Magic chicken number?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Magic chicken number?

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Since there's apparently been a tweak for make chickens "more efficient," more research must be done. I currently get about 5 new chickens per day per coop on average keeping no more than 2 roostros and 4 hens at any given time. Has anyone gotten better results since the Chicken Efficiency Protocol (CEP) of v0.6.0c?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Re: Magic chicken number?

Postby WOLRUS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I believe that two roosters and four hens is the magic amount, with that rate their numbers seem to double overnight, but I'm not big on chicken farming here, so I'm not sure!
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 pm

well doubling isn't very good if only half of them get fed to slimes each day. ideally i'd like to reach 12 adult chickens per coop per day to get max yield. i'm currently just barely getting 15 since they often end up turning into elders before i can collect them.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby fishkatz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 am

Wolrus is right, four and two works very well. I don't know if it is optimum but it works better than three and two.
fishkatz
Plort

Postby SingABrightSong » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Came here to say that four and two worked well for me too, hatching upwards of eight chickadoos per diem. Deciding to test it further, I first emptied both my coops and then filled in the suggested breeding numbers at the beginning of the day. While waiting for the experiment to progress, I did some quick math and figured out that, in theory, up to ten chickens per day should be achievable with four hens and two , assuming non-overlapping generations.

Okay, seems like generations overlap a bit, and that roostros seem to beget two chickadoos at a time. I'm revising my estimates to a theoretical limit of 12 chickadoos per diem, which seems to be the general target people are aiming for.

Aargh, my roostros got old and muddled the experiment. Restarting...

Okay, by all means I *should* have gotten twelve there, but for some reason the chicakdoos stopped short at eleven, with the last batch having gotten 5 eggs instead of the usual six.
SingABrightSong
Plort

Postby PrismSlime » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:14 pm

i always get at least 1 or 2 elder roostros a day which i certainly think is effecting my chicken production. i have around 100 roostros in storage so the average is roostros of all ages. maybe a coop upgrade to extend their fertility could be useful.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Return to General Discussion