[Slime Suggestion] Mole Slime

Share your original Slimepedia entries

[Slime Suggestion] Mole Slime

Postby Urby » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Rarity: Rare
Plort Starting Value: 50+?
Pun: There are approximately 6.022×10^23 of these slimes on the planet. That seems like a lot, but they're so hard to get a hold of!
Diet: Roots (no favorite?)

Slimeology: The Mole slime is known for its dark color, tightly-closed eyes, and unique pink nose. They are a subterranean species that surfaces only to feast upon their preferred diet of vegetables. After eating, they tend to stay above ground for a short period of time. Scientists are unsure whether or not they are sunning themselves or are having a breath of fresh air. It gets stuffy in the tunnels!

Unlike most slimes, the Mole slime is covered by a smooth, velvety substance. On some occasions, they may approach humans they do not perceive to be a threat in order to receive scratches and pets. They are not very bouncy, and when above ground, tend to move about by rolling.
An adventrous rancher might be able to capture a Mole slime while it is rolling about in such fashion, but they are easily frightened by the sound of the Vacpack and will attempt to escape when they hear it.

Risks: While normally very placid, the Mole slime becomes a threat to vegetable farmers everywhere as soon as it becomes hungry. When it cannot find food, it will point its nose to the ground, using it as a drill, and begin furiously digging towards the nearest tasty root!

Their ability to tunnel to even the most out-of-the-way plots make them a constant nuisance to farmers, who may come back to their plot to find their entire crop dug up and devoured. To make matters worse, their plort disintegrates quickly when exposed to light, making it difficult to recover from the damages a Mole slime attack might have on a rancher's crop. Should a rancher wish to avoid Mole slime encounters, they should make sure to equip their root gardens with Scareslime upgrades and harvest them regularly.

Ranchers attempting to house Mole slimes should be very careful to make sure they are adequately fed, so they do not attempt to dig out of their corral. Traditional methods of containing slimes do not account for their tunneling, and the slimes may be well underground before the rancher realizes are gone (along with half their carrot harvest).

While the Mole slime gets along with any other slime, it is not recommended to house them with Phosphor slimes, as their bioluminescence produces enough light to degrade the Mole plort. Creating a Phosphor Mole Largo is a similarly bad idea.

Plortonomics: When properly packaged, the Mole slime's plort makes for excellent plant food, without the unpleasant smell of manure or side effects of synthetic fertilizer. It also has the beneficial effect of attracting helpful insects like ladybugs and bees, making it a favorite of farmers who can pay the premium for it.

----

Hello forums! I created this slime to encourage more active ranching and gardening, since at some point in the game, there is little sense of urgency to pick up all the fruits and vegetables your gardens produce. This slime may have a more appropriate place in a multiplayer environment where players can specialize in their chores, so they can maintain their upkeep well enough to still be able to explore.

I am unsure if the plort value is enough to justify raising this slime, or if its current risks make it too hard to raise. Please let me know what you think!
3D modeler, doodler, and video game designer.
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Re: [Slime Suggestion] Mole Slime

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:28 pm

That pun... I think that pun may have killed me. >.<

I'm not really sure what to say about this. I like the idea of the slime, but I feel like the potential of it digging out of the corral (especially with the auto-feeders being rather subpar at the moment) would make it not worth raising. That, and I don't see why they'd have that negative interaction with Phosphur Slimes. It seems a bit counterproductive for the only two light-sensitive slimes to be incompatible.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Elskah wrote:That pun... I think that pun may have killed me. >.<

I'm not really sure what to say about this. I like the idea of the slime, but I feel like the potential of it digging out of the corral (especially with the auto-feeders being rather subpar at the moment) would make it not worth raising. That, and I don't see why they'd have that negative interaction with Phosphur Slimes. It seems a bit counterproductive for the only two light-sensitive slimes to be incompatible.

Hey we have the net upgrade to stop slimes from flying or jumping out, I'm sure we could have a floor upgrade as well.
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:41 pm

That's true Pyrotrap, but users in other threads have argued against having an upgrade that only benefits one type of slime (even though that's what the Solar Shield does now <.<)
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Urby » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:59 pm

I was thinking that this slime would be better in single player if the auto-feeders were smarter or targeted, or slimes were smarter about looking for food. At the moment, there is always a possibility that a slow-moving slime starves while its favorite food is right there in the corner of the corrall...

Currently, there are slimes that are incredibly hard to keep (Puddle slime, why do you keep disappearing?) but I can see the Mole slime not being an attractive slime to raise if you lose it immediately after it gets hungry, since that's a very easy condition for it to reach. A possible way to "recover" an escaped Mole slime is to make it so they get dizzy or tired upon escaping a corral, sort of like a Boom slime after they explode. They would be half buried - slightly visible, but immobile for a short time.

Alternatively, Mole slimes you own could go back to the corral after they've dug up your garden. Naughty little things!
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Elskah wrote:That's true Pyrotrap, but users in other threads have argued against having an upgrade that only benefits one type of slime (even though that's what the Solar Shield does now <.<)

Solar Shield only affects one slime: True
Air Net only affects on slime: NOT TRUE D:

Its great for.. *ahem* over-populating a corral, without worry of slimes getting out.
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:53 pm

SerSquidd wrote:
Elskah wrote:That's true Pyrotrap, but users in other threads have argued against having an upgrade that only benefits one type of slime (even though that's what the Solar Shield does now <.<)

Solar Shield only affects one slime: True
Air Net only affects on slime: NOT TRUE D:

Its great for.. *ahem* over-populating a corral, without worry of slimes getting out.

I was just talking about the Solar Shield there, not the Air Net :P
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Elskah wrote:I was just talking about the Solar Shield there, not the Air Net :P

Oh.. >____ >

Right then... Back to my... slime science...
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 am

That bloody pun. A* right there.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Urby » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:49 pm

So, I was reconsidering the whole weakness to Phosphor slimes and...

ohhhh noooooo

I still think that having "enough" Phosphor slimes should degrade the Mole slime plort, but "enough" is a wishy-washy number because I've seen people say they keep lots of largos. It seems like too much of an arbitrary bottleneck, so I think I'll make the light sensitivity sunlight-only for now.
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:54 pm

It's hard to argue with something as cute and a Phosphor Largo, I gotta admit.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Hugger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:48 pm

I did enjoy the pun, but it's pretty unreasonable.

Lets say the the slimes are about half a meter in radius. That means they each have a volume of about:

(4/3)*pi*.5^3 = .52 meters cubed

So that means there is a volume of about 3*10^23 meters cubed on these slimes.

That is a whole lot! It is about 280 earths!

But, I love your mole slime idea.
Profile Pic by Mellorine

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471
Hugger
Rancher

Postby HunterSlime » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:54 pm

I <3 this idea the mole is so good! :D
I cant wait for the hunter slimes and I love the tarr! :D
HunterSlime
Rancher

Postby SlimeyHam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:05 pm

I like this, it would be awesome to see them pop around the ground.
SlimeyHam
Chickadoo

Postby 43Darknero » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:08 pm

I love the concept art! Really cute. I would feed it all day :3
Tabby slimes are too cute I made dis http://fav.me/d9pfb3b
Thought of a slime called Angelic. Check it out!
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=883
Avatar by http://forums.monomipark.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16677
43Darknero
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 pm

I don't mind ideas like this. Because I don't see them as specific to one species. Though we do have the "Solar Shield" and "Music Box" which both only affect one species of slime atm. Remember this game is still very early in development. And these could be like placeholders for future slime species who will share these special upgrades.
Nunn
Rancher

Postby Nummles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Nice suggestion!
I like the idea of an underground-ish slime c;
Nummles
Rancher

Postby Adohr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 pm

i can imagine that Slime Rancher had a Mini-Game option and one of the mini-games were "Catch A Mole-Slime!" and u had to run around ur ranch and suck all the mole slimes and throw them away, seems fun! <333
Adohr
Chickadoo

Postby Urby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Thank you for all the nice comments! I haven't been around for a good minute, but it's nice to see people are still liking the idea. Here is another largo:

also, re: the joke:
yes, it's unreasonable. I was waiting for someone to point it out. :v
Mole Slime
Urby
Rancher

Postby graysonater377 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:23 pm

great pictures!
Huge thanks to SpeedXaaa for making my Avatar!
V 0.3.0 IS OUT!!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!! (4/13/2016)
graysonater377
Rancher

Postby Twerps3 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:38 am

THAT PUN
OH NO

help me
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:20 am

Twerps3 wrote:THAT PUN
OH NO

help me

Why did you post on a very old thread?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Return to Slime Design