, although I feel like the science quota thing wouldn't be needed, as a similar thing is coming with the Iron Rancher mode sometime after 1.0.0.

Oh, and don't expect to be able to update your original post, as here on the forums, after 24 hours pass from the post being submitted, you won't be able to edit it anymore.

Welcome to the forums!
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:30 am

I've got to be honest...

I truly hate these ideas.
It sounds a bit harsh, but this would probably just add incentive to not play and just make everything less fun. I do agree that Endgame problems do exist, but then again no game is truly endless and the game is of course still in v6.0.0 Early Acess.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby DAYtime » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 am

How so? I only see positives and an actual challenge. Even the Tarr aren't a real threat after the first health upgrade.

What's the problem with Slime Lifespans?
What's the problem with a Quota to reach?
What's the problem with a market buy option?
Remember that all of these questions include their iterations as they will more than likely be edited to be better. They are just IDEAS, a base. Not the final product.

Why not create a gamemode with this called Adventure Plus like what Dark Souls or other games do. I feel Ironman mode is going to be challenging but to a silly level with vampiric chickens to all we know so far.

Please explain what you mean so others can read it and see the issues. Then we all as a community can either improve the ideas I posted OR understand why they don't work and all try to come up with other ideas. Just negativity is useless and doesn't help at all. Think outside the box for once.

And btw 1.0 comes out in a couple weeks and 6.0 was the largest update. Anything after that is told to us that they MAY put in more gamemodes but not promised. Unless if they allow mod support in which I know this stuff will more than likely be created by someone, however even mod support isn't promised either...
Last edited by DAYtime on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get rich or die sliming.
DAYtime
Chickadoo

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:02 am

DAYtime wrote:How so? I only see positives and an actual challenge. Even the Tarr aren't a real threat after the first health upgrade.

What's the problem with Slime Lifespans?
What's the problem with a Quota to reach?
What's the problem with a market buy option?
Remember that all of these questions include their iterations as they will more than likely be edited to be better. They are just IDEAS, a base. Not the final product.

Why not create a gamemode with this called Adventure Plus like what dark souls does. I feel Ironman mode is going to be challenging but to a silly level with vampiric chickens to all we know so far.

Please explain what you mean so others can read it and see the issues. Then we all as a community can either improve the ideas I posted OR understand why they don't work and all try to come up with other ideas. Just negativity is useless and doesn't help at all. Think outside the box for once.

And btw 1.0 comes out in a couple weeks and 6.0 was the largest update. Anything after that is told to us that they MAY put in more gamemodes but not promised. Unless if they allow mod support in which I know this stuff will more than likely be created by someone, however even mod support isn't promised either...

Blimey, that was fast!

Your mode idea (bold) makes sense. I would probably agree with these in that situation.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby DAYtime » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 am

Thank you.

Now we're coming with some gas! :) Let's keep it positive and brainstorm.

With an Adventure Plus Gamemode, it'll be like the normal Gamemode but with ideas implemented like above to present a real challenge to the game without anything too silly. This COULD be unlocked after playing the regular Adventure Gamemode for a few days (game days).
Get rich or die sliming.
DAYtime
Chickadoo

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 am

OOOOoooH sounds good
My Fanon-Lore Posts

- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby PlortInMyFort » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:52 am

DAYtime wrote:With an Adventure Plus Gamemode, it'll be like the normal Gamemode but with ideas implemented like above to present a real challenge to the game without anything too silly. This COULD be unlocked after playing the regular Adventure Gamemode for a few days (game days).

I'd like them to make the harvesting and ranching aspects less tedious via more upgrades, but add more depth to the gameplay in other areas.
Like different suction and water pressure levels for your vacgun or Slimes having more phases of anger and hunger; leading to eventual death.
PlortInMyFort
Chickadoo

Postby DAYtime » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 am

Yeah having a death/elder slime event happen would create more of a challenge. I like Elder more cuz it's less sad. Elders are already implemented with Hen Hens, so why not slimes too?
Get rich or die sliming.
DAYtime
Chickadoo

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 pm

These ideas might make life harder for newer players, especially slime elders. That does not mean they're bad ideas, just they need to be implemented in some other mode.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Postby DAYtime » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:01 pm

"Why not create a gamemode with this called Adventure Plus like what Dark Souls or other games do. I feel Ironman mode is going to be challenging but to a silly level with vampiric chickens to all we know so far."

"With an Adventure Plus Gamemode, it'll be like the normal Gamemode but with ideas implemented like above to present a real challenge to the game without anything too silly. This COULD be unlocked after playing the regular Adventure Gamemode for a few days (game days)."

It'll definitely make it harder, that's the point. But easier slimes like pinks last way longer than higher level slimes. I covered this all in the previous posts lol
Get rich or die sliming.
DAYtime
Chickadoo

Postby WOLRUS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

I somewhat disagree with that. My suggestion would be to have science gadgets deduct a small fee (fine then, 100-300 newbucks, pickypants), or something like that. I don't really want slimes to have lifespans, because...(my two rock slime pets Aquamarine and Sapphire would look terrible rolling around my ranch with squinched up eyes and cross old man expressions) But I rarely ever make money with plorts. (I may or may not have been guilty of using rad plorts to spell out EmeraldPlay's name on my ranch, don't judge...and maaaybe using slime science resources to make slightly blobby murals on the ground) And isn't going out and sitting in the glass desert for days on end watching solar flares fun too? There are lots of ways to occupy your time!
Then...I am guilty of making my game purposely harder (largos must be wild caught, no making them, screenshot and scrapbook pictures of every largo in the game, build a staircase of chickens so you can walk on top of the plort market, do the no jetpack challenge, of course, strange art using strange things, etc) so that I never get bored.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Postby SnailsAttack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Giving the slimes lifespans just sounds like a colossal pain in the ass, having a "science quota" would make the game much more stressful by creating the ability to actually lose your ranch (why?), and the market buy option is okay i guess.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby tyrantlemon55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Science Quota!: After unlocking the Science Lab and completing the tutorial (An advanced endgame area), a science quota box will appear either next to the mission box or somewhere in the science lab area. After unlocking this area, you are an official slime scientist and not only do you have to support your own creativity, but the public's advance to science as well. Every few days, there is a plort quota you must reach. This can be easy or hard, depending on randomness and what areas you currently have unlocked. If you don't complete the quota in the timelimit (a few days, before it refreshes), you receive a new mail saying you have been fined 500 newbucks. Subsequently, more failures after each other will be [n * 500; n = the number of consecutive failures]. After meeting one quota, your fees will reset to 500 again. This way you HAVE to make money AND get plorts, or else you'll be broke. If you go broke and get fined again, your ranch will be repossessed and it'll become a game over. Now there is a reason, to keep playing and moving on. Now there is purpose!

you are an official slime scientist

"Allows you to begin your career as an amateur, unlicensed Slime Scientist."

I see a big difference.
aw frick
tyrantlemon55
Rancher

Return to General Discussion