Largo and Tarr Creation Suggestions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Largo and Tarr Creation Suggestions

Postby Pyrotrap » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:22 pm

I think the current system of how Largos and Tarrs are made could use some changing because Largo's can be way overpowered in a controlled area like the ranch but be so volatile in the wilds with 3 or more types of slime in close proximity they are pretty much guaranteed to turn into Tarrs whenever you visit or pass through unless you take the time to dump all the slimes and plorts into the sea. Either way it ruins the cool nature of all these slimes living together, so here are some suggestions I thought of that might improve the game:

1. Make slimes less likely to eat plorts on their own. This would slow down the natural creation of Largo's in the wild and consequently greatly lower the chance of a Tarr forming naturally, allowing an ecosystem with more than 2 types of slime to be more stable so you can enjoy it or indulge yourself with some free ranging with multiple types of slimes in the Overgrowth without worrying as much about Tarrs ruining everything. The likeliness of slime eating a plort could increase with how hungry they become so you'd still have to pay attention to keep your slimes fed and happy or risk losing them. This would also make the honey slime negative be more of a detriment because slimes would be more likely to eat them as well.

2. Make Tarrs more dangerous. In order to balance the decrease probability of a Tarr outbreak, they should become more dangerous so you're more likely to lose more slimes or get KOed by one (which would lose you time and possibly cause some of your surviving slimes to remain unfed and resort to eating plorts). Right now you can just pick up Tarrs and shot them over the mountains or into the sea to get rid of them. I would suggest having them do more damage and attack faster so when you're holding them you have to aim and shoot quickly to avoid take damage.

3. All for more experimentation of the player with Largos. This one is more for when a ton more slimes are added, like I'd hope there would be in the future, but it could still be put in now. Some 3 slime combinations should work to make Largos while some 2 slime combinations shouldn't. For example 3 slimes that have the same diet (Tabby, Boom, [future slime]) or some other similar defining trait could possibly become a slime that's a stage after Largo. Meanwhile a trying to make normal 2 slime Largo from a Phosphor and a slime like the Leafy or Shrub ones suggested in other posts should cause the formation of a Tarr or fail in some other way since the two slimes are so incompatible that their DNA, or whatever slimes have, just can't be fused together. This could potentially also be expanded to include ideas similar to the slime breeding from another post in which trying to make a largo from the combination of two slimes like the Rock slime and something like a Cloud slime would result in the creation of an entirely new slime, in this case a Lightning slime.
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Re: Largo and Tarr Creation Suggestions

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Pyrotrap wrote:2. Make Tarrs more dangerous. In order to balance the decrease probability of a Tarr outbreak, they should become more dangerous so you're more likely to lose more slimes or get KOed by one (which would lose you time and possibly cause some of your surviving slimes to remain unfed and resort to eating plorts). Right now you can just pick up Tarrs and shot them over the mountains or into the sea to get rid of them. I would suggest having them do more damage and attack faster so when you're holding them you have to aim and shoot quickly to avoid take damage.

This would cause some problems with the achievement for holding a Tarr.

The achievement requirements should probably be reduced.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 pm

I'm definitely all for Tarr getting more dangerous, but less common in the wild. Biodiversity is fun to see, but there should still be that deterrent factor re: just dumping all your slimes in the same box.

And I love the idea of there being some terrible reaction when you try to mix slimes with incompatible needs. Maybe even another one of those "You Monster" achievements, too.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pyrotrap » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:13 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
Pyrotrap wrote:2. Make Tarrs more dangerous. In order to balance the decrease probability of a Tarr outbreak, they should become more dangerous so you're more likely to lose more slimes or get KOed by one (which would lose you time and possibly cause some of your surviving slimes to remain unfed and resort to eating plorts). Right now you can just pick up Tarrs and shot them over the mountains or into the sea to get rid of them. I would suggest having them do more damage and attack faster so when you're holding them you have to aim and shoot quickly to avoid take damage.

There's an achievement for holding a Tarr? huh.
Pyrotrap
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Pyrotrap wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

There's an achievement for holding a Tarr? huh.

Yeah, there's a gold achievement called "Once Bitten, Twice... Bitten" for: "Hold onto a Tarr for 15 seconds." Dropping the Tarr not allowed.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Return to General Discussion