Slime Rancher v0.5.1 Discussion Thread

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: Slime Rancher v0.5.1 Discussion Thread

Postby base4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Here's my two cents on the newest update to Slime Rancher.

Gordo Snares
Gordo Snares are relatively good. They're cool to get more gordos into the game than otherwise provided by the game itself. However, there are some issues. You can't control what gordo you get. I've gordo snared 3 heart beets to get a rock gordo, ending up with a rad gordo and two pink gordos instead. That's not very fair, considering it costs resources to manufacture these. On top of that, there's not much incentive to pop them. The rewards are minimal, unless you want a certain type of slime.

Good idea, mechanic needs adjustment.

Hobson's Notes and Casey's Letters
Good stuff, I like them. They add a little more depth to the ranch and to Beatrix. Nothing else to say here, just perhaps tweak Hobson's notes. They seem to be missing, like, commas or something in places where they should be.

The Docks
This is great, I like the new area's aesthetic and the pond for puddle slimes is very useful.

7zee Rewards Club
Everyone's a bit mixed on this right now. The prices are very high, and it requires a lot of dedication. The rewards are mostly comprised of visual stuff and customization, which is okay, I guess. In many ways, I can see what Monomi Park was going for. It's different, and I like different, but it gets tedious. I think it was supposed to work in conjunction with the player as the game progressed, not be done all at once, which is the issue here. We're just not playing the game from start to finish, and when you do that, the rewards club plays much better into the rest of the game.

Slime Toys
A good addition to reduce aggravation. Cute stuff, not too expensive. No complaints.

Overall, good update. The game just needs the upfront content to come out before the side-content, like the content coming in the Glass Desert update. Once the Glass Desert comes out, the mechanics should start to meld together more smoothly.
Slime Ranch? More like RANCH DRESSING, am I right!?
Check out this slime idea I came up with: The Rewind Slime
And my theory on the Ancient Ruins: What are the Ancient Ruins?
base4
Rancher

Postby jereG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 pm

I love everything in the update but one thing keeps bothering me, to me the docks seem a bit useless. The docks are ment for some more experienced ranchers, but not slime sience level. I think that you should be able to lower the nets into the sea and than retract them to get some rare resources, or maybe plorts from slimes that we will never see? For the rest of the update i love everything.
jereG
Chickadoo

Postby PrismSlime » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Gordo snares are fine. They're only the novice ones so it makes sense that it may prove difficult to get the right gordo to appear. more advanced ones will be available later to make it easier. Also, they only require the most common resources aside from hunter plorts. Which is super useful since it let me get rid of the loads of stuff i didn't have room for in my refinery that were just sitting in a huge pile in my barn. The crates they drop always has one ofthem give extractor resources, which i've gotten several rare resources from like strange diamonds and royal jelly. Don't think i've gotten a lava dust from one yet.

The letters and notes from Casey and Hobson are cool, I wasn't paying attention enough to notice typos though. But i did notice a couple errors in the 7ZRC letters. I do wonder though how often you're supposed to get letters from Casey. If it's on set days, or just after so many days since updating your game. Or if it is on set days, if you end up getting them quicker if you're already hundreds of days in.

I love the docks, my only real complaint is that i'll no longer be able to have one of every gordo there once the glass desert slimes come out. =x

7ZRC is a bit of an odd one. I feel like a lot of people focus purely on getting as much money as possible cuz they're excited for the next reward. i know i was lol. the vacpack upgrade is a real life saver! and i love all the upgrades, even if only the overgrowth really got a vip treatment from it. (and next to nothing for the lab >.>)

slime toys are great fun, but i do think they could be tweaked a bit. i feel like the beach ball for pinks should be more bouncy, and the obvious issue of puddle slimes jumping at the rubber ducky, and ending up landing outside of their water.

the 0.5.1 update added a lot more longevity than the ruins imo. made the tedious farming cycles that you end up getting stuck in a lot easier and more fun to just be in a more aesthetically pleasing environment.

btw, does anyone know if echo nets have a limit of how many you can place at once? is it 6 like with extractors? or unlimited?
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

*I make a note to only post original ideas that I haven't seen others suggest.
PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby Oppis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I was in the Moss Blanket and just found in the big entrance aerea ( of update 0.3.5) some pink tabbys playing with a yarn-ball?

Are Slime toys also outside the world? :o
Oppis
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

So far what I want to know is what the factors are that will cause slime toys to disappear from the world map. I will have to go do some intensive testing for that one.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 am

SpiralRancher wrote:So far what I want to know is what the factors are that will cause slime toys to disappear from the world map. I will have to go do some intensive testing for that one.

Slime toys should never disappear unless you actively destroy them. Are they vanishing form your corrals or something?
Nick
Developer

Postby Dragonslime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

Nick what can you do about the ruins there a one trick pony like a new slime or something
The rare but elusive dragon slime

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Nick wrote:
SpiralRancher wrote:So far what I want to know is what the factors are that will cause slime toys to disappear from the world map. I will have to go do some intensive testing for that one.

Slime toys should never disappear unless you actively destroy them. Are they vanishing form your corrals or something?

I was moreso thinking of taking the toys out in the open wilderness and see what happens. But no, not as of yet. Though boom plorts getting blown right out of their corral and into the other end of the Grotto is giving me slight concerns.

And by actively destroying them, I assume this will work when throwing a slime toy into an incinerator. Come to think of it, will an incinerator destroy a crate and its content or simply just crack it open? That's something else I should try out.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Dragonslime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Probably both

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby Jeaniedw83 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm still having issues with my puddle slimes at the docks I seem to lose one in the water fall and a pond every couple of days
Jeaniedw83
Chickadoo

Postby Cheshire » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:23 pm

base4 wrote:7zee Rewards Club
Everyone's a bit mixed on this right now. The prices are very high, and it requires a lot of dedication. The rewards are mostly comprised of visual stuff and customization, which is okay, I guess. In many ways, I can see what Monomi Park was going for. It's different, and I like different, but it gets tedious. I think it was supposed to work in conjunction with the player as the game progressed, not be done all at once, which is the issue here. We're just not playing the game from start to finish, and when you do that, the rewards club plays much better into the rest of the game.

As someone who just got into the game, so far the rewards club has been pretty well paced with my means of production. It also gives some good goals for after you unlock all the different areas on the ranch.

PrismSlime wrote:I do wonder though how often you're supposed to get letters from Casey. If it's on set days, or just after so many days since updating your game. Or if it is on set days, if you end up getting them quicker if you're already hundreds of days in.

That's what I'm wondering. Casey sends a letter about once every week so I seem to see him as somebody trying to reconnect to someone they haven't talked to in a while, but people seem to relate him to a creepy ex. Does his letters come in faster if you played before the update?
Cheshire
Plort

Postby PrismSlime » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:28 pm

well one of the letters is clearly in response to something Beatrix had sent so i'd like to think they're still on good terms. also the frequency of the letters may also be contributing to the opinion of Casey being pushy.
If you want a Gordo as big as possible before starting to tremble, feed it 21 of any food that isn't its favorite!

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby DavidRojas32 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

I love this update. It finally gave me a use for all of my new bucks which were just sitting around for a while.
DavidRojas32
Plort

Postby Bloo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:56 am

I think a way to improve the feel of the Casey letters, is instead of having Bea's replies be automatic and invisible (which makes his correspondence seem like a one-way emotion dump), have there be a 'Reply' button and a 'Close' button at the bottom of the letters; and if a person presses 'close' they dont get any more letters after that one, but if/when they press 'Reply' it either sends the invisible response from Bea, or maybe a short reply automatically types out so we can see what Bea is saying in response.

That way it would feel more like we're watching Bea interact, rather than be talked at.
Bloo
Chickadoo

Postby PrismSlime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:55 pm

i'd much prefer to see Bea's side of the conversation. btw, does anyone know when the gordo snares unlock in the lab? i was already hundreds of days in so i got it immediately, but i'm wondering if it came super early- or even available as soon as you get the lab- could allow you to get hunter slimes before even unlocking the moss blanket by snaring a hunter gordo and popping it.

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby DarkCreature97 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 am

DarkCreature97 wrote:I love the upgrades to the expansions, but you have to agree that the upgrade to the lab is drier than the dry reef.

Now that i think about it, maybe the lab it's ment to look like the Glass Desert. Because the Grotto looks like the Indigo Quarry, the Overgrowth looks like the Moss Blanket and the Docks is ment to look like the Ruins after the upgrade from the 7Zee Rewards. So i guess the reason that the upgrade in the lab is so dry is because it has to look like the Glass Desert.
I want more Slime Rancher tings fam.
DarkCreature97
Keeper

Postby Dragonslime » Thu May 04, 2017 4:37 pm

PrismSlime wrote:i'd much prefer to see Bea's side of the conversation. btw, does anyone know when the gordo snares unlock in the lab? i was already hundreds of days in so i got it immediately, but i'm wondering if it came super early- or even available as soon as you get the lab- could allow you to get hunter slimes before even unlocking the moss blanket by snaring a hunter gordo and popping it.

For reasons I already had the blueprint to buy

Also where is the damn echo net pod

EDIT: I believe it's a treasure pod sry I just fully read your post

Lol

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby CakeFlour » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Something's been bugging me. How did Hobson leave notes inside the Ruins and other areas if the doors to them all were locked?
Support the goal of Golden Puddles!
CakeFlour
Rancher

Postby Cheshire » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm

CakeFlour wrote:Something's been bugging me. How did Hobson leave notes inside the Ruins and other areas if the doors to them all were locked?

It's possible Hobson locked them all himself. Not sure why he would do that, but I also have no clue where he went so...
Cheshire
Plort

Postby DarkCreature97 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:42 pm

DarkCreature97
Keeper

Postby PrismSlime » Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 pm

been waiting for that new skybox for a long time~ and HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BIG MOON

PrismSlime
Keeper

Postby DarkCreature97 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:35 pm

PrismSlime wrote:been waiting for that new skybox for a long time~ and HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BIG MOON

Timelapse of the new skybox
https://twitter.com/monomipark/status/8 ... 5743498240
DarkCreature97
Keeper

Postby Dragonslime » Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm

PrismSlime wrote:been waiting for that new skybox for a long time~ and HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BIG MOON

That's no moon

255 limit sucks
I am multitude of things
Rancher
Explorer deluxe
Half time terrarian
Half time inventor
Full time toa hero
1/4 book writer
Dragonslime
Rancher

Postby zm78 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 pm

PrismSlime wrote:i'd much prefer to see Bea's side of the conversation. btw, does anyone know when the gordo snares unlock in the lab? i was already hundreds of days in so i got it immediately, but i'm wondering if it came super early- or even available as soon as you get the lab- could allow you to get hunter slimes before even unlocking the moss blanket by snaring a hunter gordo and popping it.

i unlocked the treasure cracker about when i got the lab on day 18.
i think that should be fine to stay! it's a nice feature for gordo friends(requires 5 hunter plort's).
EDIT: i meant "gordo snare" not "treasure cracker"
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

Postby zm78 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 pm

seen w.i.p glass desert! look's good!

still wondering does the "glass dessert" map piece or other map pieces get added in your current playing world when updated???
if yes then that means i wont have to start a new world!

EDIT: "glass desert" is AMAZING!!!
Those ears, That coin, That wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
zm78
Rancher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion