Thoughts on Balance (Tier 1 Slimes)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Thoughts on Balance (Tier 1 Slimes)

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:36 pm

This is a part of my MegaThread of Topics. To go back or see more, heres the original post!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=430

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To simply this, Ill just go down the list of slimes and give my opinion on them.
Ill try to say my thought based on Design and Usefulness to the games mechanics I.E. How easy they are to farm and is it useful to pick them over others.
Again, these are my opinions and impressions.

The Pink Slime

I'm sure they need no introduction. They're Everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
And because of this, and their ability to eat EVERYTHING, they're nothing more than a nuisance.
I see no reason to farm them in any capacity.
This includes Largos.

I feel no need to change them though. They're an introductory slime. I just wish there was a use for them. (Slime idea in the works)

The Tabby Slime

Its a Cat Slime.
They eat Chickens and steal Fruits and Veggies.
They jump high often and just cause trouble. Due to their diet (Only meat) I don't see a reason to farm them, as I found Crops of fruits and veggies easier to maintain a large quantity of.
*NEW DATA* I'd place them as Largo Material, best mixed with Rocks, and then just farm Heartbeets.

I feel like to make them on par with Phosphor and Rocks alone, they'd have to be worth more or getting Stone Hens earlier on (Tier 1) would have to be more reliable.. And eventually they would due to the Plort Markets dives, but then you'd have to change some crops over to roosts and upgrade the roosts and it may not even be worth it after all the infrastructure costs.

The Rock Slime

My Favorite Tier 1 Slime. Always my first go to for early progression is to grab a couple Rock Slimes and start a carrot farm.
You don't need tall walls (Right away), don't need Solar Shields, and don't need air nets.
Their aggressiveness can be fixed by an Auto-Plort Collector, or careful Vacuuming. Their favorite food is the Heart Beet, which I haven't been able to find growing naturally yet, but is usually in a crate and can then be farmed.
Easily the best Tier 1 Slime.

The Phosphor Slime

A slime with some huge containment needs, but makes up for it in Dietary bonuses! To farm him properly, you need a pretty advanced Corral (Air net and Solar Shields), but is picked over the Tabby solely because their Diet and Favorite food is easily obtainable and farmed. They also only spawn at night so they're predictable to grab when you need them.
I used to always Largo them with the Rock Slime, until Community member Elskah showed me a better use of Rock Tabbies. (Thanks again!) And use this combination as an Alternative when the plort market drops.

That's all for this thread now. Ill add more when more Tier 1 Slimes are available.
And here's the link to thread for the Tier 2 Slimes discussion!
!Coming soon!
Last edited by SerSquidd on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Re: Thoughts on Balance (Tier 1 Slimes)

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Rock Slimes are actually probably the second slime you'll see. While Tabbies spawn in the same place as Rocks, the Rocks spawn closer to the entrance of that section and Tabbies spawn further.

Pink Slimes are useful if you don't like one slime's diet - Largo it, the beginner's answer to diet problems until they find a slime with a more preferable diet that they can take care of.

Heart Beets don't require going far, but grow in hidden places, so you have to explore and go in places far off where you normally would think to go to find them.

Cuberries, on the other hand, are more in plain sight but require going to the edges of the Dry Reef, near the Moss Blanket (which you already figured out).
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:10 pm

SerSquidd wrote:Their favorite food is the Heart Beet, which I haven't been able to find growing naturally yet, but is usually in a crate and can then be farmed.

They do grow naturally, and actually quite close to the ranch. Get the jetpack upgrade and start jumping on ledges and looking out over the sea. There's plenty of areas that are just off the normal path that spawn very interesting things, like Heart Beets!

SerSquidd wrote:I feel like to make [Tabby Slimes] on par with Phosphor and Rocks, they'd have to be worth more.

Agreed, although making a Largo of a Tabby and either a Phosphur or a Honey makes them very easy to feed, and then you can feed them the occasional Stony Hen you find in the wild (I've found a place that spawns several of them with no predatory slimes around, and it's not far from the ranch, so it's a great source of food for the Tabby Slimes) in addition to other foods. Just be careful with making Rock Tabbies or Boom Tabbies, as Tabby Slimes and Tabby Largos will run up to and crowd around the player if you get too close--which obviously makes them extremely dangerous when they can damage you. >.< (Due to this I found out that you interestingly aren't knocked out when you hit 0 health, but only when you go below it. I nearly had a heart attack when my health bar hit 0 after trying to collect my Boom Tabby plorts. c': )

Also, you seem to forget that the Tabby Slimes are simply adorable, and that in itself is enough reason to farm them. <3

As for the Phosphur Slimes, if you think Tabbies aren't worth it because of their diet (which can be eliminated by making them Largos), but think the extra money for a Solar Shield and/or the Grotto expansion is, I'm not really sure what to say there? If you want to Largo 2 of the tier 1 slimes together, the easiest combination would be Rock and Tabby; you can get the Heart Beets easily to make them drop 4 plorts at a time, and they don't need a Solar Shield, and would probably be fine without an Air Net as well. The only issue would be what I mentioned earlier, that Rock Tabby Largos will move closer to you and thus could be dangerous, but as you said you can eliminate the danger by having a Plort Collector on your Corral, so you don't ever need to go inside it.

SpiralRancher02 wrote:Cuberries, on the other hand, are more in plain sight but require going to the edges of the Dry Reef, near the Moss Blanket (which you already figured out).

There is also another area where Cuberries spawn that can only be reached with a jetpack, and it's pretty close to the Heart Beets. :D (And obviously they spawn in plain sight within the Moss Blanket as well.)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Elskah wrote:There is also another area where Cuberries spawn that can only be reached with a jetpack, and it's pretty close to the Heart Beets. :D (And obviously they spawn in plain sight within the Moss Blanket as well.)

Yep! I never bother with those though, since they fall into the sea as soon as they drop off the trees. (You're talking about the ones growing off the side of the Pink Gordo island, right?)
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:25 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:Yep! I never bother with those though, since they fall into the sea as soon as they drop off the trees. (You're talking about the ones growing off the side of the Pink Gordo island, right?)

Yes. Those things. >.< They led to my first knockout. c':
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Elskah wrote:As for the Phosphur Slimes, if you think Tabbies aren't worth it because of their diet (which can be eliminated by making them Largos), but think the extra money for a Solar Shield and/or the Grotto expansion is, I'm not really sure what to say there? If you want to Largo 2 of the tier 1 slimes together, the easiest combination would be Rock and Tabby; you can get the Heart Beets easily to make them drop 4 plorts at a time, and they don't need a Solar Shield, and would probably be fine without an Air Net as well. The only issue would be what I mentioned earlier, that Rock Tabby Largos will move closer to you and thus could be dangerous, but as you said you can eliminate the danger by having a Plort Collector on your Corral, so you don't ever need to go inside it.

I guess I could eliminate the Solar Shield and just do Rock Tabbie Largos, and forgot about Cuberries. I'll have to find this Heartbeet spawning area, but if all it costs is a Jetpack then its cheaper and more efficient then the solar Shield.
But they'd still need the Airnet. Normal Tabbies usually jump right out of Tall Walls, and I wouldn't need Aggressive Tabbies jumping all about xD

I guess I only considered them better due to an easier grab for their Favorite food (Pre Tier 2)
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:46 pm

If you're having trouble finding the Heart Beets, just go out of your ranch to where the first Pink Slimes spawn, and then explore to your left. Remember to jump on ledges and stuff. They're not hard to find! :D

And as far as the Air Nets, I only ever needed them for Phosphor Tabbies. My Rock Tabbies stayed in just fine without them.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Elskah wrote:If you're having trouble finding the Heart Beets, just go out of your ranch to where the first Pink Slimes spawn, and then explore to your left. Remember to jump on ledges and stuff. They're not hard to find! :D

And as far as the Air Nets, I only ever needed them for Phosphor Tabbies. My Rock Tabbies stayed in just fine without them.

Yeah.. I tend to.. Overpopulate my Corrals >__>

The Airnet is more like a lid on top of a bursting bottle.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:Rock Slimes are actually probably the second slime you'll see. While Tabbies spawn in the same place as Rocks, the Rocks spawn closer to the entrance of that section and Tabbies spawn further.

...Never mind. Whether Tabbies or Rocks are found first depends on which path the player chooses.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Return to General Discussion