Difficulty settings pitch

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Difficulty settings pitch

Postby PlortInMyFort » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:01 am

Slime Rancher is an easy game for the most part, with the only real difficulty occurring if you dive headfirst into an enclosure full of dangerous slimes, or falling off the edge of something because you misjudged the gap / ran into invisible wall. I adore the game's atmosphere with the music and slime interactions, and I know that you all feel the same way, but it seems that more experienced individuals could get through the game with barely a setback.
One could argue that chip damage from various slimes could end your life, but with the healing system forgiving the slightest mistake, it's very rare for that to happen. Even the hunter largos in the moss-blanket - who seem to be really dangerous at first; are far less of a threat once you realise you can camp in a corner and increase your health rapidly.

I'm not proposing value editing for the entire game, nor an overhaul of the design, but increased complexity in the form of difficulty settings. No-one likes regular enemies to become huge health sponges that can move at a supersonic pace.
Here are some suggestions for what these could change, hopefully not ridiculously out of place in universe.

Tarr:
-Damage output and health increased
-New attacks that specifically target the player
-Variants that have a unique ability but weaker in certain areas (e.g. screeching ones that direct tarr to a location but far slower, glass cannons, some that can only go after resources and ones that can use slime abilities).
-Randomly ambush after unlocking the workshop or a certain number of days with fair warning

Water nozzle (your vacgun):
-A pressure system with trade offs:
-At the weakest level, only applies water in its most basic sense, displacing objects and causing very little damage to tarr, like one was just sitting in water
-At its peak, this would expend water really quickly and need to charge, but cause destruction of any slime based organism due to impact.
-Different turrets could add a lite tower defence element
-Water gathering towers

Health:
-Reduce or remove healing at a standstill, replace with a DOOM-esque system
-Health dispensers in exchange for money
-Health packs that take up item slot

Thank you for reading.
Last edited by PlortInMyFort on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlortInMyFort
Chickadoo

Re: Difficulty settings pitch

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Nice idea!
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby JasontheBasin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm

GIVE ME A G, GIVE ME A R, GIVE ME AN E, GIVE ME AN A, GIVE ME A T, GIVE ME AN I, GIVE ME A D, GIVE ME AN E, GIVE ME AN A.

THIS IS A G R E A T I D E A
Im good friends with emeraldplay, who's a Slime rancher modding god.

HAIL HIM.
JasontheBasin
Keeper

Postby Caminator » Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Great Ideas! I like the variant one especially, the tarr should take on the abilities of the previous slimes it was made up of! I think that would help a bit with making them more difficult, and unique. Just imagine, an exploding, radiating, flying tarr monster! Also a ranged attack for the Tarr would be cool, like a spit or something.
Caminator
Plort

Return to General Discussion