A Reason to play!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

A Reason to play!

Postby SerSquidd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 pm

This is a part of my MegaThread of Topics. To go back or see more, heres the original post!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=430

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the big things I've found while playing through Slime Rancher is that there's not much Threat or Purpose I feel. The threat of a Tarr invasion on your farm is pretty minimal (Never happened for me) with proper planning. And even without, as long as you have Tall Walls and Air Net upgrades on your Corral, and don't Overpopulate a single corral, there ZERO risk of escapes. (Again, my personal experience) Also, Tarrs' travelling in from the wild has never happened and can't imagine it really being a possibility.

Aside from that, I feel like the games more so a waiting game. Waiting on Food to grow, waiting on Slimes to feed, Cash in. A "Run to Completion" (New file, going to the point where you're swimming in money and almost never have to leave your farm or idle) only takes about 2-3 Hours. I'd personally love to see a "Story" Mode, AND a "Challenge" Mode.

Challenge would be like this;

You owe a huge debt! You must into your debt every X amount of days. The X amount gets larger every time until you pay off the full amount or bust. The game would force you to play the Plort market intelligently (have diverse plorts), punish you for making mistakes like Accidental Tarr invasions, getting knocked out, over saturating a plort market.
I would like to also see certain scripted events happen in this mode. Like Scripted Tarr Invasions, Plort Market Crashes, Winter/Drought, etc. These event could me for seen by the MAIL SYSTEM and would encourage players to keep an eye on their mail for tips and fore warnings.
Rewards for completing these Challenge modes could be Cosmetic, Leader boards, etc. Generally, I feel like there needs to be a reason to keep playing.

Thank you all for reading and I'd love to discuss anything related in the area below!
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Re: A Reason to play!

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 am

I really, really hate time limits. Part of the reason this game is accessible to me is that I can spend as much time as I need to wandering about aimlessly and it's okay if I completely forget what I set out to do or get lost and have to re-deduce what I had meant to be doing later. Forcing a time crunch would ruin that.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Ladyjovia » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:40 am

There are games that don't have really any events, plots, or end game, like some harvest moon games which are farming games. yes some have debts or plots or stuff and even one has a time limit but.... if they do put these things in i would also like to see a sandbox mode or an option to turn those kinds of things off.
Ladyjovia
Plort

Postby SerSquidd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 am

Absolutely! This idea was more-so based the idea of a Challenge mode or Story Mode. Sandbox would still be absolutely a thing.
Rock Slimes just want to hug you! LET THEM HUG YOU, YOU MONSTER.
SerSquidd
Rancher

Postby machallboyd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:21 am

I would be pretty happy with some astronomically expensive ranch feature to aspire to.
machallboyd
Chickadoo

Postby dckhat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 am

Like many have said, I don't like the idea of time limits or end game type of goals.

Maybe we could use scenarios you can set at the start of the game like in the civ games where you can WIN by completing some criterias or just choose freeplay mode and that is it.

A major selling point to me in this game is that it feels so much like Harvest Moon. And the best HM games were the ones where you could just farm forever.

Maybe also including expensive stuff to buy at late game like there was the Mountain Cottage, the City VIlla and the Beach House like in Friends of Mineral Town would be great.

Maybe some sort of more in depth upgrade system that requires materials besides the money as was the carpenter and blacksmith also from Harvest Moon and maybe limit the number of resources you can get every day like lumber was limited?
dckhat
Plort

Return to General Discussion