Any news about Multiplayer?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Any news about Multiplayer?

Postby TBG4Nomad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I was wondering if they have ever said anything about multiplayer in Slime Rancher, my sister and I would love to start a ranch together (have some fun Slime Rancher moments, get tasks done faster, etc.) but there is no multiplayer mode in the game. If anybody can give me some insight on the current situation then that would be immensely helpful. Thank You :)
TBG4Nomad
Plort

Re: Any news about Multiplayer?

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 pm

I'll save Emerald some work here...

Quote from the Slime Rancher FAQ:
"Will Slime Rancher support multiplayer?
Since we're seeing a lot of requests for a multiplayer feature from all our new (and awesome/handsome/beautiful) players, we thought it would be a good idea to address it.

Most of Slime Rancher's development was done by two people (we're four now, thanks to your support!) so a lot of decisions were made early on to allow two developers to make a game in a realistic timeframe. One of those decisions was multiplayer vs singleplayer.

Multiplayer is inherently more complicated and time-consuming to develop. And the hundreds of physics-enabled slimes bouncing around on screen needing to be in sync across two or more clients is a fantastically difficult problem to solve. So we decided to focus on solid single player experience.

For this reason we currently have no plans for multiplayer. However, anything is possible in the future if we continue to see the same level of wonderful support from players as we do now. So thanks for everything so far!

So in short, multiplayer is not ruled out, but we can't promise it either. And it is worth restating that multiplayer with all of the physics in SR is a very hard problem. SR is a very unconventional game and multiplayer support would require a very creative solution."
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Re: Any news about Multiplayer?

Postby TBG4Nomad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Thank you for that quote! Even though that they have said that they aren't planning on multiplayer, I still hope it will happen someday!
TBG4Nomad
Plort

Return to General Discussion