[Suggestion] Slime diseases

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[Suggestion] Slime diseases

Postby Azazel » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 am

Hello all, I wasn't sure if I was gonna post this, but suggestions seem to be welcome here; I have quite a passion for game design and when I find a game I really love, and boy have I found Slime Rancher!, I just can't stop the gears from turning to what could be... but enough fluff.

Slime Diseases
The idea is that every slime on your ranch has a very tiny chance of getting sick, potentially leading to epidemics if you don't come to the rescue. The chance of a slime sickness obviously rises if you keep more slimes but the idea is that you can expect to have to deal with an outbreak on average maybe once a week, no more. The actual danger is also limited, in keeping with the low-stress vision of the game.
I suggest the following ailments, ranging from least to most challenging:

Shiver Fever
  • Indicator: Affected slimes will periodically shiver.
  • Effect: Slimes that have the Shiver Fever cannot produce plorts.
  • Contagious: Extremely. The Shiver Fever can spread to 2 other slimes, twice in a day, leading to an exponential epidemic! Additionally, the spread radius is large enough it can spread to a slime in an adjacent corral.
  • Cure: A quick splash of fresh water is all that's needed to treat the Shiver Fever.

Slime Sniffles
  • Indicator: Slime will trail a little booger. Or is it just more slime?
  • Effect: Occasionally, the affected will sneeze, sending it flying in the opposite direction and possibly out of its corral.
  • Contagious: Moderately. The slime may infect up to one other slime twice per day, in a small radius. But beware, if it goes flying out of its corral it could infect other corrals!
  • Cure: The disease will go away after a while. However, if unattended a corral of infected slimes can just keep re-infecting each other to keep the illness circulating!

Flubberbutt
  • Indicator: Slimes with Flubberbutt look extremely happy! Maybe it's not so much a disease as an inconvenience for the rancher...
  • Effect: A slime with Flubberbutt is extremely bouncy, and will delight in leaping vast distances across the ranch. It's almost impossible to keep contained.
  • Contagious: Slightly. The spread is similar to sniffles, but because the affected slime is bouncing around it may not occur that any other slimes are in range when the disease attempts to spread.
  • Cure: A pulse from the vacpack at close range. Good luck getting close enough...

Slime Flu
  • Indicator: Slime will have darker spots on its skin and will look miserable and uncomfortable.
  • Effect: High risk of player heartbreak at seeing an affected slime.
  • Contagious: Slightly. Once per day, the disease will spread to another other slime nearby.
    The radius is not large enough to jump corrals, however.
  • Cure: Slimes with the Slime Flu can be fed Wild Honey, cheering them right back up! But it's hard to obtain, so quarantining the affected slime is highly reccommended.

The Slurps
  • Indicator: No obvious visual indicator, except the slime will appear hungry even after eating, and will not become agitated either. Watch for slimes behaving oddly!
  • Effect: A slime with The Slurps has never-ending hunger, and will eat stuff outside of its diet. It will also eat its own plorts!
  • Contagious: Minimal. The slime will only infect another nearby slime if not treated for more than a few days.
  • Cure: A steady diet of carrots. If the slime eats nothing other than carrots for 6 hours, it will be cured.

Poppups
  • Indicator: Slime will hiccup every now and again.
  • Effect: Whenever the slime hiccups, there is a small chance it will go *pop* and disappear. It will then reappear nearby a few hours later.
  • Contagious: Somewhat. If a slime Pops, there is a chance that adjacent slimes will get infected.
  • Cure: Booping it on the nose with a slime toy will cause it to Pop, but it will be cured when it reappears.

The chance of an outbreak would scale inversely with the challenge rating of the disease. The diseases would not start appearing until the player has the upgrades to deal with them.

Yes, I realize you could just chuck diseased slimes in the ocean and replace them. You monster. But it makes the feature somewhat more optional for mons- players who don't want to care for their- um, players who want to focus on other gameplay features.

Possibly such a feature might introduce a new plot type, the quarantine pen. The tradeoff is that it takes up a space but makes dealing with the more challenging diseases easier. It is a cube with full glass walls, and comes with a sprayer that releases a soothing, cleansing mist. Slimes within the quarantine pen would not produce plorts, not infect each other, making it safe to put slimes of different kinds inside.

This would also require a bit more attentiveness on the ranch so personally I would suggest such a feature required a dialing down of the timespeed, or at least a way to alter timespeed on the options.

Thanks for reading.
It's easy to forget but you're playing an early access game -> back up your save files!
Azazel
Chickadoo

Re: [Suggestion] Slime diseases

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon May 15, 2017 10:55 am

Wow, great idea!
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Dragonslime » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

Gives the sick faces some uses
The rare but elusive dragon slime

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby zm78 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Nice idea!
But i don't fully agree on this for two reasons.

first: why diseases if there is nothing in sight to infect them???
maybe it have slime science resources that makes them sick???

second: then it gets harder because what if they all get sick at the same time(if first idea isn't worth it)
and i'd be hard if you where to just start exploring then every single slime gets sick.
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Postby SnailsAttack » Mon May 15, 2017 5:22 pm

I feel like some people might find this annoying, but personally I think that it's a great idea! It sounds like a very interesting way to mix up gameplay.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby JasontheBasin » Mon May 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Just make sure you don't stay out too long
Im good friends with emeraldplay, who's a Slime rancher modding god.

HAIL HIM.
JasontheBasin
Keeper

Postby SquillionthGamer » Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 pm

No offense, but I don't like this. Mainly because I don't want to see miserable Slimes...
Guess who's back(back back)
Back again
Squill is back
Tell a friend(friend friend)

SquillionthGamer
Keeper

Postby Azazel » Mon May 15, 2017 9:39 pm

zm78 wrote:first: why diseases if there is nothing in sight to infect them???
maybe it have slime science resources that makes them sick???

second: then it gets harder because what if they all get sick at the same time(if first idea isn't worth it)
and i'd be hard if you where to just start exploring then every single slime gets sick.

Well, I grew up on a farm, and sometimes diseases just seem to spring up out of nowhere. Which is always bad, but I also remember how we'd take little lambs into the house to nurse them and make sure they didn't get too cold so they could get better, and it's just too adorable to describe.

To me, ranching is all about caring for your animals/slimes, and there's something very special about nursing an animal back to health that really makes you feel more connected to them.

As for balance, I would set it to something like, every 4 days there's a 50% chance of one slime on your ranch catching a disease. Still, I agree that it's hard enough already to balance exploring in with other stuff. I'd like days to go by slower because I personally want to spend more time with my slimes, while still also getting to explore and it feels a bit counter to the feeling of the game if I'm running around sprinting all the time.
It's easy to forget but you're playing an early access game -> back up your save files!
Azazel
Chickadoo

Postby zm78 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:47 pm

ok you are right and i'd love to have sick slimes still it's a good idea to kinda have slimes only get sick
by nature every 5 days a 50% chance of one of them getting sick :)

but maybe have some even worse diseases that only come from slimes eating certain slime science resources???
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Postby Twerps3 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 pm

I have been thinking about this idea for a couple months now, but couldn't be bothered to post anything about it, glad someone did post a slime sickness post.
Hi

- SECRET!
Twerps3
Rancher

Postby Sakuramei » Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

SquillionthGamer wrote:No offense, but I don't like this. Mainly because I don't want to see miserable Slimes...

Agreed :/

The Tar already killed a lot of the fun I had with the game and I don't need something that makes it even worse.
Sakuramei
Plort

Return to General Discussion