Quality of life suggestions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Quality of life suggestions

Postby TheMikirog » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:00 am

Slime Rancher is a pretty polished game, but sometimes there are stuff that just annoy me and should be relatively easy to patch.

Make harvesting fruit from trees faster or easier. I want to get the fruit quickly, so I just wander around my ranch until they fall themselves, but there should be an easy way out. Maybe an auto-harvester and planter upgrade, because sucking them up with the vac-pack is tedious. That was already discussed on the forum, so yeah.
Make picking up plort from silos less annoying. For example I have Puddle Plort silos in the Docks and I want to suck up exactly 50, but because the vac-pack gets faster, releasing right click might miss the next plort that was coming right up, making them fall on the ground and breaking. This also applies to plort that are resistant to physical damage, because I then have to shot one of them into the coral, becuse I took one too many due to vac-pack sucking speed increasing. Even if I release the button earlier to get exactly 50, the last one is not sucked up, so I have to press the right button again to pick it up from the ground.
Making slime abilities active after a certain time of being close to slimes. For example near my Lab I have Quantum Rad Largo slimes. They don't teleport away until they are fed, but after I enter the Lab and before the auto-feeder starts dispensing food, they're already outside, so I HAVE to pick those who escaped and put them back into their corals. I had a lot of food, so I should be fine. Teleporting quantum slimes should only do that when I don't take care of them.
Built teleport pads should have a small image of the destination, just as regular teleporters found in the world. Each location has an image like this and I'm suprised that the teleporters I'm able to set up don't have these notifications. There are colors, but if there are many of them in the same area, I might get confused. Small thing, but helps.

These are all things. I hope they will be implemented soon.
TheMikirog
Plort

Re: Quality of life suggestions

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

Good ideas!
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Java » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 am

Yeah, the whole dropping plorts thing really annoys me too.
java/tira, he/him pronouns, panro-ace demiboy.

be gay, drink cider, break boundaries

"Patto hikatte saita, hanabi o miteta,
Kitto mada owaranai natsu ga!"
Java
Rancher

Postby Kitana » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 am

I agree on all these points, but with a few additions:

- The bug of crops being vibrated loose from the vacpack was a fantastic thing. It was MUCH faster to shake the crops loose and then vac them up all at once than wait for them to pop naturally or slowly vac them out of the ground/tree. If a garden auto-harvester device is never implemented, I am of the firm belief that this bug should be brought back as a feature.

- Agreed. One solution: Make it so when you've filled your vac-pack with the max of one item, you simply cannot pull any more of that item towards you with the suction. Maybe have a little on-screen message pop up that says 'You can't carry any more of this item!' or something.

- Another idea: A misting system for the corral to keep abilities suppressed. Alternatively, a hydro-turret upgrade/cousin that detects slime abilities and routinely sprays them with water to clear the effect. Both could be crazy-expensive to unlock to justify having them available. (Side note: I've found the Grotto to be a good place to house Quantums. Even if they get out, they're fairly easy to round up again)

- Good idea, but it may not work out in certain situations. Lets say you had teleporters in two different sections of the Moss Blanket; both would show the Moss Blanket picture as their destination. Better solution: Let us either label teleporters individually, or assign a wide variety of SR icons to them. Example: in the case of the two teleporters in the Moss Blanket, one could project a Hunter Slime icon, while the other projects a Honey Slime.

Additional ideas to consider:
- More teleporters. Please, for the love of gods, MORE TELEPORTERS. I've already burned through all of them, and as it stands won't have any available for the Glass Desert when it comes out. If the icon idea above was implemented, we could have multiple teleporters of the same color without getting them mixed up.
- On that note: Let us have more freedom in the placement of certain SS items. I get it, Letting us put Warp Tech, Gordo Snares, Spring Pads, or even Med Stations literally anywhere could be a coding disaster; but why limit us in the placement of decorative/passive utilities? Taming Bells and Hydro Turrets already require installation time before them become functional; why not just let us place them anywhere and let the installation time be enough discouragement to move them willy-nilly? There are multiple spots that I would love to place a Taming Bell, but there isn't a build site in the area to accommodate it (even if it would make sense for one to be available logistically).
- Let us downgrade 7Zee Club upgraded areas of the ranch, or give us some different aesthetic options to choose from; In specific-- PLEASE LET ME MOW THE LAWN IN THE OVERGROWTH. I can't find anything in the new shoulder-tall grass, and the area made my PC lag on higher visual settings even before the upgrade existed. It could be a really nice place to put decorations and customize the fauna to our own liking, but as it stands it's very hard to use/forage from, especially post-upgrade.
- More Slime Toy kiosks in different sections of the ranch, or let us teleport with toys. As it stands, moving toys is just plain tedious, especially if we need to transport multiples to different areas.
- Air nets/covers for Coops. Not to keep the chickens in, but to keep the Largos and Slime totems out. Or, maybe a little tar toy we can toss in that acts like a scareslime?

I think those are all my unique points to add at the moment.
Kitana
Chickadoo

Postby SnailsAttack » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm

TheMikirog wrote:Slime Rancher is a pretty polished game, but sometimes there are stuff that just annoy me and should be relatively easy to patch.

Make harvesting fruit from trees faster or easier. I want to get the fruit quickly, so I just wander around my ranch until they fall themselves, but there should be an easy way out. Maybe an auto-harvester and planter upgrade, because sucking them up with the vac-pack is tedious. That was already discussed on the forum, so yeah.
Make picking up plort from silos less annoying. For example I have Puddle Plort silos in the Docks and I want to suck up exactly 50, but because the vac-pack gets faster, releasing right click might miss the next plort that was coming right up, making them fall on the ground and breaking. This also applies to plort that are resistant to physical damage, because I then have to shot one of them into the coral, becuse I took one too many due to vac-pack sucking speed increasing. Even if I release the button earlier to get exactly 50, the last one is not sucked up, so I have to press the right button again to pick it up from the ground.
Making slime abilities active after a certain time of being close to slimes. For example near my Lab I have Quantum Rad Largo slimes. They don't teleport away until they are fed, but after I enter the Lab and before the auto-feeder starts dispensing food, they're already outside, so I HAVE to pick those who escaped and put them back into their corals. I had a lot of food, so I should be fine. Teleporting quantum slimes should only do that when I don't take care of them.
Built teleport pads should have a small image of the destination, just as regular teleporters found in the world. Each location has an image like this and I'm suprised that the teleporters I'm able to set up don't have these notifications. There are colors, but if there are many of them in the same area, I might get confused. Small thing, but helps.

These are all things. I hope they will be implemented soon.

I agree with all of these ideas. Picking fruit is too annoying, quantum slimes teleport around even if they have food, and teleporter pads can get confusing.

I'd like to ask how you had planned to improve silos though? I'm not sure what the problem is?
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby Kalkrona » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 pm

A change for the silos and other such storage slots: when the suction button is released, close off the storage and let the stream slow down long enough to allow the last item taken to reach the vacpack. That way nothing can fall on the ground.
Kalkrona
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion