Slime Ideas

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Ideas

Postby CountFraaz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 am

I just wanted to make a post where everybody can post their slime ideas. So here you go

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=371
This is a link to DeltaStorm's guide to creating slimes (It's actually quite helpful)
CountFraaz
Plort

Re: Slime Ideas

Postby hlaalu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

Off the top of my head, a late in the game slime that eats Tarr. The challenge/risk here would be having to create Tarr for feeding.
hlaalu
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm not confident enough in this one to write it up properly yet, but I can't get the mental image of a cute slime with a leaf growing out of its head out of my head. Eats vegetables and loves sunshine... But there's the problem. It's happiest in sunlight, so they won't be happy in a pen with a Sun Shield. =\
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby addievt » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:I'm not confident enough in this one to write it up properly yet, but I can't get the mental image of a cute slime with a leaf growing out of its head out of my head. Eats vegetables and loves sunshine... But there's the problem. It's happiest in sunlight, so they won't be happy in a pen with a Sun Shield. =\

That's actually incredibly brilliant because they won't be happy at night either so no cave, no sun shield, and either needs to be sucked up at night or have a light addition. The natural opposite of those annoying phosphor slimes lol
addievt
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 pm

addievt wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:I'm not confident enough in this one to write it up properly yet, but I can't get the mental image of a cute slime with a leaf growing out of its head out of my head. Eats vegetables and loves sunshine... But there's the problem. It's happiest in sunlight, so they won't be happy in a pen with a Sun Shield. =\

That's actually incredibly brilliant because they won't be happy at night either so no cave, no sun shield, and either needs to be sucked up at night or have a light addition. The natural opposite of those annoying phosphor slimes lol

They don't die in the dark, but they become very grumpy and inconsolable Wilty Slimes and only produce Wilty Plorts, which aren't worth as much as Leaf Plorts. Then they turn back into Leaf Slimes in the morning.

But folks didn't like it when my suggested Deep Slime needed a Slimewater pond, because then you can't keep freshwater slimes in it. And the example I was given was that the Sun Shield doesn't ruin a pen for raising non-Phosphor slimes. A sunlight-loving slime would make the Sun Shield ruin a pen for Leaf Slimes, and that defeats the point of making it an upgrade, and vice-versa for a sun lamp ruining the pen for Phosphor slimes. =(
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:18 pm

The solar shield is really only useful until you get the grotto though, because then you don't need the solar shield to raise phosphor slimes. So maybe the sun lamp could be another upgrade like the solar shield, but there could be another expansion area that is constantly sunny, or has lots of sun lamps around, in order to raise these Leaf Slimes either in free-range or in corrals without them turning Wilty at night, and without needing the upgrade. Since they seem to be the opposite of the Phosphor Slimes, having similar mechanics seems reasonable.

As for other slime ideas, I've had the idea of a Compost Slime, that will eat fruits or vegetables but prefers something like a Trash Canteloupe, and its Compost Plorts aren't worth much but can be shot at growing plants to fertilize them, which speeds up their growth by a small amount. (I also thought that perhaps it would prefer food that was rotten, which makes it a good idea to either have it free-ranging or to have only a few of them and put lots of food in their corral, so that some of it would rot before they eat it. Or just make rotten food able to be picked up, but nothing but the Compost Slimes will eat it.)
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Ooh, I like the idea of an area with perpetually-sun-equivalent lighting. Maybe trees covered in a fungus that's black during the day and lights up like the sun at night.

Compost Slimes sound neat! The rotting food being pick-upable seems like it could interfere with despawning mechanics/double the number of fruit and veggie items that need adding, though. Maybe if you try to pick up a rotting fruit/veggie, it still does the "explodes into dust" kind of thing but also you get some sort of Rotten Mush item?
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby ComicalSkate » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:56 pm

I already have posted one of my ideas here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=240 Its a vac slime!
ComicalSkate
Plort

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Yeah, I felt like them eating rotten food would be really hard to work out, so adding something like Rotten Mush would be a great solution. I really just wanted a slime whose plorts were used specifically to do something around the ranch instead of selling, and compost was the first thing that came to mind! Although I guess they could just make a Compost Box or similar kind of structure to do the same thing. But a slime would be cooler.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby EbonyBane » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Well I heard an idea from a youtuber, I wanna say it was splattercat but that's probably wrong, about a bird slime, and I really like the idea, so I thought about it and What about a hen-hen slime? Like, they're pretty rare, they can spawn out of the chicken nests in the wild sometimes and they don't get along with Tabby slimes, more specifically, the Tabby's think they're hen-hens, so Tabbys will eat the poor bird slimes. I was thinking of calling them anything from feathered slimes to Clucky Slimes, and the flavor text would be something similar to 'This slime sure seems pretty (un)clucky!' They'd probably like Veggies or something like Cuberries, because of all the seeds in them, but they would probably be able to eat anything other than meat to be honest, maybe just a natural slime that can eat both fruits and veggies without needing to have Lorgos. They'd have wings so they'd be pretty hard to keep in any pen without having the air net, in fact it'd be pretty impossible, so more flying slimes like the Phosphor slimes is a good idea in my book.
EbonyBane
Plort

Postby Elskah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Tabbies can't eat any other kind of slime though, so maybe eating the Clucky Slime would make them sick? Not really sure how that would work. But otherwise I agree that there need to be more flying/floating slimes, since the Air Nets aren't really worth it, even with Phosphor Slimes! The only slime type I've had so far that's been able to escape from a pen with high walls is the Phosphor Tabby Largo.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby funisfun8 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 pm

I LOVE this idea! I did a picture in Inkscape. Image
funisfun8
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:58 pm

*eeeeee!* Thank you! I'm pixelling up one, too. :3
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby funisfun8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Pigcatapult wrote:*eeeeee!* Thank you! I'm pixelling up one, too. :3

By the way. I think it should be called a Leafy Slime and it's plorts could be used for fertilizer.
funisfun8
Plort

Postby OMGZombehs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:07 pm

There's another thread like this: here

I really like the plant slime. It's like an adorable bouncy green apple. <3
I finally had an idea for a slime, which i;m going to put in both threads I guess.

A mimic slime!. It looks like, and produces plorts of, another slime but it's face is always a lolling tongue. Too cute. >u <
It can't become a Largo, nor can it become a Tarr. If it picks up a different plort than it's own type it just becomes that slime type.
I think it would be a rare spawn when any other slime spawns, and only one can spawn a day.
It could even eat a gold plort to become a way to farm gold plorts. (Though a very rare and difficult way.)
They'd also be really easy to overlook. Unless you pay close attention to all the slime that spawn in area, and their faces especially, you'd miss it.

A gold mimic picking up another plort accidentally would be such a sadness. T -T

---

Just realized someone in the other thread had a similar idea, but called it a Spy Slime. WELP.
Whee! Whoa! Woo hoo!
OMGZombehs
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 pm

funisfun8 wrote:
Pigcatapult wrote:*eeeeee!* Thank you! I'm pixelling up one, too. :3

By the way. I think it should be called a Leafy Slime and it's plorts could be used for fertilizer.

Ah! You have a good point there. I'll change the name. And yes, if fertiliser plorts ever get added, Leafy Plorts should be in that category. :3

Although now I'm really, really conflicted about how I want the Leafy Slime to be shaped. XD I was planning to have them look thin and stemlike like this

And then when they're Wilty they become very flat and wide, but your version is so cute! And I really like the "green apple" imagery idea.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Return to General Discussion