Using Plorts to buy upgrades

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Using Plorts to buy upgrades

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 pm

As has been said previously, upgrades are too easy to get and you can progress through the game quite quickly. Instead of increasing the price, I think that Plorts should be used in addition to money.

Plort Uses (going by Slimepedia info):

Pink Plorts: Various, mostly forcefields
Rock Plorts: Metals
Tabby Plorts: Player upgrades
Phosphur Plorts: Lighting-related upgrades
Rad Plorts: Things that would probably need something powering them
Boom Plorts: Weapons/fire and/or weapon/fire-related things
Honey Plorts: Various food-related items, natur-y stuff
Puddle Plorts: Anything water-related
Gold Plorts: High-tier upgrades

Upgrade costs:

Corrals

High Walls: 20 Pink Plorts, 5 Rock Plorts
Music Box: 15 Rock Plorts, 5 Rad Plorts
Autofeeder: 10 Rock Plorts, 5 Honey Plorts
Air Net: 30 Pink Plorts, 15 Rad Plorts
Plort Collector: 20 Pink Plorts, 15 Tabby Plorts, 5 Rad Plorts
Solar Shield: 20 Pink Plorts, 10 Phosphur Plorts

Coops

High Walls: 15 Pink Plorts, 5 Rock Plorts
Spring Grass: 15 Tabby Plorts, 15 Honey Plorts
Vitamizer: 15 Boom Plorts, 15 Rad Plorts, 10 Tabby Plorts

Gardens

Nutrient Soil: 10 Rock Plorts, 10 Honey Plorts
Sprinkler: 5 Rock Plorts, 35 Puddle Plorts
Scareslime: 30 Pink Plorts, 20 Tabby Plorts, 20 Honey Plorts, 5 Phosphur Plorts

Silos

Additional Storage: 30 Pink Plorts, 10 Rock Plorts

Player Upgrades

Jetpack: 40 Tabby Plorts, 25 Rad Plorts
Air Drive: 50 Tabby Plorts, 40 Rad Plorts, 20 Boom Plorts, 1 Gold Plort
Dash Boots: 30 Tabby Plorts, 5 Rad Plorts
Pulse Wave: 20 Rad Plorts, 30 Boom Plorts
Heart Module: 20 Pink Plorts, 15 Tabby Plorts
Heart Module Mk II: 30 Pink Plorts, 25 Tabby Plorts, 20 Boom Plorts
Heart Module Mk III: 50 Pink Plorts, 50 Tabby Plorts, 40 Boom Plorts, 1 Gold Plort
Power Core: 20 Pink Plorts, 15 Tabby Plorts
Power Core Mk II: 30 Pink Plorts, 25 Tabby Plorts, 20 Rad Plorts
Power Core Mk III: 50 Pink Plorts, 50 Tabby Plorts, 40 Rad Plorts, 1 Gold Plort
Tank Booster: 20 Pink Plorts, 20 Rock Plorts, 5 Boom Plorts
Tank Booster Mk II: 30 Pink Plorts, 30 Rock Plorts, 10 Boom Plorts
Tank Booster Mk III: 40 Pink Plorts, 40 Rock Plorts, 25 Boom Plorts, 25 Phosphur Plorts

-----

Post opinions below, as well as price changes if you feel any are necessary.
Last edited by SpiralRancher02 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Re: Using Plorts to buy upgrades

Postby LittleXdav » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:36 pm

So what would money serve for? Purchase food for slime at store?
LittleXdav
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 pm

LittleXdav wrote:So what would money serve for? Purchase food for slime at store?

Money would still be required as well - The Plort cost is in addition to, not replacing, the original cost.

I should specify that in the OP, editing now.

EDIT: Done.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Goodbehavior » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:06 pm

tbh, a pretty awesome idea, if you think about it, you can get a fully upgraded coral extremely soon in the game. Awesome.
And if you have to use the Plorts for coral upgrades and others AND have to use Money aswell, it gets pretty challenging, maybe they do multiple difficulties to start levels, for example: Easy: Only Money, Medium: Plorts and Money, Hard: Plorts and Money (More of it) [Or something else they may add, like use foods too]
Goodbehavior
Plort

GENIUS

Postby Hexlash » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Woah, that's a perfect idea! Makes all types of slimes useful, and makes the game more challenging!
Hexlash
Rancher

Postby mechleg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:55 am

The idea sounds great but the amount of requirements is really big, and this "Solar Shield: 20 Pink Plorts, 10 Phosphur Plorts", that's just brutal, if it's my first phosphur slime corral it's going to take forever.
I can understand your perspective, it's a nice challenge, but for a new player who just started it might look like a huge grindwall.
mechleg
Plort

Postby Elskah » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:46 am

mechleg wrote:The idea sounds great but the amount of requirements is really big, and this "Solar Shield: 20 Pink Plorts, 10 Phosphur Plorts", that's just brutal, if it's my first phosphur slime corral it's going to take forever.
I can understand your perspective, it's a nice challenge, but for a new player who just started it might look like a huge grindwall.

Instead of getting the Solar Shield you could just save up the 950 for the Grotto expansion... Honestly it's very easy to get that within a day or two. Or you could just grab some Pogofruit and head out one night to feed some Phosphors, and again it would be easy to get 10 Phosphor plorts within a night. I think calling it a "huge grindwall" is a bit of an overstatement... Maybe you were just forgetting that you can feed wild slimes to get their plorts?
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby iron » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:23 am

I like this idea very much, i think it's a nice way to complement game progression, however i think it is conflicting with the current way things are set up, heres why.
Have you tried having all slime types, i don't think its possible, or if it is, it's not really pleasant gameplay anyhow.
So do you dump your cute rock slimes that you have fed for days to replace them with tabby slimes? are you sure you wont need the rock plorts in a while for a new upgrade? still not a pleasant solution IMO.
Or do you run out into the world forever to find some honey plorts cos you dont have space to shelter the honey slimes?

The way this can work would be to have more room to separate slime types, like corrals split in 4, or just smaller plots with smaller corrals.
Last edited by iron on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
iron
Plort

Postby MortalitasBorealis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:27 am

I am in full support of requiring plorts to upgrade things (not necessarily the prices stated here), it gives them more purpose than selling them and encourages keeping more slimes than just the most profitable ones. Plorts really need to be more versatile to encourage having a wide variety of slimes on the ranch. Heck, I'd even suggest making the house an actual place you can go into instead of a menu and make it so that you can make items with plorts to use on your adventures/decorate your house and ranch.
MortalitasBorealis
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:55 am

mechleg wrote:The idea sounds great but the amount of requirements is really big, and this "Solar Shield: 20 Pink Plorts, 10 Phosphur Plorts", that's just brutal, if it's my first phosphur slime corral it's going to take forever.

You can go gather fruits (either in the wild or the Ranch) and just throw them at every Phosphur or Pink Slime you find in the wild (if they're still hungry). Honestly quite easy IMO, I've tried it before.

Though maybe if that new player doesn't think of grabbing Plorts on the ground at night or feeding wild slimes...

Do you have any suggestions for changing the prices?

iron wrote:Have you tried having all slime types, i don't think its possible, or if it is, it's not really pleasant gameplay anyhow.

Yes, I have, and still succeeded, by making them into Largos.

iron wrote:So do you dump your cute rock slimes that you have fed for days to replace them with tabby slimes? are you sure you wont need the rock plorts in a while for a new upgrade? still not a pleasant solution IMO.

Nope, make Rock Tabby Largos!

As you posted in a part of this post I didn't quote, there could also be a Corral upgrade that divides it into multiple sections. If holding Largos is difficult, that could work - Adding it to my suggestion list now...

Do you have any suggestions on what could be done instead of Plorts being used for upgrades?
Last edited by SpiralRancher02 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:40 am

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
Vitamizer: 15 Boom Plorts, 15 Rad Plorts, 10 Phosphur Plorts

Wouldn't the 10 Phosphur Plorts be Tabby plorts, since the stored chemical energy (This goes to stuff like growth, so it would make sense)? Or the boom slimes?
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:43 am

DeltaStorm wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

Wouldn't the 10 Phosphur Plorts be Tabby plorts, since the stored chemical energy (This goes to stuff like growth, so it would make sense)? Or the boom slimes?

Changed.

Boom Plorts are already present in the cost.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby DeltaStorm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:06 am

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
DeltaStorm wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

Changed.

Boom Plorts are already present in the cost.

I meant replace the booms or phosphors.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:42 am

MortalitasBorealis wrote:I am in full support of requiring plorts to upgrade things (not necessarily the prices stated here), it gives them more purpose than selling them and encourages keeping more slimes than just the most profitable ones. Plorts really need to be more versatile to encourage having a wide variety of slimes on the ranch. Heck, I'd even suggest making the house an actual place you can go into instead of a menu and make it so that you can make items with plorts to use on your adventures/decorate your house and ranch.

Decorating your house and ranch with items made from plorts seems like both a super awesome idea (though probably not a priority for the developers at the moment :P) and a good money sink for later in the game! I totally agree with this.

DeltaStorm wrote:Wouldn't the 10 Phosphur Plorts be Tabby plorts, since the stored chemical energy (This goes to stuff like growth, so it would make sense)? Or the boom slimes?

I think SpiralRancher was using Phosphur Plorts because they give off light, and I believe the Vitamizer upgrade is the one that puts the little light in the corner of your coop? (Forgive me if I've gotten them mixed up. >.<) I think Phosphur would make more sense than Tabby, but maybe Rad Plorts would make a bit more sense than Boom? Honestly, there could be a lot of different combinations that make sense to build any of these upgrades. :/
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Elskah wrote:I think SpiralRancher was using Phosphur Plorts because they give off light, and I believe the Vitamizer upgrade is the one that puts the little light in the corner of your coop? (Forgive me if I've gotten them mixed up. >.<) I think Phosphur would make more sense than Tabby, but maybe Rad Plorts would make a bit more sense than Boom? Honestly, there could be a lot of different combinations that make sense to build any of these upgrades. :/

Yeah, the Vitamizer puts the light, that's why it was there originally.

True, there are a lot of combinations that would work...
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Return to General Discussion