Let's make a wiki - gamepedia or wikia poll

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Let's make a wiki - gamepedia or wikia poll

Postby Krakob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:21 am

Poll: https://strawpoll.me/6336698

As briefly discussed in the subreddit thread, we should make a wiki and since Monomi have no plans on making one of their own, it means it's up to the community so we might as well get started. I'm not much of a wiki editor but I'm sure we can make something awesome if we work together!

The biggest services available are as far as I know Gamepedia and Wikia.

A few differences:
  • Gamepedia is more of a traditional wiki, whereas Wikia has more social features, which can be a good thing but could also lead to splitting the community.
  • This is also the case in design, where Gamepedia wikis are more like Wikipedia while Wikia has its own design.
  • Wikia has more ads.

Sample wikis:

If you have any other suggestions, please do tell!

Edit: changed poll (previous one had wrong choices)
Krakob
Admin

Re: Let's make a wiki - gamepedia or wikia poll

Postby AutofireII » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:16 am

I voted Gamepedia. I like the Minecraft wiki because it's relatively simplistic and makes it easy to focus on what you are reading. Wikia, on the other hand, seems to enjoy making you as distracted from what you're trying to read as possible. Has flashy backgrounds, lots of videos, lots of polls, and lots of ads. I do not know whether Gamepedia is a paid service, though. It's more likely for Wikia to be free due to all the ads. I assume you might know a bit more about this, as I did little research.
You are experiencing a PICNIC ERROR!
AutofireII
Chickadoo

Postby Krakob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 am

I prefer gamepedia too, for mostly the same reasons. I think it's free, or it would be absolutely impossible for Curse to ever have enstablished a competitor to Wikia as they successfully did. Nevertheless I haven't looked into making one entirely but I believe you have to send a request to the gamepedia admins to make it.
Krakob
Admin

Wikiiiii

Postby Hexlash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Why don't we use the same wiki platform the Spiral Knights wiki uses? Then again there's that strange glitch with that wiki.
I'd be fine with anything!
Hexlash
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:33 pm

The SK wiki uses MediaWiki (check the bottom right corner on the SK wiki), for which someone would need to host a server. Gamepedia and Wikia provide their own hosting, we just need to sign up for a wiki. Either way, Gamepedia is more similar to SK Wiki than Wikia is.
Krakob
Admin

Gamepedia, of course!

Postby coolm5224 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Gamepedia has no ads, and its system is really easy to use! Wikia, on the other hand, has LOADS of ads, and i like to play with the wiki open!
Thanks to SpeedXaaa for the amazing avatar!
coolm5224
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:01 pm

I sent a suggestion to make a Slime Rancher wiki on Gamepedia. It seems that you can't just make one but hopefully they'll accept. The process looks like it's handled by people and actual contact with Gamepedia administration, not necessarily just automated systems.
Krakob
Admin

Gamepedia

Postby ZeakStarwind » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Gamepedia would be more prefered choice and to me it's a easier to view information than what wikia does. Either way, whatever works out.
I choose my own path...Destiny is not of virtue. Also...Lizards...
ZeakStarwind
Chickadoo

Postby Splendid » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:18 pm

I didn't know this thread existed and created a wikia yesterday as soon as I played the game for an hour, I was so stunned by how polished gameplay can be in pre-alpha, and the cute slimes were just too adorable for me not to contribute, I hope this isn't an issue as I already plan on working on it.
Slime Rancher Wikia Page:
http://slimerancher.wikia.com/
Splendid
Chickadoo

Postby Krakob » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:08 am

It's not a problem unless we split our efforts. If we work together we'll be able to make a better and more comprehensive wiki. It's up to you whether you want to work on the Wikia or not but I advise you to wait until we can see if we can get a Gamepedia or not and work on it if we do get it, seeing how it's more popular in the poll.

In case you do start working on the wikia and we get the gamepedia and you'd rather work on that, you could probably port over your work to the gamepedia given that they probably use the same format.
Krakob
Admin

Postby coolm5224 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:44 am

i cant find the wiki anymore :(
Thanks to SpeedXaaa for the amazing avatar!
coolm5224
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Here's Splendid's wikia: http://slimerancher.wikia.com/wiki/Slime_Rancher_Wikia

I'm still awaiting a response from Curse regarding Gamepedia. Given that it's the holidays and we're playing a pre-alpha game, I think we can be quite patient :)
Krakob
Admin

Postby Fate » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm willing to help on whatever Wiki site we do, I prefer the coding of the Spiral Wiki user, but I would be cool with either. Count me in with helping!
Fate/Prometheus~
Fate
Chickadoo

Postby Blazing » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:02 pm

Krakob has there been any reply from Gamepedia yet? I'm more than happy to help when it's all setup
Do hit us up at The Sora League's Pokemon Showdown Server.
We are currently opened for Challengers and Members.
Hit the link above and be magically teleported to our server.

Youtube, Steam

See you on the Ranch!
Blazing
Chickadoo

Postby ADcrafter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 am

Ok, lets work on it!

Edit: nevermind, i used to work on Portal's wiki, but its very different than this... i dunno where to start or what to do.
money is the barrier of dreams.
ADcrafter
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 am

Sorry, nothing yet! I'm gonna pop them a mail after new years - I'd guess they might be on holidays right now.
Krakob
Admin

Postby CrazeePi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Any luck yet?
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby Krakob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Nope. I'd guess staff didn't come back till yesterday Monday, so I'll give it a few more days before popping a mail. I think I'd get a mail in case of denial anyway, so there's no real need for a rush.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Vajra » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't know if a decision has been made (didn't read the second page yet), but as a longtime user of the RuneScape wikia, I would compelled to say that Wikia would be good...other than their ads, which are only slightly short of horrendous. For that reason, I ask of you...don't use Wikia =c

EDIT: OK, this is why I need to read before posting. >_< A decision has been made I see XD
Is it slime time? =3
Vajra
Plort

Postby Krakob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Seems it's a lot more even now, it used to be about 3:1 in favour of Gamepedia. Either way I think it's the better choice, but people have already started working on the wikia (see: http://slimerancher.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity) which could be started without any interaction with site admins.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Krakob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:09 am

I've posted on Gamepedia's "Ask an admin" section now. It seems the Wikia has a bit of content now but the admin has gone missing.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Elskah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 am

If any help is needed with the wiki once it's set up I'd be more than willing to offer my assistance. I can help with getting screenshots and such, and I'll probably post my observations about certain slimes every now and then. And if the Wikia's admin doesn't come back, perhaps we should consider making another Wikia if Gamepedia doesn't get back to us?
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Krakob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:49 am

I'd assume there are better systems in place for taking over a wikia. I don't think they want duplicate wikis - it's confusing for both users, editors, and clutters their systems.
Krakob
Admin

Postby DeltaStorm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:52 am

Krakob wrote:I'd assume there are better systems in place for taking over a wikia. I don't think they want duplicate wikis - it's confusing for both users, editors, and clutters their systems.

I want to do this so bad, I just want a gamepedia or a wikia, the current wikia is dying :P.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby funisfun8 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 pm

What about just working on the Wikia and then if we get a Gamepedia, we can just port stuff over and leave a note on the Wikia saying we moved?
funisfun8
Plort

Next

Return to General Discussion