[farm suggestion] breeding station

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[farm suggestion] breeding station

Postby SoulKingBrook » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:03 pm

i have an idea for a breeding station, not to breed slimes of the same type to get more, but to breed separate types of slimes, to create unique special slimes rather then feeding one slime a plort of another to get a largo, why cant we take 2 slimes breed them and instead get an entirely different species of slime, for example, if we could take honey and rock slimes and breed them to make a rock candy slime or maybe just call it a candy slime, that would give its own type of plort
SoulKingBrook
Plort

Re: [farm suggestion] breeding station

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

That would become an exponentially more labor-intensive task as new slime types are added. It would create a very strong incentive to not add more non-hybrid slimes, because the bar of entry gets higher with every new slime added.

Also we already see from Gordos and Tarrs that slimes reproduce by splitting. They might also be born directly out of the slimy water table. Sexual reproduction from a taxon of barely-differentiated blob creatures would be... really weird, to me.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby KitsuneRyo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Yeah, I agree with Pig.. Don't they reproduce by just... splitting? They're an asexual, amoeba-mimicking multicelluar gel..... I really don't think trying to breed a genderless goo drop makes sense.... I mean, I get the desire to breed some awesome creatures and make perfect hybrids and all that... but that's for a different game.
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Plort consumption seems to facilitate some kind of horizontal gene transfer (HGT), but it's not very stable, as shown by how slimes first swell up into Largos and then completely break down into short-lived Tarrs.

... There's at least one slime scientist you can get trade quests with, though. Maybe something could be done along the lines of safer HGT through experimental tailored pseudo-plorts? That would be more of a "direct slime upgrade" than "breeding", but it would still be a sort of non-Largo hybrid.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby SoulKingBrook » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am

see i kinda just imagined the breeding station as a big ass blender to mix the slimes and recieve a different result, then with the largos but it would also be cool if i could get a small mix breed the same as the largos, just in normal slime size
SoulKingBrook
Plort

Postby z0mbiesrock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:51 am

KitsuneRyo wrote:Yeah, I agree with Pig.. Don't they reproduce by just... splitting? They're an asexual, amoeba-mimicking multicelluar gel..... I really don't think trying to breed a genderless goo drop makes sense.... I mean, I get the desire to breed some awesome creatures and make perfect hybrids and all that... but that's for a different game.

Well, they're aliens, so anything is possible.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Return to General Discussion