Something stupid I just noticed

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Something stupid I just noticed

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Why did you guys take down the slime rancher 0.2.2 version download?

It makes no sense to do that, the version was free, and then you just put a price tag on it? I understand making later versions that require you to pre-order the game to get them, but why the version you gave away for free? It makes no sense! I'm all for support of you guys, but this just seems greedy to me, why would you take down an ALREADY FREE VERSION, and then require us to pre-order to get the version you put up for free? Just why? I know i'm just restating the same point several times, but it's a geniune question, why do this?!
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Re: Something stupid I just noticed

Postby Azreide » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:59 pm

Because later on they'd have an official demo and they don't just want everybody playing the full version of their pre alpha for free.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby TheDarkSlime » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 am

Azreide wrote:Because later on they'd have an official demo and they don't just want everybody playing the full version of their pre alpha for free.

This^ it's not $20 for the 0.2.2 version, it's $20 for the full game AND early access. They know what their game is worth and it doesn't benefit them to let thousands of people download it for free at this point, they got the publicity they needed :)
TheDarkSlime
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:14 am

To play devil's advocate, I think what he is saying, is that thousands of people already downloaded the pre-alpha for free. The pre-alpha version that they gave away should remain free, but no more will be added to it. Much like the minecraft version that was free (when minecraft was still in beta, around 1.3 - I think the 1.2 version was still available to download.
xenxander
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 am

xenxander wrote:To play devil's advocate, I think what he is saying, is that thousands of people already downloaded the pre-alpha for free. The pre-alpha version that they gave away should remain free, but no more will be added to it. Much like the minecraft version that was free (when minecraft was still in beta, around 1.3 - I think the 1.2 version was still available to download.

Exactly.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Tearlow » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:11 am

I don't get what all the fuzz is all about... A version was released for "Free" aimed for a select few and someone got wind and let others know about it. Devs was nice enough to allow the people whom found it to tag along so to speak. So this "Free" version you speak of wasn't even intended for you or the thousand others.
Tearlow
Plort

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:26 am

Tearlow wrote:I don't get what all the fuzz is all about... A version was released for "Free" aimed for a select few and someone got wind and let others know about it. Devs was nice enough to allow the people whom found it to tag along so to speak. So this "Free" version you speak of wasn't even intended for you or the thousand others.

https://gyazo.com/30a5853fc5eda85674c3488528cbbf94

You couldn't have been more wrong.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:23 am

DeltaStorm wrote:
Tearlow wrote:I don't get what all the fuzz is all about... A version was released for "Free" aimed for a select few and someone got wind and let others know about it. Devs was nice enough to allow the people whom found it to tag along so to speak. So this "Free" version you speak of wasn't even intended for you or the thousand others.

https://gyazo.com/30a5853fc5eda85674c3488528cbbf94

You couldn't have been more wrong.

Well we shouldn't be angry at them for temporarily taking down the free download. As your link says they will add a free-to-download version again later.
The Devs have their reasons for why they do that and I agree with DeltaStorm that we rather should be thankful that they gave some of us a free pre-alpha version to download and play.

Not every game developer does that and only because they were so nice to temporarily give us a free version to download we are not entitled to force them putting the download up again.

Also whoever really wants to play the game even before the full version is out can pre-order the game and will then still get the pre-alpha download:
Nick wrote:Access to the current Pre-Alpha build of Slime Rancher can be acquired by pre-ordering Slime Rancher:

Those who don't want to pre-order it, even though they want to play the game can at least be patient enough to wait for the developers giving us the next free downloadable version.

I don't see any justification for being angry at the developers.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 am

Hopefully the full version of the game would be different enough from the pre-alpha version to still warrant buying it despite being able to get the pre-alpha for free.

That being said though, a demo version could possibly implement new features they will be adding, but limit gameplay to a certain number of days or something like that. That way you'd be able to get a better feel for the game, but still need to buy it if you want to play past day 10 or so. Thinking about it, that makes more sense than leaving an essentially finished, playable version of the game on the forums for free download. And as I've said in another thread, nothing is really free; they needed feedback and testers to push the game further, so they offered a version people could download in order to test it. Now they have their feedback (and probably more than they expected), and they need money in order to get anywhere else. You can say it's greedy all you want, but if they don't get enough money, they won't be able to keep developing. That's just how it works; it's not greedy, it's business.

Besides, if you're here on the forums you probably already have the 0.2.2 version downloaded, so this isn't even affecting you. There's not much point in complaining about it. Instead you should feel lucky that you got it for free!
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:56 am

Elskah wrote:Hopefully the full version of the game would be different enough from the pre-alpha version to still warrant buying it despite being able to get the pre-alpha for free.

That being said though, a demo version could possibly implement new features they will be adding, but limit gameplay to a certain number of days or something like that. That way you'd be able to get a better feel for the game, but still need to buy it if you want to play past day 10 or so. Thinking about it, that makes more sense than leaving an essentially finished, playable version of the game on the forums for free download. And as I've said in another thread, nothing is really free; they needed feedback and testers to push the game further, so they offered a version people could download in order to test it. Now they have their feedback (and probably more than they expected), and they need money in order to get anywhere else. You can say it's greedy all you want, but if they don't get enough money, they won't be able to keep developing. That's just how it works; it's not greedy, it's business.

Besides, if you're here on the forums you probably already have the 0.2.2 version downloaded, so this isn't even affecting you. There's not much point in complaining about it. Instead you should feel lucky that you got it for free!

The reason I am is because I suggested to my friend you should try out slime rancher, and he was upset to see he has to pre-order for it now instead of getting a version which was put up for free. And the game is no where near finished, els, it's gonna be released late this year most likely, not within the next 3 months, that time is way too soon and it would be rushed. They could have kept up the download, and said to us 'if you want the newer versions, please pre-order and you'll get them as they become available' saying that is enough to get people to buy the bloody game. I don't know alot about business myself, but this seems pretty logical to me.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby z0mbiesrock » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:47 am

DeltaStorm wrote:
Elskah wrote:Hopefully the full version of the game would be different enough from the pre-alpha version to still warrant buying it despite being able to get the pre-alpha for free.

The reason I am is because I suggested to my friend you should try out slime rancher, and he was upset to see he has to pre-order for it now instead of getting a version which was put up for free. And the game is no where near finished, els, it's gonna be released late this year most likely, not within the next 3 months, that time is way too soon and it would be rushed. They could have kept up the download, and said to us 'if you want the newer versions, please pre-order and you'll get them as they become available' saying that is enough to get people to buy the bloody game. I don't know alot about business myself, but this seems pretty logical to me.

TheDarkSlime wrote:
Azreide wrote:Because later on they'd have an official demo and they don't just want everybody playing the full version of their pre alpha for free.

This^ it's not $20 for the 0.2.2 version, it's $20 for the full game AND early access. They know what their game is worth and it doesn't benefit them to let thousands of people download it for free at this point, they got the publicity they needed :)

" $20 for the full game AND early access". The "free" 0.2.2 version isn't going to get updates. The $20 v0.2.2 has better online functionality, and will be updated! It's like Minecraft's development cycle.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:51 am

z0mbiesrock wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:

TheDarkSlime wrote:

" $20 for the full game AND early access". The "free" 0.2.2 version isn't going to get updates. The $20 v0.2.2 has better online functionality, and will be updated! It's like Minecraft's development cycle.

'Better online functionality'

What does this even mean? But you're missing the point i'm making. You see, the free version should remain free, I don't care if later versions cost money, because I don't, but the FREE version should remain FREE
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:25 pm

This is really just a difference of opinion. I don't consider a pre-alpha playtest version to be a free version, I consider it to be a testing version to get feedback and bug reports. If our opinion differs then neither of us is really going to be able to persuade the other.

Regardless of our opinions, they've already decided what they're going to do. Complaining about it isn't going to change their minds.

(And I really hope this isn't coming across as rude >.< I'm just trying to diffuse this before it turns into an argument.)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 am

Elskah wrote:This is really just a difference of opinion. I don't consider a pre-alpha playtest version to be a free version, I consider it to be a testing version to get feedback and bug reports. If our opinion differs then neither of us is really going to be able to persuade the other.

Regardless of our opinions, they've already decided what they're going to do. Complaining about it isn't going to change their minds.

(And I really hope this isn't coming across as rude >.< I'm just trying to diffuse this before it turns into an argument.)

I remember a time in gaming in which alpha was always free, and developers PAID YOU( or at the minimum, let you play free through all the updates until release) to test their beta, but beta was of course closed, and open only to those who played the alpha/pre-alpha builds, and were very active in the forums. Of which, usually a lottery was used to select the closed-beta testers.

I miss the 90's sometimes ^-^;
xenxander
Rancher

Return to General Discussion