Less Annoying Farms

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Less Annoying Farms

Postby SnailsAttack » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Maintaining farms is currently a very annoying process.

As far as I can tell, each crop lasts 3 cycles. It produces the maximum number of crops for the first 2, and then on the third one it yields only and exactly 5 crops. I'm not sure why this is, but it's incredibly annoying and doesn't make any damn sense.

Sometimes when your crops "run out" they don't disappear and make the farm available for a new crop so you can never be sure when it needs to be replanted; Thus I usually just replant after every harvest, but that's tedious and annoying.

Another problem with just trashing the old crops and planting new ones after every harvest is that they get a head start every time you do so. Why???

I think that farms should be changed so that crops last forever, because honestly the cost of one crop for each replant is basically worthless, it's just annoying. Also, replanting crops should not give them a headstart because that makes no sense.

If crops never stopped growing, then dying and having the game skip ahead 24 hours wouldn't kill and rot all your crops, which would be VERY HELPFUL.

Also, harvesting crops is kind of obnoxious, especially with trees. You have to point your vac gun almost exactly at the fruit you want to pick, and suck at it for a good second and a half. This usually has to be done about 6 times to completely pick a tree.

I think that using a vac gun in the generally direction of a tree or ground crop should pick them almost instantly, and in a larger area.

TLDR;
- Crops should last forever once planted.
- Crops should be easier to harvest.

Thanks for reading.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Re: Less Annoying Farms

Postby SlimeRancherKay » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I agree that it would be easier if we could at least have some crops that can be harvested forever, like trees for instance and perhaps some veggies. As for quicker harvesting there's a trick I do and it works wonders, instead of aiming the vac at each fruit or whatever, it's quicker to delete the crop and by doing so it makes all of the crops fall from the tree or come out of the ground and all you gotta do is vac em up.
SlimeRancherKay
Rancher

Postby SnailsAttack » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

SlimeRancherKay wrote:I agree that it would be easier if we could at least have some crops that can be harvested forever, like trees for instance and perhaps some veggies. As for quicker harvesting there's a trick I do and it works wonders, instead of aiming the vac at each fruit or whatever, it's quicker to delete the crop and by doing so it makes all of the crops fall from the tree or come out of the ground and all you gotta do is vac em up.

Yes, I mentioned this, and it's really dumb and annoying that that's the easiest way to do it.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby SlimeRancherKay » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 am

True, but it's all we have for now.
SlimeRancherKay
Rancher

Postby Java » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:39 am

farms definitely need to be easier.
as someone who has slimes that exclusively eat fruits and veggies, it's a pain. i have 6 prickled pear trees and 1 silver parsnip garden.its so hard to pick them all and by the time i'm done all the slimes are angry.
Look who it is, it's this guy! Golly gosh, what's up?
Commission me for art, I'll do pixel icons and stuff: http://chokingonapencil.deviantart.com/
Set your phase lemons to stun!
Java
Rancher

Postby Azazel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25 am

I always just wait for the fruit to fall off the tree...

Maybe there should be an upgrade from the garden that greatly increases the number of harvests. A bee box would make sense, since bees pollinate the plants.
It's easy to forget but you're playing an early access game -> back up your save files!
Azazel
Chickadoo

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Ugh. No.

Plants don't live forever in real life. Sure, maybe fruit should last a little longer, but making farms last forever would make the game FAR too easy.

I have a different proposition: a way to pre-insert, perhaps, up to 10 of a plant to grow.
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."
-Stephen Hawking

Oceanus Out.
TheGreciansHousehold
Keeper

Location: The Oceanus Corporation, Sector 7, Room X (Sleep Room)

Return to General Discussion