Steam Realease Q&A (hopefully)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Steam Realease Q&A (hopefully)

Postby irdog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:10 pm

First off this thread is for the people that want there questions answered by (hopefully) the devs or other people

Now for my questions!
1.Will the game be free?
2. Will there be multiplayer?
All for now!
P.S. I know that its in PRE-alpha.
._.
Thanks for reading down here! kisses for youMUAH

Thanks to SpeesXaaa for the avatar!
irdog
Rancher

Re: Steam Realease Q&A (hopefully)

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:19 pm

1. Considering that currently you have to pay to pre-order it, I highly doubt the game will be free.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby irdog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Maybe but you could have pre ordered TF2 but it was free.
Thanks for reading down here! kisses for youMUAH

Thanks to SpeesXaaa for the avatar!
irdog
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Why would the game be free? That's not rhetorical, just give me an actual reason as to why you think that.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby mechleg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:47 am

irdog wrote:Maybe but you could have pre ordered TF2 but it was free.

Team fortress 2 released in 2007, and went free to play in 2011, before that it costed money.
Anyhow, single player indie games that cost money usually don't turn into f2p games, I'm not the developer obviously but slime rancher being f2p sounds very unlikely.
mechleg
Plort

Postby MortalitasBorealis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 am

Considering it takes money to pre-order the game right now, there should be no way the game will be free on release. I just wonder about the price, since 20 dollars is too much for me for a game like this, maybe 10 dollars at most.
MortalitasBorealis
Chickadoo

Postby Elskah » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:41 am

MortalitasBorealis wrote:Considering it takes money to pre-order the game right now, there should be no way the game will be free on release. I just wonder about the price, since 20 dollars is too much for me for a game like this, maybe 10 dollars at most.

$20 may seem like a bit much for the game as it currently is, but given what we're expecting for the full release within the year, I'd say it's a perfectly fair price! And also remember that this is considering the game doesn't (currently, not sure about the future) have any microtransactions sucking up upwards of $50 per purchase (unlike many many many other games I could mention). Besides all of that, the developers do need to keep making money in order to keep making the game, so I'd say they asked for a fair price. It definitely isn't easy to put together something like this and they're operating very quickly, so it makes sense to ask for compensation for their hard work. :)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby skydart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 am

MortalitasBorealis wrote:Considering it takes money to pre-order the game right now, there should be no way the game will be free on release. I just wonder about the price, since 20 dollars is too much for me for a game like this, maybe 10 dollars at most.
Right now it is pre-order with access to development versions, Steam-Key and DRM-free version after release - buying it on Steam could be Steam-only and then the price might be lower... we'll just have to wait and see.

Buying it as pre-order now is also just a way to support the Devs, so I am okay with it having a higher price-tag now, than maybe after release.
skydart
Rancher

Postby Voxel » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:48 am

Pretty sure there won't be multiplayer. As much as I want Co-Op the game is listed as a "single player experience."
Voxel
Chickadoo

Postby MortalitasBorealis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 am

Elskah wrote:$20 may seem like a bit much for the game as it currently is, but given what we're expecting for the full release within the year, I'd say it's a perfectly fair price! And also remember that this is considering the game doesn't (currently, not sure about the future) have any microtransactions sucking up upwards of $50 per purchase (unlike many many many other games I could mention). Besides all of that, the developers do need to keep making money in order to keep making the game, so I'd say they asked for a fair price. It definitely isn't easy to put together something like this and they're operating very quickly, so it makes sense to ask for compensation for their hard work. :)

Well, obviously it's hard work and I can deeply respect what the devs have done so far, but to me the "value" of the game would still depend on the depth of the gameplay by release. Even if they expand the map to 10 times the current size and triple the amount of slime species, if the gameplay is still what it is right now and nothing more, namely finding slimes, sucking them up, sticking them in a fully upgraded corral and feeding them every once in a while, it'll get stale too fast to justify a $20 purchase.

Of course, we don't know what Monomi Park really has in mind for the full game and how much they'll add and change to what facets of the game. I'm just stating my opinion based on the game's current status. I truly hope by the time the game's fully released, it'll really be worth the 20 dollar price tag to me, because this game has a lot of potential :)
MortalitasBorealis
Chickadoo

Postby Jredos » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:12 am

A game with this amount of development put into it surely won't be free, and that's fine. Monomi should be able to profit off their good work. The $20 fee we pay now for early builds is what goes toward them being able to create quality content and polish the game to be even better. For Valve, they probably will ask Monomi to charge a bit less, though I don't believe they'd technically have to. Also, for those comparing pricing to TF2 (Team Fortress 2) Valve owns full rights to that game and series. Which means it's basically their own branding (hence why it's free). Though it should be mentioned the idea for that game came from a mod for Quake way back in the day. Slime Rancher is a completely original title free of reliance on a base AAA title.

TL:DR

1. Will the game be free? (No, and that's fine.)
2. Will there be multiplayer? (There is evidence of potential co-op. If someone wants to browse the game code and look for more evidence, that would be cool!)

P.S. If you want Slime Rancher to become a bigger more polished game in the future continue to be active in promoting it to your friends. Support Social Media sharing of it, and keep submitting bug reports if you think you found one. :)

Jredoslogotiny.png
Jredoslogotiny.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Jredos: Gamer, Youtuber, Let's Player, Literally Lethargic

Shameless Self Bump
Jredos
Plort

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 am

Jredos wrote:A game with this amount of development put into it surely won't be free, and that's fine. Monomi should be able to profit off their good work. The $20 fee we pay now for early builds is what goes toward them being able to create quality content and polish the game to be even better. For Valve, they probably will ask Monomi to charge a bit less, though I don't believe they'd technically have to.

When does valve EVER do this? With Garry's Incident: Day One, they should have GIVEN money to play it if this was true!

Jredos wrote:Also, for those comparing pricing to TF2 (Team Fortress 2) Valve owns full rights to that game and series. Which means it's basically their own branding (hence why it's free). Though it should be mentioned the idea for that game came from a mod for Quake way back in the day. Slime Rancher is a completely original title free of reliance on a base AAA title.

How does it being property of valve make it free? The game had a huge fan base, and Valve saw an opportunity to make money and made it F2P, but not P2P, and it was successful. And HOW does the fact the idea came from an entirely game make the decision for it be free good? That makes NO sense!

Jredos wrote:2. Will there be multiplayer? (There is evidence of potential co-op. If someone wants to browse the game code and look for more evidence, that would be cool!)

What evidence? Every mention of a multiplayer for the game on these forums NEVER had any evidence it was going to be implemented into the game. And also, you can't even browse the game code unless you want to break the law by Unity's terms and services.

Jredos wrote:P.S. If you want Slime Rancher to become a bigger more polished game in the future continue to be active in promoting it to your friends. Support Social Media sharing of it, and keep submitting bug reports if you think you found one. :)

The game is polished enough to be a stand alone game on game jolt, and be uber successful! And it's in pre-alpha! They know their crap, also, why would promotion even help at this stage anyways? The game is currently spreading through youtube like wildfire, we don't need to at this rate.

Jredos wrote:
Jredoslogotiny.png

What the hell is this?

Also I cringed incredibly at your obviously high thinking of yourself. I know this by you adding a bloody signature/logo like you're it, saying there's nonexistent evidence for something you want, and thinking you know about the industry.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Return to General Discussion